Author Topic: Lost gauges, interior lights, and radio  (Read 128 times)

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
Lost gauges, interior lights, and radio
« on: June 15, 2021, 06:40:19 AM »
I pulled into work this morning and was gathering my things together for the work shuttle, when I noticed all my interior lights start slowly dimming then going out... then my radio died, it also seemed like it dimmed too, and when I looked at the gauges, only a few warning lights were working, no speedo, tach, etc. I turned it off and then back on, but everything was still dead.  My shuttle showed up so I didn’t get a chance to check fuses or anything.  I shut the car off and went to lock the car, and the lock button didn’t work on the door.  It did however work while I had the car running, so I just manually locked it up. Its making me wonder if the battery has had enough, or maybe the alternator isn’t charging anymore.  I didn’t notice any light pulsing to signify the alternator.  Its not a newer battery, not sure on a date.  I didn’t know if anything else stuck out to anyone, but the way the lights dimmed and slowly died and then the radio losing power makes me suspect the battery.

Figures as soon as I get the Jeep to stop overheating, something else presents itself  ;(
98 XJ

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
Re: Lost gauges, interior lights, and radio
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 07:53:32 AM »
Definitely sounds like the battery...
John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 09:13:03 PM »
Ended up being Fuse 16 under the hood, good to go now.  Could explain why my TCM was throwing random codes out too.
98 XJ

Offline Ohstate

• Forum User
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
When my old XJ’s electrical system went bonkers, it was the battery cables.  They had deteriorated and were causing all sorts of issues. 

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »
Thanks for giving an update on it XJBayne! Looking at a diagram, 16 has a whole lotta stuff running through it! and that makes sense with the remote lock button not working, and I do see where it could cause TCM Codes too.

I'll add it to my list of things to check for crazy electrical gremlins :D

John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 05:32:54 PM »
Thanks for giving an update on it XJBayne! Looking at a diagram, 16 has a whole lotta stuff running through it! and that makes sense with the remote lock button not working, and I do see where it could cause TCM Codes too.

I'll add it to my list of things to check for crazy electrical gremlins :D

Yeah! First it threw a code for the NSS.  I even had a shop try to diagnose it and they said its inside the TCM.  I bought a used TCM and then that code disappeared and it threw a code for the OSS.  I bought an OSS and was planning to install it, but then all the above happened.  Replaced the fuse and everything went away. I’ll just hold onto the TCM for later, as time goes on they will be harder and harder to find cheap.
98 XJ

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 05:47:53 PM »
I’ll just hold onto the TCM for later, as time goes on they will be harder and harder to find cheap.

A very wise choice!
John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.