Rausch Dec 11/12

Knights inn... Book on line $73.00/night....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

update:
Weather, well there is some.  Snow blowing thru this past weekend in PA  and temps will eb rising this week. so Yes there will be weather.  Please  check the forecast as we get5 closer and dress accordingly. If  it is going to be snow should go without saying  bring a good set of boots and warm socks. Wool is great as it will keep you tootsies warm even when wet.

Lunch:
Rattletrap55 is  bringing Pulled Pork BBQ for lunch Saturday.  feel free to  bring some  drinks  or additions.  NEED a head count  by weeks end please.

Lodging:

Hampton Inn has been a PITA to book, Comfort Inn and Knights Inn are usually open. The latter  when booked on line is $73.00/night.

So if the strap hangers  can jump in and let us know there intensions by weeks end  that would be great.

Yay @bbq. Thank you Rattletrap55! I'll pack a cooler with drinks and some chips or something, might as well use the pickup bed :p

I'll also have a cooler with drinks. I can throw a side in as well for lunch, probably some coleslaw or potato salad unless we want something else.

Major Ho said:
Also have a friend with a modded gladiator, can I do +1 or would you prefer they sign up for our forum and chime in for themselves ?

Just be aware that a Gladiator on some of those trails Rob is planning to tackle will be a big challenge. The extremely long wheelbase will make turning in the tight woods interesting. Plus, he will likely drag the belly more than everyone else, due to the break-over angle. Not necessarily something to scare him away, but something he should be ready for. The good news is many places have ways to go around, but not all.

Runner said:
Major Ho said:
Also have a friend with a modded gladiator, can I do +1 or would you prefer they sign up for our forum and chime in for themselves ?

Just be aware that a Gladiator on some of those trails Rob is planning to tackle will be a big challenge. The extremely long wheelbase will make turning in the tight woods interesting. Plus, he will likely drag the belly more than everyone else, due to the break-over angle. Not necessarily something to scare him away, but something he should be ready for. The good news is many places have ways to go around, but not all.
Thanks for heads up @Runner
She (@Fearless as her handle) seems up for the challenge. IIRC her rig is all armored up underneath with the long wheelbase.

Major Ho said:
Thanks for heads up @Runner
She (@Fearless as her handle) seems up for the challenge. IIRC her rig is all armored up underneath with the long wheelbase.

:lol  Sounds like she has the right attitude. FWIW, if she's running 37" tires, that will certainly help. Also, we'll definitely want to see pictures!  (y)

I appreciate the warning. As Ho mentioned, my truck is ready to go. I haven’t chopped the bed yet so it will drag a few times, but my hitch skid is well acquainted with its job.

I’ve done a lot of the blues at Rausch and AOAA, and a few blacks are both places. I drive carefully, but I’m confident I won’t slow you down :)

Will post a few pictures later!

Summary:
37s, 4” lift, skid plates everywhere, trussed and upgraded axle shafts, and the paint has already been scratched.

Fearless said:
I appreciate the warning. As Ho mentioned, my truck is ready to go. I haven’t chopped the bed yet so it will drag a few times, but my hitch skid is well acquainted with its job.

I’ve done a lot of the blues at Rausch and AOAA, and a few blacks are both places. I drive carefully, but I’m confident I won’t slow you down :)

Summary:
37s, 4” lift, skid plates everywhere, trussed and upgraded axle shafts, and the paint has already been scratched.

Slow is part of the game, so that wouldn't worry me. I'm certainly interested to get a report on your experiences. I've seen a couple JTs on Greens and Blues at Rausch, but not on Blacks and Reds. Since the paint is already scratched and you're armored up, you know what to expect. Credit where credit is due, because I'd be terrified to take a relatively new JT into the wild!  (y)

Runner said:
Fearless said:

Summary:

Slow is part of the game, so that wouldn't worry me. I'm certainly interested to get a report on your experiences. I've seen a couple JTs on Greens and Blues at Rausch, but not on Blacks and Reds. Since the paint is already scratched and you're armored up, you know what to expect. Credit where credit is due, because I'd be terrified to take a relatively new JT into the wild!  (y)
It really does better than most assume. Tight turns and trees aren’t a problem. I hear lots of internet complaints about the break over angle, but I feels like it helps as much as it hurts. It’s all about picking the right line for the truck, which usually isn’t the same as the 2 doors.

My current complaints are: The frame side LCA and rear lower shock mount locations, and the departure angle of the bed. All three are on my list for fixing next year. Nothing a little cutting and welding can’t fix :)

A couple photos from PA earlier this month:

9e83167b0b0e47edeb5f0ade4dd47243.jpg

15dd8c2fd9a5ee75d5e9128fff4e30b0.jpg

7d5add419de09e0dda0a6741498b930d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major and Fearless,
Taken stock Glads up  Crawl daddy it was loud and required a good line.  Taken  Jose's glad around the park on blues and mild blacks ( he is also at stock height) we did find that it doesn't float, who knew :?

So what are we going to run?  well that depends on the weather. if it snows  we'll be on the NE property. if it is just a cold day then  the variety is open.  Thinking the hill climbs  the black/red is a hoot and good for pictures... trail 6 is always a ball and will be a challenge for most rigs.  Come to love trail 5 good technical lines and at the end a variety of way to get to the top.  Cemetery is always a crowd pleaser and so is Krawling for Cops. a crowd fav is trail 20... the drop in on the "easy" side is a hoot. with a work around for the hootless.

We found a beach to have lunch at if timing works  if not we will definitely make a run to the beach. there is a killer hill climb to go up or down actually had to winch one down ( really over the tippy top)

We have some excellent spotters on this trip, damage is not a badge of honor. I welcome the Conestoga wagons along and with careful driving and spotting  I think we can get you thru most anything . 

Bring recovery gear please.  if you have a winch, unspool it and respool to ensure 1) it works and 2) the line is in good shape. If it is new,  unspool and wind under tension  if not the synthetic lines will be a mess.  the steel line will stretch some and the time to do that is when you don't need it.  Make sure you controller is in the rig not the garage.

On the trail.  Some of us are old  we from time to time need a bit of help, if you not negotiating the challenge at hand be ready to help.  If spotting is something you want to learn or get better with,  ask questions and jump in to help  the lead.  I will not ask you  it is up to you.

Recovery, If we have to recovery a rig I ask we work together. Winching can be fun but it also can cause injury.  Listen to the one running the recovery and take directing from them.

Comms, I run both VHF and UHF.  The predominate  radio is GMRS in this club.  if you don't have one that is ok... if you do , just make sure the base unit works  or the hand helds have either an extra battery or a way to charge them.

This is a rain/snow  or shine event. please pack dress accordingly. 

Do not plan on Rausch having a working air station  freezing temps  cause  issue with air compressor systems.

Lastly a debrief will likely be at the diner r if  we can get directions to the "other " Pub we can go there.  The Pine Grove pub is not open on Saturday as we found out  last trip. we can come up with some options.

PS,

On my trail rides slow is good slower is better. 

This weekend  between shopping and parties take a look over  your rig, "nut and bolt check" things to ensure they work  200 miles from home.

Questions, please ask. nothing is a stupid question only the ones not asked.

Pass the eggnog....

Cheers

Rob

540.761.1831 cell.
151.380  primary
462.6375. GMRS 4 Secondary
462.5500 GMRS 5 Secondary travel

I'm pretty excited to get out there and do some challenging runs, and I'm VERY excited to be doing it with a solid group who knows what they're doing. I did go ahead and order and engine/trans skid plate so fingers crossed that gets here in time!

If anyone wanted to know the other O'Neals 4th Street Station Pub is open on Saturday from 11:30AM-9PM. The original O'Neals we used to go to closes at 4PM now sadly.

Address:
345 E Colliery Ave, Tower City, PA 17980

Figured I'd give you all the address in advance so you don't need to search by the end of the day. Should be about 10-11min away from Rausch Creek Park.

Think we can make this one!  Been off the trails way too long! 

Gotta wrap up a few loose ends, but I think we can get it ready.
- Trim pinch seams.  Trim Rock Sliders.
- Install Skids. 
- Mount winch and Spare tire. 

R3 said:
Questions, please ask. nothing is a stupid question only the ones not asked.

Question: Is CB still used? I haven't been on the trails in about 10 years and last time out with Fearless, she loaned me a radio.
I still have a CB setup, it's just not fully installed, should be reinstalling this weekend pending input.

The interwebs got me more confused with CB replaced w/ GMRS
https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/cb-replaced-by-frs-gmrs-two-way-radios/
Then this
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/gmrs-vs-ham-vs-cb.2374149/#post-34487747

FYI, I'll be with the full family compliment of wife and 2 boys (7 and 5 yo). They seemed to fare well enough on the last outing with Fearless a few months ago.

Not a stranger to Rausch blues/blacks and some reds, it's just been a decade.
Oh also, im in a JKU, not a Gladiator/JT, in case that matters for the first page record keeping.

-Ho

Yo Ho!

Sorry I couldn't resist.  I have a CB still in the Red Jeep, I only hook it back up for road trips out west.  For the trails I run either VHF or UHF comms.  I have a couple handhelds I bring with me for spotting and the occasional loaner.  I am sure we can hook you up.  Radio is a nice to have at Rausch not a required item.

More than likely we will run  UHF  or more popularly known as GMRS.  Everyone and their dawg is now running  on the lower GMRS channels but the flip side is  the comms are crystal clear.

So the ole interwebs  have you spinning? go figure. Family Radio Service (FRS)  was combined with General Mobile Radio Service GMRS a while back. On the lower channels this adds to the traffic.  FRS is a  2 watt system, GMRS is 5W to 50W. The more watts you have the longer the reach.  Yes  GMRS requires a license is it cheap and last for 10 years.  The VHF systems  also require a ticket for a ham radio operator. 

If you are thinking  Jeep Jam, GMRS is a unit you should look into.  Friendly reminder, you get what you pay for with radios.  I have been running Rugged radios for  5 years now and I have no complaints and customer service is first rate. The club  opted to go Midland route and they also have a great reputation and good customer service.  Many run  Beufange radios..... customer service is  well not well and the radios need to have teh channels set up in them.  Good news they are cheap.

Rugged has a Jeep kit choose either a dual band or single band base , comes with install kit and antenna plus a handheld. Runs around $500 or so last I looked.

I run the dual band  analogue/digital  rig. Can monitor both UHF and VHF  but comms on one at a time only.  Midland  you can find on Amazon and shipping is fairly fast.  if you go the midland route get the 6db gain antenna.

Cheers
Rob

See you in the parking lot Saturday morning.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back