ogre's 2011 Swamp Rat JK

So I got another JK. A 2011 JK sport to be exact. After selling the Jeepster and going to Camp Heep I thought it would be nice to have something smaller for the trails. The Golden Eagle does great don't get me wrong. I just wanted something a little more maneuverable on the trail. It is usually only me on trail rides now so I don't need all the room of the JKU. I still have the Golden Eagle it is not going anywhere right now.
After about 3 weeks of constant searching I found this one. Wranglers have kept their value well and most everything I found was out of my price range, which was no more than 14K$. Honestly did not think it would be that difficult, but almost all of them were super high mileage or had several accidents. This one popped up on an Autotrader ad and I was lucky to be the first to contact him about it. Also was lucky that he still held honorable values, cause he was contacted several times during my one day wait to go check it out. Many people offered to buy it sight unseen immediately.

About the Jeep
2011 Jeep JK in natural green pearl coat 3.8L automatic 3.73 gears
Base model, no power windows or locks
46000 miles on it
Completely stock vehicle.
Prior to the PO it was a rental in Hawaii. No accidents. Military move got it over to the mainland.

It sat curbside for a long time. Top was dried up and brittle, windows were the same. Definitely leaked water in, most of the drain plugs were removed so the tub didn't hold water, the cubby section where the jack is stowed is a different story. drain plug was left in and holding water. Jack is wasted along with all the tire change tools. the tub itself is good with no rust in it, surprisingly. PO had it inspected this month so that's good to go. It's a JK so all the plastic is faded and needs restored or replaced. Most of it has already been replaced. I'll add pics via Tapatalk shortly.

Family decided on the Swamp Rat name cause of the green color.  :duh

6f42a0b390de273d3152ac391a2ada64.jpg

The day I got it home. Put the top down on the way home cause of the mildew/wet smell.

bf141e0b99117fcb74bd896c6f0f6792.jpg

Actually had to cut the back window zipper to get it off. The top was a mess.

36cb8954c8147f6f92f5de7b425082d6.jpg

What started out as just a very detailed cleaning turned into a bed liner project. 

Sent from my mobile device

a58406033a299a1d46ddfcaebf3770e9.jpg

The sound deadening material that is not put on there evenly

eba1bbed5ab8f4690fcc30edb64d7975.jpg

Material removed

1b2f18e98c37d34d6533d69ccb7736a9.jpg

I used Raptor liner sprayed on.

e101431b5ed655a970b2690cf2ad0db1.jpg

The Raptor liner went on very well. 

4397a89add4b4bd9384eac85d957ca5e.jpg

Interior and new replacement top installed.  The top is from Rugged Ridge. It's not as thick a material as OEM, but should work fine for its purposes. 

1d70678d1c5be2bbaf1893849f1a8384.jpg

New plastic flat fenders from Amazon. They're not Poison Spyder, but they'll get the job done. 

d441c0bff28ebe80192775d6d07525f9.jpg

Had this radio I bought for a previous vehicle. Just had to get the right connector for the Jeep.

d69530acabdddc75d276edb86b46eb6f.jpg

This is how the Jeep sits now. Got this bumper in a trade and Raptor lined it. Wheels are from a Gladiator Rubicon.  I still need to find a matching spare. 

The DMV. Although appointments are a great idea for DMV, most of them are 90 days out. I really can't drive this thing yet cause I need to get it registered in my name still. I've checked a couple different offices in the area and they are all about the same time frames. Looking like end of October for me right now. And that's cause I made the appointment to get my license renewal in August. Keeping the mileage low for now. HAHA!

highlandercj-7 said:
There is a guy on market palace wanting to trade a set of 488 gears axles for 373s. That would be good for you on this build  8) and free.

I'll take a look. I'm not on FB but my better half is.

Having been down the JK 3.8 and 42RLE path before:

1. Do everything you can up front to keep the sprung and unsprung weight down
2. Add a stacked plate transmission cooler immediately. The 42RLE automatic runs very hot on a JK. The cooler will help keep the "hot oil" light from coming on when running in 4WH for extended periods

Definitely noticed the heat on the floor when I drove it home after purchase. Pulled the grill off to swap out some headlights I had sitting around and noticed there wasn't a trans cooler there. I will have to get one for sure.

ogre45 said:
Definitely noticed the heat on the floor when I drove it home after purchase. Pulled the grill off to swap out some headlights I had sitting around and noticed there wasn't a trans cooler there. I will have to get one for sure.

Definitely add a tranny cooler as soon as possible, I fried my first 42rle for lack of one!

zuke said:
ogre45 said:

Definitely add a tranny cooler as soon as possible, I fried my first 42rle for lack of one!

This is one of the dumber things Chrysler did. There was no cooler, stock or optional, for the 42RLE JK 2007 - 2011 models. This, in spite of the fact that numerous JKs burnt to the ground when the transmission got so hot they started puking fluid onto the exhaust. Jeep's fix for the problem was to add a light that told you the transmission was cooked!  :?

Back