Author Topic: Trailer wiring left blinker /brake lights not working  (Read 106 times)

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
Trailer wiring left blinker /brake lights not working
« on: September 20, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
I have a utility trailer that I got second hand, but have had it for the last 5 years.  But yesterday when the left blinker and brake light stopped working, the spare magnetic set worked fine, so I'm thinking its the trailer wiring this time. Right light is working fine. It had a wiring issue similar years ago and for some reason I recall it being on the jeep side. All jeep lights are fine, checked a couple fuses. 

I did buy a kit to rewire the entire thing, but before I do so anything to check out?  The bulbs are good as the wiring flashes when first connected, no obvious damage anywhere and no big event as a clue.  I'm guessing either a bad ground or pinched wire, but does the initial flash when connected provide some other clue that I'm just missing? 

Anyway I figured I would throw this out there before I get to rewiring some afternoon this week.

:cheers
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
Re: Trailer wiring left blinker /brake lights not working
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »
Oh and when the headlights or running lights are on the left side lights illuminate for that signal. Just not blinker or brakes on the left side.
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
Did some testing with my neighbor’s truck. Looks like the culprit is the 7 to 4 pin converter. The inner plug is loose and not making for a solid engagement unless being extra careful when using it.

Idk might still rewire the trailer but definitely will be picking up a new converter.
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Offline overhead

• Member 2020
  • Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »
another thing to check would be the grounds. they tend to degrade over time. With my big trailer I know that has been one of the larger issues but my biggest problem was the wonky wiring runs that kept having wires get pinched and broken creating their own grounds just because. 
The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »
Take the white wire ( Ground on the trailer side)  and  attached to the trailer frame. This way you have a common ground  on the trailer frame.
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline jwilson2598

• Webmaster
  • BOD
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 11:05:47 PM »
Did some testing with my neighbor’s truck. Looks like the culprit is the 7 to 4 pin converter. The inner plug is loose and not making for a solid engagement unless being extra careful when using it.

Idk might still rewire the trailer but definitely will be picking up a new converter.
I use this on the LJ instead of the converter and like it much better. When I installed the 7 pin wiring harness, I just replaced the factory 7 way with it, and now you have both options. Completely plug and play with the factory wiring too.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Hopkins/42145.html
Jeff

2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 35" Wildpeak AT3W, Warn VR12-s winch, Mopar winch guard, Redarc brake controller
2004 Wrangler Unlimited, 2" lift, 265/75/16 Wildpeak AT3W, Moab wheels, Mopar/AEV front and rear bumpers, JVC DDIN radio with backup camera

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »
Decided to rewire even though the converter was the smoking gun. It was just time, plus the old lights had cracked lens.

At the front the old wiring had too much exposed wire at the butt connectors and the ground was hanging by a strand.

New kit, used the provided connector as a disconnect close in to the frame.

Old wiring had four of these patch wires to extend the length, just wrapped together, no connector or solder.

Still need to pick up a new converter or replace the 7 way with the kit Jeff linked. But with the repaired converter it all checked out and is operational.
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.