Linked Events

• Monthly Trail ride : January 18, 2020 - January 19, 2020

Author Topic: January Winter trail ride at AoAA January 18th - 19th.  (Read 2385 times)

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
Re: January Winter trail ride at AoAA January 18th - 19th.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 07:17:47 AM »
Lodging, good question.
Couple of options from their website:
http://www.aoaatrails.com/directory/lodging.aspx

Looks like they are about 20+ minutes from the park.  An alternative is  Pine Grove  and use the "Off Road consulting" Discount. 

Cheers
Rob
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Offline JP-XPLR

• Forum User
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2019, 09:33:39 AM »
Rob - We found an AirBnb a little closer to Harrisburg to bring the wife back a little closer to civilization.   :D

Joe
US Army Veteran - Never Forget

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 08:18:17 AM »
Happy New Year.
Just checking in.  weather this year has been all over the map.  Last trip north was warm and dry, while the week after there was snow on the ground. If weather is going to be a factor  for you please let us know.  With the level of experience and  depending on weather conditions we can  with the groups agreement  explore  more than  just G/B trails.

Cheers

Cheers

17 JKURR

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2019
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »
I posted this on the old forum before I could log in here, but I've got a friend from work who has been asking about riding along on a trail for a while now. Apart from AOAA pax fees/wavers, all he needs from the club is the waiver, correct? It's cool if he rides along?

Also, it looks like BLACKHAWKJEEP posted in the thread to sign up on the old forum after the migration happened.
2000 TJ Sport
~4" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
 :jw
Since this is not an official Club ride, a NOVA Jeep waiver is not required. 

AOAA  you can download their forms  off the website to speed the  registration process or  just file them out  when we get there.

With the weather being as wack-a-doodle as it is :? ( snow today.. 70 degrees Saturday)  I am going to cap the ride  as of today. So yes you friend can join the fun  love to have them. Please pass the  requirements to the ride on to them.  Also they can sign up on the forum for  I believe no charge.

:cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2019
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
Since this is not an official Club ride, a NOVA Jeep waiver is not required. 

AOAA  you can download their forms  off the website to speed the  registration process or  just file them out  when we get there.

With the weather being as wack-a-doodle as it is :? ( snow today.. 70 degrees Saturday)  I am going to cap the ride  as of today. So yes you friend can join the fun  love to have them. Please pass the  requirements to the ride on to them.  Also they can sign up on the forum for  I believe no charge.

Just for clarification, my friend is just riding along with me, not driving his own vehicle.  Despite Quattro, I'm not sure his Audi A4 would be up to AOAA :lol  Just FYI so we can free that slot up for another forum member
2000 TJ Sport
~4" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2020, 07:38:22 AM »
Going to be staying in Pine Grove for this event.

Lets plan to meet at the park when it opens to do the paperwork and  pay the fees.  Hours are 0900-1600 and there is a fine  for getting off the trails late.
 To speed up the registration process  please fill out the required paperwork ahead of time  ( available on AOAA website)
Air down and a brief drivers meeting and we can get underway.

Cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline JP-XPLR

• Forum User
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 07:20:13 AM »
Looking forward to my first trail ride of the year and to AOAA as well. The 10-day forecast shows low 30s and possible showers so should make for some fun.  See you all there!

Joe

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
SAT  JAN 18
Snow Showers   
 High 35° low 24° :cold

Occasional snow showers. High around 35F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%. 1 to 3 of snow expected. :? :?

With the possibility of Snow trails  can get a little more challenging.   Roads in that area can also be a bit of a challenge  to include the  interstate. Few year back  the snow flurries turned into 10+ inches of wet snow on semi warm ground.... Please  drive safe.

Please dress for the conditions expected  I have found the Wool even wet will keep you warm.  Gloves too!

Trail maps are available on  the Android app "MAPRIKA"  please download to yoru tablet or phone  to use as a guide on the trails. I have not  run  these trails with this app so I do not know how accurate  it is.

I will be camping at the Hampton Inn in Pine Grove  which is about 30 miles from AOAA.  There is a little Dinner  at exit 100 I usually go for breakfast  (0700) if anyoen  would like to meet for coffee and convoy to  the park.  We usually have an after action  meeting at  O'Neils pub  in down town Pine Grove. Food is excellent and staff is super friendly.

Looking forward to seeing you all  in PA next week.

Cheers

17 JKURR

Online VAJK456

• Member 2018
    • Sundlof Guitars
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 03:57:06 AM »
Rob put me as tentative for this. I’m going to file an application with the wife today ;)

Hope to see you all on the trail next weekend. Will update you as soon as I have a confirmed yes or no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 09:58:40 AM »
Weather update:
Friday night  3-5 inch of snow ( %50 chance) low 25
Saturday  high 34 with 1-3 inches of snow  (%40 chance)
Saturday Night  low 25 with an additional 1 inch possible.

I see this as an interesting challenge on the trails and fun running thru the woods in the falling snow.  Snow requires a slightly different driving approach more finesse than brute force.

Getting to the trails  could be a challenge as well.  PA does a good job if clearing the main roads side roads  might be a bit more challenging.

I plan to be at the Dinner  in Pine grove at 0700 and depart for  the park  by 0800.  ( Dinner is at exit 100 on Interstate 81 next to the Pilot.

Cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2019
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »
Weather update:
Friday night  3-5 inch of snow ( %50 chance) low 25
Saturday  high 34 with 1-3 inches of snow  (%40 chance)
Saturday Night  low 25 with an additional 1 inch possible.

I see this as an interesting challenge on the trails and fun running thru the woods in the falling snow.  Snow requires a slightly different driving approach more finesse than brute force.

Getting to the trails  could be a challenge as well.  PA does a good job if clearing the main roads side roads  might be a bit more challenging.

I plan to be at the Dinner  in Pine grove at 0700 and depart for  the park  by 0800.  ( Dinner is at exit 100 on Interstate 81 next to the Pilot.

Cheers

Looks like I might be able to get an updated snow pic for my Forum Avatar  :cold  I think I'm at the same Hampton in Pine Grove.  Planning on a half day at work on Friday and heading up right after that.
2000 TJ Sport
~4" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Offline CAPTN KIRK

• Forum User
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:42 PM »
Hi All
I am at the Hampton as well I am heading up Friday  drive safe  :tu
Kirk
2017 Big Bear 4/10's  Detroit Truetracs Rancho 2" 33"Pizza cutters

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Updated forecast:
Looks like the snow event is sliding right. Friday  is just going to be cold. Saturday the forecast is for 6-10 inch by the time it is done. 90% chance now. Sunday , snow showers and a possible 1-3  additional snowfall.

Sounds like an outstanding  trail ride forming up.

Will be arriving later on Friday night. Save me a parking spot. LOL

Rob
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:13:20 AM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline JP-XPLR

• Forum User
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »
Updated forecast:
Looks like the snow event is sliding right. Friday  is just going to be cold. Saturday the forecast is for 6-10 inch by the time it is done. 90% chance now. Sunday , snow showers and a possible 1-3  additional snowfall.

Sounds like an outstanding  trail ride forming up.

Will be arriving later on Friday night. Save me a parking spot. LOL

Rob

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn new techniques off-road.  Still psyched regardless of weather.   :cold

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Kronthal (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep) | Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.