ogre's 2011 Swamp Rat JK

Installed a B&M stacked plate transmission cooler today. drove it around the neighborhood for a quick leak check and topped off the fluid. Still have to wait till the end of this month to get this thing on the road legally.

Installed some EAG rock rails.  They were a gift so I can't say no.  Also installed a leveling kit with some JKU Rubicon springs and Rubicon Express monotube shocks. Just need to get some quick discos for the front sway bar. 

8843f38c5cf2d889e2518c91da043ef3.jpg

Sent from my mobile device

Man, that really looks good. I can see the capability difference vs our JKU. We also drive a CJ5 but man, this looks great.

Good job!

Did the armor swap. Took the engine skid off of the JKU and put it on this one. Had to grind on the transfer case skid a little, but otherwise a direct swap.

I still want to swap the ARB air compressor over to this one also, but that will have to wait for another day.

Good looking rig. Curious to see where this build goes. Good luck with it!

Keep the shiny side up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great looking build sir.  enjoying  the evolution process.

Cheers

Installed a Quadratec JK aluminum evap skid. Seems pretty solid. And they shipped quick. There were not many others in stock ready to ship, most had a mid November to mid December ship time.

Also installed some Rock Krawler front lca's that I had sitting on the floor.  Were meant for the JKU but never got to installing them. 

dced7119a8bc61314ca19e2aae42626d.jpg

Moved the ARB air compressor and mount from the JKU to this one today. Wiring was the worst part; only cause I wanted it routed different than before. Otherwise fairly simple. 

Finally got this thing on the road on Monday. Drove it to work the last couple of days. It is a very noticeable difference in performance versus my 2018 JKU. This 2 door with the 3.8L is lack luster. I almost feel like its not making power well. But I think its more cause of the fact that I drive the JKU often. The JKU with 35's, 3.6L, 4.56's and better transmission speeds down the road. Where this one with the 3.8L 33's, 3.73 gears and auto trans just feels very sluggish.

There is no comparison between the 07-11 and 12-18. I bought an 11 and it as luck would have it became a lemon, so they made me a killer deal on a 12 and it was a huge blessing. Night and day. The older ones are begging for a Hemi.

highlandercj-7 said:
There is no comparison between the 07-11 and 12-18. I bought an 11 and it as luck would have it became a lemon, so they made me a killer deal on a 12 and it was a huge blessing. Night and day. The older ones are begging for a Hemi.

Hemi swap is the first thing that came to mind after driving it yesterday. No money for that though. I'll have to eek out any performance I can out of this engine for now. It is not my daily driver either so I can take my time with it.

ogre45 said:
highlandercj-7 said:
Hemi swap is the first thing that came to mind after driving it yesterday. No money for that though. I'll have to eek out any performance I can out of this engine for now. It is not my daily driver either so I can take my time with it.

Two thoughts:  I bought, and love, my Hike-It Throttle Controller.  It has overdrive and even a 4x4/Economy Mode.  If you get it, use the code JKGEAR at checkout.  It should get you 10% off the price.

Super-chargers are out of the question (good God they're expensive), but could any of this help?

https://www.autoanything.com/resources/the-ultimate-jeep-wrangler-horsepower-upgrades/

power  updates need not be expensive. But what is expensive is up to the  user.

Motor swaps can be  inexpensive  LS 5.3 motors are a dime a dozen and can be readily adapted to the Jeep platform. Add to that the  4L60 type transmissions  great power increases can be realized.  Drop in Hemi motors are  bit more expensive.  Either of these expense depends on how good you are with a wrench and working thru integration issues.

I simple power adder is forced induction.  Cost wise this is the cheapest way to go providing your motor is still sound.

Cost to add usable power  cost money.  The reality is you can't have a hotrod without  some investment.  that investment  will run  somewhere between $4/5K all the way up to $25K.  Budget builds are just that  built a on a budget. decide what the budget is and  have fun.

For my  two cents teh Supercharger or Turbo charger is the easiest way to make a significant  increase in the power plant and the least expensive.  The old adage  of  How fast you can go is directly ties to how much money you have. Power is expensive... more power is twice as expensive.

Thanks guys, the budget says I ain't doing crap to this motor and it will be driven as is for a while. LOL! It was mostly an observation of the 2 power plant differences. LS or Hemi swap are unfortunately just a dream right now.  Let's just get it out on the trail and enjoy the outdoors for now. 

Tried to adjust my headlights last week and found my RH headlight bracket broken. Had to order a new bracket, which came in yesterday.  Replaced the bracket and realized that the front end has had some damage.  Probably a fender bender that was never reported.  The right side of the grill sub frame is broken which is why the headlight bracket was broken and basically glued back on. 
New bracket went on fine since all the securing hardware was still in place and undamaged.  Hopefully have the lights adjusted ok, but keeping my T15 torx driver in the Jeep just in case. 

Also, swapped the sway bar quick disconnects from the JKU to this one.  And welded on some front lca skids.

Installed a new hood on the JK today.  Picked it up today.  A little more aggressive than I normally like, but I think it came out great.  Left it black for now.  May or may not color match paint it later.  I still need to pick up some windshield washer nozzles for it. The original hood only had 1 nozzle and this one is made to have the newer dual nozzle spray. 

774a5583aaa8e986d95d6c1939c7564a.jpg

Got the windshield washer nozzles in last night, but they just spray the bottom of the windshield. I don't think they are adjustable, so I may have to look at an adjustable set.  Anyone have experience with washer nozzles?

Also relocated the third brake light onto the spare tire, so its visible again. 

You may try CJ nozzles, they are adjustable and each has a dual spray. So if you put two of them on you will have 4 blasts. They only require approx. a 1/2" round hole though.

Back