Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? - December 2019  (Read 2583 times)

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today? - December 2019
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2019, 08:12:47 AM »

That’s what Rich sold me 🤣🤣. Also, with my rear lower mounts outboarded I need a little stiffer shock. I’m still going to run my Rancho 5000X shocks in the front. If those are to soft, then I’ll try the OME since I have them.

My understanding is the OMEs are in between the Rancho 5000X and the Bilstein 5100s.  I have the option on the front since I have some Rancho’s in the right length already. I’ll try them both and see. My rig is pretty light so I figure the softer the better. We shall see.

I've run Ranchos, Bilsteins, and OME springs with Metalcloak 3.5" springs.  Out of the three, the OME shocks were the best ride. They are soft, but not to soft, and have great downward travel. The only negative side to them is that the shock body is huge. The Rancho 5000x is my next choice and I'd never run a Bilstein on a TJ. The Bilsteins do work on an LJ, but are way to stiff on a TJ running Metalcloak springs.

BTW, your wallet may be a little lighter, but you're going to end up with a rig that will flex awesome for a SA suspension!   ;)
Yes, I can’t wait to get the new setup out on the trails. I’ve got the front springs on and the front lower arms. I need to get new hardware for the front uppers and install the rear arms. Hope to get it finished up today, but will probably bleed into the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
5" total lift (3.75" SL and 1.25"BL)
35's Cooper SST Pro's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline chromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2019, 09:02:04 AM »
I installed a couple U joints on stock front and rear drive-shafts I picked up from Patrick.  While re-installing the front drive-shaft back in the Jeep, I got three of the four bolts in on the transfer case side.  While putting the fourth bolt in, I dropped the 8MM socket and it managed to fall in between the joints.  :twist  Now, I can't get the socket out without removing the three bolts.  Normally, this isn't a big deal, but I have the skid plate installed, which makes it difficult to get to the bolts.  Needless to say, I cussed at it :rf and walked away for the day!  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 09:03:42 AM by Runner »
2004 LJ - Built to wheel, but hides in the garage :(

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
Sounds like my kinda luck Rich. Though if it went in it should come back out without going through that again?
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »
Sounds like my kinda luck Rich. Though if it went in it should come back out without going through that again?

One of those cases where it went in, but won't come out.  I couldn't have done that if I tried....as you said, it's the way my luck runs.  On the positive side, I'm close to having the TJ back to driving status, after removing a majority of the drive-train and suspension mods.

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »
I picked up a transmission (aw4) for the Scrambler last night. And continued to look ip parts for the swap.
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2020
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
I installed a couple U joints on stock front and rear drive-shafts I picked up from Patrick.  While re-installing the front drive-shaft back in the Jeep, I got three of the four bolts in on the transfer case side.  While putting the fourth bolt in, I dropped the 8MM socket and it managed to fall in between the joints.  :twist  Now, I can't get the socket out without removing the three bolts.  Normally, this isn't a big deal, but I have the skid plate installed, which makes it difficult to get to the bolts.  Needless to say, I cussed at it :rf and walked away for the day!  
It sounds like by giving you my parts, I've managed to pass on my luck as well.  Maybe this means my curse is lifted?  ;)
2000 TJ Sport
~3.75" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Offline JP-XPLR

• Member 2020 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
In preparation for getting the Jeep out on the trail, I installed my first exterior mods as soon as the UPS guy showed, a Fishbone Offroad mid-width bumper and a Quadratec winch with synthetic rope. 

Before:

During:

And after:
Joe

US Army Veteran - Never Forget

2019 JLUR
2016 Indian Roadmaster

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »
Finished up the install of my new to me MC adjustable control arms and 3.5” springs:

Also did an alignment, so she is ready to roll. Hopefully they don’t salt the roads.

Sarkis

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 06:04:54 AM »
It sounds like by giving you my parts, I've managed to pass on my luck as well.  Maybe this means my curse is lifted?  ;)

I'm hoping you didn't pass it on to me!   :D

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 06:08:47 AM »
Finished up the install of my new to me MC adjustable control arms and 3.5” springs:

Did you check the brake lines?  From the angle of the last picture your brake lines look short.  Could just be the angle, but those springs have a tremendous amount of downward travel.

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 06:33:24 AM »

Did you check the brake lines?  From the angle of the last picture your brake lines look short.  Could just be the angle, but those springs have a tremendous amount of downward travel.
Good point, I had not checked that. I had to unbolt them from frame when I pulled the CAs to install the springs. I have a feeling they are fine since the shock was also an inch or so past full extension. I’ll check it out though, thanks Rich!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
I have a feeling they are fine since the shock was also an inch or so past full extension.
Did you end up with a little extra lift?

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
I have a feeling they are fine since the shock was also an inch or so past full extension.
Did you end up with a little extra lift?
I ended up measuring the front at a little under 3.5” in the front and 4” in the rear. When I go to 35s, I’ll put the 5/8” spacers back on the front.

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Changed the oil this morning, so cold out there, all business to quickly get the job done.
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
Changed the oil this morning, so cold out there, all business to quickly get the job done.

Dang. You must have HAD to get the oil changed today. Bot sure I would have voluntarily done that today. Heck, I am looking at my CJ in the driveway knowing all of the work I need to do to it and just can’t get motivated. Way too cold.
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.