Galactica - 2018 JL

Glad you were able to trace it back and figure it out/fix it. I was frustrated as hell when I had my initial start up issues with the 4.0 wiring on my CJ. I hate electronics, but glad I got help here to diagnose it and get it resolved. The less electronics, the better for me. You guys are amazing.

Awesome write up and great job tracking down he problem.

I would like to point out, you two have likely just now become the club “wiring experts.” 😁
Good wiring, and connector diagrams are worth their weight in Gold that's for sure. I actually signed up for a month of the "DIY" package from Identifix which gives you access to all the up to date factory service information.

I would not claim to be an expert in anything - just curious enough to get myself into trouble.

Glad you were able to trace it back and figure it out/fix it. I was frustrated as hell when I had my initial start up issues with the 4.0 wiring on my CJ. I hate electronics, but glad I got help here to diagnose it and get it resolved. The less electronics, the better for me. You guys are amazing.
One of the crazy side effects of the CAN-BUS system is that it actually reduces the total number of wires that would otherwise be needed to account for all the electronic functions in the vehicle. For example, the XJ has a massive wiring harness that connects the lock, unlock, and window controls in the driver side door, to all the other 4 doors of the vehicle. In a more modern system you would in theory just need two wires (excluding power to run all the windows, locks, etc) for to coordinate all the communication between all the doors.

All that being said it is just another system to learn :)

So likme the various OBDII programming systems can you program out the electic PS mondule in the same fashion as a Tazon programmer would? this would turn off the code and basicly kill the circut to the data bus. In this way you can taylor the program to include or exclude components or modules that are not required.

Just a thought from the cheap seats....

Heading to PA this weekend if you want to test you beast out a bit...we have at least one trailer coming if problems arrise.

So likme the various OBDII programming systems can you program out the electic PS mondule in the same fashion as a Tazon programmer would? this would turn off the code and basicly kill the circut to the data bus. In this way you can taylor the program to include or exclude components or modules that are not required.

Just a thought from the cheap seats....

Heading to PA this weekend if you want to test you beast out a bit...we have at least one trailer coming if problems arrise.
Aww this is a really fun question to dive into! We actually have already used a Tazer Mini to tell the PCM not to expect communications from the power steering module. The quirk with this particular issue is that it was not a faulting module that was causing the issue, rather errant voltage on the bus.

Since the canbus physical layer is shared and accessed concurrently between all nodes on the bus, rather than a dedicated circuit to each module, impacts to the shared broadcast domain impacts all things on the network. A good analogy would be radios - each radio acts a bit like a module on the canbus, when things are operating well - everyone can communicate clearly using a shared frequency. You, and the other radio users may have a pre-defined protocol on how to speak on the shared frequency, as to not interfere with one another, and everyone is happy. Now if someone were to show up with an excessively high powered transmitter, and just flood the frequency with energy, the receiving radios would likely not be able to overcome the jamming effect of the high powered transmitter.

In this scenario - the modules expect to communicate on the shared bus using about 2.6v of energy. However with a short to voltage, the 12v system was effectively "jamming" the other modules from communicating (at least that is my theory).

Here is actually a Youtube video of someone testing this theory

As for this weekend - we will be closing on a new house next Friday and are packing / getting the current house cleaned up, and I still need to get those darn sliders trimmed up, welded, painted, and mounted.... Not enough time in the day

Kevin that make perfect sense... Data bus architecture combined with power for the node.

This makes me want to revisit the sway bar disconnect circuit on the JK... A similar event is possible there too.

Great explanation

Rib

Kevin that make perfect sense... Data bus architecture combined with power for the node.

This makes me want to revisit the sway bar disconnect circuit on the JK... A similar event is possible there too.

Great explanation

Rib
Here is the connector for the JK as an FYI - im sure you have this already. And the JK bus layout, which is amazingly more simple :)
1668116592476.png

Attachments

• JK Automatic Swaybar Connector.pdf
    214.2 KB · Views: 41
I know what I’m doing next weekend… pulling the rest of my power steering wiring out. Thank you for blowing your Jeep up first, so I don’t have to <3

After what seems like forever - finally back in the new garage and working on getting the sliders put together. We purchased a set of un-welded Nextventure Motorsports sliders, and cut them down to size to fit our application.
PXL_20230220_004249967.jpg

After getting things mocked up and tacked into place we test fit them on the vehicle, and identified an issue with the rearmost mount, in that it was too wide to get the mig torch in there to weld them to the frame, so we have to make some modifications to the bracket, and bend them in just a bit so we can actually weld them in when the time comes. Fortunately a metal bandsaw and hydraulic press made quick work of the 1/4 metal.
PXL_20230220_024427203.jpg

PXL_20230220_033655876.jpg

Then it was time for welding, lots of welding...
PXL_20230220_212824739.jpg

PXL_20230222_042456504.jpg

PXL_20230223_024749533.jpg

Still more welding to do, but I ran out of gas... so hopefully this weekend I'll get both sides welded and painted. If we are lucky maybe installing them on Sunday? Or perhaps next weekend!

Rig is looking great!

Back