ogre's 2011 Swamp Rat JK

Swapped out the flimsy battery terminals for a set of Quadratec ones.  Installed a TB spacer and installed the hardtop.  The hardtop was free but needed some repairs.  Got that done last weekend and had to wait for some hardware that arrived this week. 

5de0bcb6ce9ace762f3b3fbf5a2a6b15.jpg

cc263653255abde4e43c611dba98b9c5.jpg

Sent from my mobile device

Thanks. An update on the top and this weather. Top is leaking pretty good. I suspect that the seals are probably the culprit. I looked at them before install and they looked fine, but maybe they are drier and cracked places I couldn't see? I'll look into updating the seals soon. Otherwise the top is so much quieter than the soft top and seems to hold the heat better.

ogre45 said:
Thanks. An update on the top and this weather. Top is leaking pretty good. I suspect that the seals are probably the culprit. I looked at them before install and they looked fine, but maybe they are drier and cracked places I couldn't see? I'll look into updating the seals soon. Otherwise the top is so much quieter than the soft top and seems to hold the heat better.

Just a FYI our 2011 leaked like a siv, Jeep redesigned the seals in 2012 to try to fix that. So depending on the tops year there may be an upgrade available. Also I found a cool roll of seal at Lowes that I plan to use on the CJ to help it seal better. If may help your cause too.

Added a steel rear bumper I got for Christmas.  And swapped out the wheels for the bronze recon wheels I had in the basement.  It kinda bothered me to not have a matching spare wheel and this was cheaper than buying another Gladiator wheel.  I will have the Gladiator wheels up for sale soon.

Sent from my mobile device

Been a while.  I installed an aftermarket tailgate hinge a couple of weekends ago. Today, I swapped out the hard top for the soft top.  I didn’t want to miss another top down opportunity like this week. Also, while I had the top off I fixed the tailgate prop rod the came out of the tub the day I put the new hinge on.  And I installed an Alien sunshade. 

c5cad92a86c02e5e06755b47bc637d38.jpg

21ade3155803940090522a1d02e37f73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Finally got around to installing the Solid  diff covers I bought from Damtall.

they look so nice and shiny.  8)
I actually just ordered a pair this past weekend. Figured i should have some better diff covers on hand in case something happens at Rausch.
How do you like them?
Any issues with any parts rubbing or hitting the front diff cover?

JustOnlyME said:
they look so nice and shiny.  8)
I actually just ordered a pair this past weekend. Figured i should have some better diff covers on hand in case something happens at Rausch.
How do you like them?
Any issues with any parts rubbing or hitting the front diff cover?

Thanks.  I think the rear cover may rub against the track bar at extreme flex.  But I’m not too worried about it.  If it does,  I’ll just grind the fins down to clear it.  Honestly don’t think I’ll be in too many crazy situations where that might be an issue.
The front cover looks like it will have enough clearance.  Of course I’ll probably be totally wrong and everything will rub the covers.  I’ll find out this weekend. And report back.

So yeah. I was totally wrong about the covers. Both track bars rubbed the diff covers today at The Cove.  The “fins” on the Solid diff covers will definitely need to be ground down for extra clearance.  They definitely took a beating and are well banged up.

cb884067b80b7933de49b84a7bea63da.jpg

57c181281895ae8436d9e394f336db8d.jpg

DAMTALL said:
Alex, will grinding down the fins create any problems with the strength of the diff covers?

No. It should not have any effect on them.  I won’t be grinding them completely off either. 

When I had these on my jeep it rubbed them pretty bad.  I changed covers for that reason but never had any issues with them or strength.  I hope the Cove was a good time!

I have solid covers for my D60s, D44, and Corp 14. They are great products. I was worried about clearance on my D30 too. So when I when I did the larger steering links, I went with a Kentrol Stainless Steel cover. It's still super strong but I only lost about an 1/8" over a stock cover.

Back