Author Topic: Bye, Bye VA Annual Safety Inspections???  (Read 895 times)

Offline SLS TJ

• Forum User
Re: Bye, Bye VA Annual Safety Inspections???
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »

I have mixed feelings on the issue. I would love to get away from the inspections, but I know that I keep my vehicles maintained. I don't want to be killed or injured because some asshat is on bald tires with metal on metal brakes and ball joints about to pop out of socket. Don't want a rusted out exhaust flying off the car in front of me either! If they stop inspections, then road checks will become more important and time consuming.

Online dave2002ti

• Member 2020
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »

I have mixed feelings on the issue. I would love to get away from the inspections, but I know that I keep my vehicles maintained. I don't want to be killed or injured because some asshat is on bald tires with metal on metal brakes and ball joints about to pop out of socket. Don't want a rusted out exhaust flying off the car in front of me either! If they stop inspections, then road checks will become more important and time consuming.

Road checks dont generate as much revenue as speed enforcement.  I want them to go back to safety inspections every 6 months.  Was behind JKU back a couple weeks with LEDs brake lights that when the driver had his foot on the brake pedal his brake lights just werent that much brighter than his taillights. And sorry motorcycles registed in VA should have a 80db noise limit for their exhausts except for Ducattis. Loud pipes dont safe lives when your driving todays vehicles. Nothing more annoying than an unmuffled V twin.

Dave Apker

Offline gravitywell

• Forum User
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
I've lived in Maryland, Tennessee and Virginia.

Maryland only had the initial inspection.

Tennessee had annual emissions checks and an annual wheel tax ($5 per wheel on the vehicle). Emissions stations were state owned and operated. You drove up, waited in line for your turn, they did the test, you paid your wheel tax and testing fee an you were on your way.

And, you all know the story with VA. I've had great luck with small shops nearby, as well as the dealership. I went to VA Tire and Auto and that was a mud monkey show.

Side ranting... VA is the only state I've had to pay annual taxes on my vehicles. And I still can't understand it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Online dave2002ti

• Member 2020
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 04:33:58 PM »

Tennessee had annual emissions checks and an annual wheel tax ($5 per wheel on the vehicle). Emissions stations were state owned and operated. You drove up, waited in line for your turn, they did the test, you paid your wheel tax and testing fee an you were on your way.

And, you all know the story with VA. I've had great luck with small shops nearby, as well as the dealership. I went to VA Tire and Auto and that was a mud monkey show.

Side ranting... VA is the only state I've had to pay annual taxes on my vehicles. And I still can't understand it.

Compare the total tax burden for each state. Income taxes both state and local, property tax, other taxes like personal property tax, and the sales tax.  Now I ahve always worked with folks who lived in MD and they say we dont ahve a perosnal property tax yeah but you do ahve a county piggy back tax on your income.  Only thing now is homeowners in Fairfax County are getting screwed on their Federal income taxes when it comes to deductions. County needs to spread out the tax burden and stop screwing homeowners since we cant no longer deduct all the taxes we pay. A tax on rents would be a great source of funding and cutting the property tax rate will increasing the local sales tax would also be a good idea. Hell I buy my gas in Fauquier County usually so I dont give Fairfax County any extra money for public transportation.

Dave Apker

Offline gravitywell

• Forum User
Re: Re: Bye, Bye VA Annual Safety Inspections???
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 04:52:33 PM »

Compare the total tax burden for each state. Income taxes both state and local, property tax, other taxes like personal property tax, and the sales tax.  Now I ahve always worked with folks who lived in MD and they say we dont ahve a perosnal property tax yeah but you do ahve a county piggy back tax on your income.  Only thing now is homeowners in Fairfax County are getting screwed on their Federal income taxes when it comes to deductions. County needs to spread out the tax burden and stop screwing homeowners since we cant no longer deduct all the taxes we pay. A tax on rents would be a great source of funding and cutting the property tax rate will increasing the local sales tax would also be a good idea. Hell I buy my gas in Fauquier County usually so I dont give Fairfax County any extra money for public transportation.

Dave Apker
Tennessee had no state income tax. Sales tax was 9.25% when I left. Again, no PP tax.

I miss Tennessee. Lol

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.