Author Topic: Trail Comms - Recco's?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline R3

• Member 2020
Re: Trail Comms - Recco's?
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2020, 10:41:43 AM »
What radio do you use for GMRS?
What features do you like about it?
What do you not like about it?
What do you wish it had?

If a dual band radio covers vhf and uhf, can't you use it for gmrs (which is a uhf) also?

My primary coms  are  VHF with alternate  GMRS(UHF)  Base for VHF is Rugged Radios RM60 with  R5 Handheld from RR.  handhelds are dual band.
The handheld is a great radio.
- Small package with the ability to grab and go for spotting or recovery operations.
- Dual band with  the addition of the hand mic/speaker  I can  clip the radio to my belt and mic to my  shirt leaving both hand free.
- Range is good 3-5 miles
- clear comms with low interference  squelch is set at 2 on a scale of 1-10
- Battery life is  good for  most of a day if used as primary comms  a spare battery or larger  capacity  is needed.
- cost is comparable to a current CB with antenna

Bought a Midland GMRS base with a lo profile 3dB antenna.
- Issue, with the RM60 there is no place to mount it  without going on the dash or overhead.
- Like the fact it is a 50W radio from a reliable manufacture.

Wish it had..... Base dual band

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2972

Why?  One unit  covering both  UHF and VHF frequencies.  Seriously looking at upgrading to  this. Work on both Digital and analogue as well as dual band. 

UHF/VHF radio (dual band)  Yes it can be used for  GMRS if frequencies are programmed in.  My  handhelds are  programmed for both  VHF and UHF operation and  when on UHF  i run GMRS frequencies.
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline JustOnlyME

• Forum User
  • Forum User
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
The dual band base unit allows transmit, not just listen, on GMRS?
 It looks like there are wattage restrictions on some GMRS freq?
I dont see a wattage for the RR unit you linked to.
When you program the GMRS frequencies do you program the wattage output while using those frequencies too?

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »
The Rugged Radio  set come pre programmed.
Cheers

17 JKURR

Online Nacho

• Member 2020 VA4WD
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2020, 08:57:19 AM »
Jumping with my .02 cents a little late....but I just added GMRS and concur that it is night and day better than CB.  I bought the midland GMRS and have two small handhelds. 

Pros:
  • Clarity-  it is so much clearer and easy to understand
  • Handhelds- as Rob mentioned, I have the handhelds which are very inexpensive and great for someone in the group without a radio and for spotting
  • Price- seems to me there are actually more inexpensive GMRS options than CB....the license is $70, but good for a decade!
  • Size-  the radio is much smaller and has more mounting options

I cant speak for VHS as I have no experience yet, but I am 100% on GMRS over CB.

:tu

Offline spnkzss

• Forum User
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
Learnin' 'bout GMRS.  Came across this decent read.  Figured I'd post for others.

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/cb-replaced-by-frs-gmrs-two-way-radios/
Rob
'94 YJ  |  4.5" RC Lift  |  33"  | SYE

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »
While back  tried to bring this up to leadership and see if there was interest in switching to a more modern  comms  system.  At that time there was  huge pushback.  looks like  today there is interest. Perhaps this could be brought up at a club meeting and discussed and  develop a way forward.  I have discussed  group buys with  Rugged Radios in the past.  a discount is available to clubs.  I am sure that other companies would  be interested in working  a group buy as well. 

GMRS is a easy  course to go thru and licensing is cheap at $70.00. ( we spend more for farkles on our Jeeps each month).  Set up and operation is fairly straight forward as well.  some basic rules need to be followed with installation to get  optimal performance out of the  UHF platform.

The Handheld units are  excellent for spotting and recovery  operations.   in spotting   new members  can be coached thru a particular technique and  with a calming voice can be guided thru most difficult challenges. During recovery operation  especially more difficult event  clear comms is a key to a successful recovery.

Digital comms are now  becoming  more mainstream.  Rugged Radios has a good  description on  what  the pro's and cons are for digital comms.  their  dual band sets  can operate on either  digital or analogue  so talking to legacy systems in not an issue.

At the end of  the day there is always a group that pushes the envelope and is looking for a better way, as well as the group that is very happy  with what they are comfortable with.

Cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline R3

• Member 2020
Cheers

17 JKURR

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.