Author Topic: 4" or 6" Metal Cloak Fenders  (Read 221 times)

Online spnkzss

• Member 2021
4" or 6" Metal Cloak Fenders
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
In before any "that's what she said" jokes.

After taking her out a bunch of times now, my priorities have moved from axles to Fenders/Sliders and undercarriage.  It's funny, when "we" say, "Go use it, then decide your build", I still laugh every time as the build turns into this living thing.

The first priority turned into protecting things, after I put a huge dent in the oil pan.  UCF engine plate being installed after I get the TJ front exhaust pipe in.  The next priority fed off the first "protection" and added space.  I need sliders before I rip the stock step off and my biggest hindrance is not gearing (which sucks at 3.07) or lack of locker, it's the tires getting stuffed into fender well and killing momentum.  I've had it tucked so far in there I've literally been stuck to the point it stalls trying to go forward or back off. lol. 

So, long story short, I'm going metal cloak front, slider, and rear.  I need help deciding on 4" or 6" flares.  I haven't seen many YJ pictures with the metal cloak system on it.  I had in my mind the 6", but I took a level (to put on tire face) and a measuring tape out to the snow covered Jeep to look.  The stock flares are just under 4".  I like the way it looks now, but wanted to see if I'm missing any pluses or minuses of each.  I can't see the 6" limiting articulation at all compared to the 4".  I like the thought of a bigger "step", but then again, the 4" should be fine too.

Any input would be great.  Any experiences I need to be aware of during install, etc, etc, etc.
Rob
'94 YJ  |  4.5" RC Lift  |  33"  | SYE

Offline R3

• Trail Team
  • Member 2021
Re: 4" or 6" Metal Cloak Fenders
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »
While not a early model Jeep, My JKURR has a set of wide  Poison Spider  tube fenders on it. the narrow ones throw too much stuff on the side of the Jeep to include  stones and other  heavy objects.  Plus it keeps the side windows clear to be able to see out of in the sloppy stuff.

Option for ya, is reset the bump stops to limit up travel on the axles at full articulation. Cheaper route  but not as sexy as new parts.

3.07 gears? Yikes...  there are a couple of folks on the forum that can help you re-gear for better all around performance.  throw  locker in the rear at least and you will be majorly trail ready.

Cheers
From the cheap seats
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:17:46 AM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline DamienD

• Forum User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 06:05:25 AM »
I would go 4" flare. I think the 6" look horrible and really doesn't keep the crap from flying in your rig. You might want to consider going hiline to keep the jeep low and give you room to move up to a bigger tire

Offline CFR

• Member 2021
  • Forum User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 06:38:26 PM »
I'm certain Metal Cloak also offers YJ Fenders with Expandable Flares. You can install 4" Flares then add 2" (or whatever extensions)  they latch and lock on and off.

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
My friend built a YJ with all metal cloak fenders and slider, he went with the smaller flares and I always thought it looked good.  I think it comes down to personal preference. Selecting Metal Cloak to begin with is a solid choice, so off to a good start there.
webmaster@novajeepers.com   

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 11:55:04 PM »
6" flares here. Not a bad look.

2004 LJ - Built to wheel, but hides in the garage :(

Offline gravitywell

• Member 2021
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »
6" flares here. Not a bad look.

That is a ridiculously good looking Wrangler. Damn.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Scott Posti (Nacho)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.