Author Topic: March 21st - Rausch Creek Offroad Park  (Read 903 times)

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
Re: March 21st - Rausch Creek Offroad Park
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »
I was able to free up the weekend.   I'll be there.
Excellent!
Women Wheelers | IG: @offroadelites & @ladyhawkjk

Offline Moto Moto

• Forum User
  • 2019 JLURT
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:09 AM »
I'd like to sign up for the last spot, lucky number 7, if that is okay. I assume a stock JLUR will be sufficient.

Is this family friendly? We usually bring our 3 boys (3,6,9)

I don't have a winch, but I do have a tow strap.

I have GMRS/FRS radios, does this group use these or is it cb only?

Do you guys caravan up from VA?

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2020
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »
I'd like to sign up for the last spot, lucky number 7, if that is okay. I assume a stock JLUR will be sufficient.

I'll probably have GMRS by the end of March.  Last time I was at Rausch, we had a stock JLUR with us on blues and they were fine.  Cannot speak for blacks
2000 TJ Sport
~3.75" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »

Stock JLUR will be fine on most anything at Rausch.  higher level trail  you will  drag your  undersides a bit here and there. if you are ok with  easing the skids of  things  you should be fine.  Lots of good  talen on this run and  BHJ is a  great guide.

Comms, Club run Cb mostly.  Few of us Run Race radios (VHF)

Cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »

This ride is absolutely family friendly!
We usually meet in the parking lot of Rausch Creek as many of us live hours away from each other.
Stock Jeeps perform exceptionally well, and for the harder trails I, and whoever would like to chime in will spot you  :cheers
I personally run a CB.

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2020
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
As far as convoys go, I'll be driving up from Arlington and can meet up with folks along the way as paths converge
2000 TJ Sport
~3.75" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 08:36:38 AM »
As far as travel plans, Me and my Mall crawler will be heading up early Saturday morning. Since I am  in the land of the lost  I will be running thru  the Baltimore Beltway area. Plan on stopping  at Exit 100 and see if the New Diner is up and running yet for  breakfast and then meeting at the park  for the ride.  As  always will monitor  CB4 and VHF 151.380 and that other talky thing.... Cell.

Thinking of hitting the diner at 0700 for a cup of Jo and some hot  grub.   Would like to extend the offer to  rally after the ride at O'Neills  for some good chear and  teh  usually afteraction report ( Read wings and libations) It is a family friendly spot so kids are welcome.

BHJ and I were chatting  tossing the idea around  about skills work. I had done one of these late last year  and it was a blast We willhave a few  very talented  folk along  that are excellent in this area.  Let BHJ know and we can craft something up for all.

In the mean time

HAppy V- day to all. Make sure the Jeep gets some love too! :8

Cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »
For anyone around my area... I will be departing Tysons Corner around 5 A.M.  :D

All, as Rob said above, we have tossed some ideas into a hat. Does anyone have skills they would like to work on? Please feel free to share ahead of time.
This is no pressure on anyone's end, if you feel you just want to come along, have fun, and work on what pops up along the way, that's an option as well.
At the end of the day, the goal is to do what we do best, learn, and have fun  :tu

Online cram501

• Member 2020 VA4WD
  • Ashburn, VA
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
For anyone around my area... I will be departing Tysons Corner around 5 A.M.  :D

All, as Rob said above, we have tossed some ideas into a hat. Does anyone have skills they would like to work on? Please feel free to share ahead of time.
This is no pressure on anyone's end, if you feel you just want to come along, have fun, and work on what pops up along the way, that's an option as well.
At the end of the day, the goal is to do what we do best, learn, and have fun  :tu

Early mornings and I usually don't get along well so I may go up the night before.   I'll decide as it gets closer to the 21st.    Which route are you planning to take (15, 495) from Tysons if I decide to wake up at an ungodly hour?

I've been meaning to add a CB for a while now.   I'm not sure i'll have the time before the 21st but I"ll see if I can fit it in.

2019 Mojito! JLUS MOAB

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
I am in the same boat where I may have a night up there... but route wise 495 to 15 would be correct.
Don't stress too much on the CB if you can't get one, we can always use hand signals (person in front and behind can stay alert, as will I).

Offline JP-XPLR

• Member 2020 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:39 PM »
We will likely go up the evening before and stay near Harrisburg.  If not, I will be going up the back way via I15 to I81 through Leesburg, Frederick, and Harrisburg.
Joe

US Army Veteran - Never Forget

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Offline JP-XPLR

• Member 2020 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
Does anyone have skills they would like to work on? Please feel free to share ahead of time.

I’d like to continue to build confidence and trust in both my and my vehicles capabilities. The only way I see to do it is to take on whatever challenges we encounter.  Watching others will also allow me to learn to “pick the lines”.
Joe

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 01:12:11 AM »
Understood! Picking lines is a fun skill to work on as the day passes, which leads to understanding how to spot rigs. Will keep this in mind  :cheers

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 02:19:38 PM »
Does anyone have skills they would like to work on? Please feel free to share ahead of time.

I’d like to continue to build confidence and trust in both my and my vehicles capabilities. The only way I see to do it is to take on whatever challenges we encounter.  Watching others will also allow me to learn to “pick the lines”.

Picking a line.... this is very much an individual and rig based  idea. The line that works for me  may not work for you so learning to read the terrain and understand  what your rig is capable  of with you driving it is very important.  Technique has a lot to do with  being able to get thru the obstacle or to struggle.  At the end of the day  the line you pick is unique to you, your rig and your skill sets.

Many focus a lot on follow the other guy. If he made it we can too and there is some truth to that.  Ever follow that rig and have trouble? Wonder why? 

Picking the right line has as much to do with you and your rig as it does with the terrain. Some  things to consider:
Rig type short WB or long
Ground clearance
Tire type
Tire pressure
Tire size ( height and width)
Traction aiding devices (lockers/LS units etc)
Vehicle weight
Suspension

Skills, are you comfortable with your Rig? 
Can you maintain momentum  in difficult sections
Throttle control
Left foot braking
Steering input to find and keep traction
Are you listen/feeling what your rig is telling you?

Guide/Spotter  interface. Do you trust each other? work well together? Understand the "plan"

Now about that trail.  Let just say you have a good handle on  the above.  Apply that to the challenge ahead.  Can you "see" the path?  This sounds silly but most  only see a trail or a huge challenge and stop right there.  "They" stop right there and  let someone else try first. Now seeing  their line  they decide to follow.  The real challenge is to be that first rig and find that line. 

A great way to learn how to see a line is to spot other rigs. Watching how a machine interacts with a challenge is very helpful  when driving it yourself.  work with a spotter  and ask questions.  Get them to talk to you and explain why  they are  guiding a certain way and what they are looking for. Tough? Yes if you are  in earnest trying to guide another rig  without damaging them it is very stressful, but rewarding.

So  let me circle back  without hi-jacking BHJ thread and ride.  If anyone would like to work on skills  to include winching  please feel free to share your thoughts. we could have two groups  on for skills and one for  just bombing thru the trails.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

Cheers

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:39:40 PM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline JP-XPLR

• Member 2020 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »
All good points and things to definitely think about. Good thing is I’ve learned much during previous trail runs with you and others but definitely know and I have so much more to learn. 

Thanks again Rob.
Joe

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Kronthal (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep) | Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.