Author Topic: Small Engine only runs on Full Choke  (Read 786 times)

Offline RFH_98TJ

• Forum User
Re: Small Engine only runs on Full Choke
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
If you drop the bowl with the carb and fuel line still attached you will see how fast fuel is flowing.  The float should swing down and fuel will flow - like it is supposed to.  Short of actually measuring, anything more than a slow drip with a small engine is more than enough.  It will usually dribble or pour.

DON'T MELT YOUR ASPHALT!
98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 35s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, Lots of welding

- Frank

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »
Vent line blew out fine. Float shutoff checked out fine. Gas flow checked out fine.

Went to start same problem.   Took off air assembly to check linkages, they were fine. Wasn’t really paying attention enough but pretty sure I had the gasket between the air assembly an carb flipped. Put it back together and it started. Much like before started on full choke, go to Run and it stumbled and shut off. Restart. Move slightly off full choke and it really smooths out, probably 3/4. Ended up pressure washing like that for 30 minutes. Normal power. Uneventful. Where as before I tried to run near full choke it it couldn’t put out pressure.

Idk, still obviously have the original problem to some degree, but not sure how big of a deal overall. Plan to still run some sea foam in the fuel. Maybe change the plug. But I guess deep down I believe there is still some passage with a blockage in the carb.
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
One of the jets is still gunked up.  What I have done  in the past is use brake cleaner on all the jets. Yes you will use a whole can, but the end of the day the jets and passages  will be clear. WE will need to pull the jets,  clean  with  brake cleaner and then clean the port the jet goes in.  there are a number of passageways  in the throat of the throat of the cab. use the straw  on the brake clean can and  blast them as well.

Good luck.

Cheers
Rob
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.