Author Topic: 2012 JKU Front Drive Shaft  (Read 108 times)

Offline DAMTALL

• Thread Jackin' 24/7
  • Member 2021
  • Jackin' Threads Since 2012
2012 JKU Front Drive Shaft
« on: July 08, 2021, 09:26:34 PM »
So I have been looking at front drive shafts for my 2012 JKU.  What are the two numbers associated with the shafts, 1310 and 1350?  Thanks!
Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • Please don't break, please don't break, please ...
2012 JKU Front Drive Shaft
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:27:55 PM »
That sounds like the u joint options for the ends of the shaft. 2 different sizes.  You need to pick the one that works with the yokes you have on the transfer case and axles. 
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
4.5" lift and 35s
Trail toy now

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
Re: 2012 JKU Front Drive Shaft
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 07:03:28 AM »
Stock the front is a 1310 that goes into an adapter and flange plate setup, rear of the driveshaft is an Rzeppa joint....

If you're looking to upgrade, you'll want to replace the front yoke on your transfer case to accommodate a regular double cardan CV Joint, generally when you order a driveshaft from Adam's or Tom Wood's, That comes up as an option.

John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline R3

• Member 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 08:31:31 AM »
Cheers

17 JKURR Daily/rock crawler/overland
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
Stock the front is a 1310 that goes into an adapter and flange plate setup, rear of the driveshaft is an Rzeppa joint....

If you're looking to upgrade, you'll want to replace the front yoke on your transfer case to accommodate a regular double cardan CV Joint, generally when you order a driveshaft from Adam's or Tom Wood's, That comes up as an option.
CJs are so much simpler.  Although I considered the CV style when I replaced mine.  But opted to not.  Maybe if this becomes some crazy rock bouncer.  But not for now. 
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
4.5" lift and 35s
Trail toy now

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 09:21:17 AM »
CJs are so much simpler.  Although I considered the CV style when I replaced mine.  But opted to not.  Maybe if this becomes some crazy rock bouncer.  But not for now.

As long as you keep the front on leaf springs, it's probably not worth the hassles to switch to a CV... I went down that road with my Waggy, and getting the pinion angle right with a CV Shaft and more than 4" of lift pretty much means doing a "cut and turn" on the axle if you want to keep caster and steering angles correct...
John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 09:23:39 AM »

As long as you keep the front on leaf springs, it's probably not worth the hassles to switch to a CV... I went down that road with my Waggy, and getting the pinion angle right with a CV Shaft and more than 4" of lift pretty much means doing a "cut and turn" on the axle if you want to keep caster and steering angles correct...
Good info.  I was worried about the rear after installing the auto.  The rear DS length shortened.  But since it is a Scrambler, I think I still had enough length.  If it were a 7 or a 5, I might have had to go CV
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
4.5" lift and 35s
Trail toy now

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 09:37:57 AM »
Good info.  I was worried about the rear after installing the auto.  The rear DS length shortened.  But since it is a Scrambler, I think I still had enough length.  If it were a 7 or a 5, I might have had to go CV

Oh, the rear is easy, If you decide to go to a CV in the back, you just use wedge shims until you get the right pinion angle... the only real concern in the back is keeping enough oil in it, because as you lift the pinion, you lower the fill hole and the amount of oil you can fit before it starts to spill out. That's pretty easily remedied with a diff cover that has a higher fill hole.

But, if you have enough length in the shaft right now that you don't get any bind at full droop, there really isn't much to be gained with a CV shaft. (It does lift your pinion up out of the rocks, but as you said, the Scrambler isn't at crazy rock bouncer status... yet :) )
John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.