Author Topic: Sunshade opinions  (Read 177 times)

Offline mopar31898

• Member 2020
Sunshade opinions
« on: June 08, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
All,

I did a quick search and there wasn't a lot out there. With top down season upon us, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion, good or bad, about specific sunshade brands.

I know most are similar but some use elastic straps while others use nylon straps, etc. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of these slight differences?  Anyone have any real world experience?

I assume most sunshades are similar between models as far as quality and performance go so let me know what you think regardless of model type.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline VTJEEP17

• Member 2020 VA4WD
Re: Sunshade opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »
I have the JTOPS Sunscreen and it uses magnets and click connects.  It works well and it does not flap much at all on the highway.  That being said it takes longer to put on and take off compared to say a spidershade.  I have had mine for 2 years and it hasn't faded at all and no weak spots near the connection points. 
Roger
Stock 17 JKU Chief Blue OM Edition
Huh...I didn't know it could do that.

Offline JubileeJones

• Forum User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
I bought a "BADASS MOTO" sun shade from amazon last year. It's a nylon mesh with bungees and it has held up great so far. Makes a huge difference in the summer sun.

Only negative is that is was bitch to clean after a dusty off-road trip. I ended up having to take it off and hit it with a pressure washer.

I definitely recommend getting the full length shade even if you don't have rear passengers, the extra coverage is a big plus.

Offline gravitywell

• Forum User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
JTopsUSA in dense titanium. It's an actual uv rated mesh for horizontal use.

Other shades, and even Jtops other colors are not deisgned for horizontal use.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Offline Iceman

• Forum User
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
I run a SpiderWebShade on my JK 2 door. Tight fit and no flapping. You also do not have to remove it to put the top back up/on.

-Clayton

Offline RFH_98TJ

• Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
I bought a used 4-door JK Alienware shade for cheap and it fits my TJ perfect.  Stays on all the time whether the top is up or down.  I think it helps to dampen the noise inside a little too.
98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 35s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, Lots of welding

- Frank

Offline mopar31898

• Member 2020
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:19:38 PM »
All,

Thanks for the responses. I’m currently researching options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DAMTALL

• Thread Jackin' 24/7
  • Committee: Events
  • JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »
When I first bought my JKU, I purchased a SpiderWebshade.  Worked very well and kept the sun off my bald head, neck and face.  It wore out eventually and my in-law bought me a GearShade.  It does pretty much the same thing, but I like it because it has zipper compartments at the corners above the driver and passenger.  Just an added plus!

https://www.gearshade.com/
Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.