Author Topic: Harbor Freight Winch - Suggestions  (Read 7058 times)

Offline zuke

• Forum User
Re: Harbor Freight Winch - Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
There are only two things to consider when you want to support the American Economy, and they have nothing to do with where it's made, or who owns the company....

How many Americans do they Employ?
It doesn't matter if it's assembled by three robots and one engineer in Toledo, or 1 robot and 4 laborers in Malaysia, The import requires an importer and dock workers who are Americans, The American made requires a host of Americans too, Unless you are really going to get down in the weeds about who the company employs and contracts, it's very difficult to know how many Americans earn their living from a product. If an American company farms out their call center to India, that hurts us more than Warn sourcing the Solenoid box from Hong Kong.

Are they traded on a US Stock Exchange?
"Foreign Owned" is the biggest illusion out there. Americans own shares of FCA, Italians can buy shares of Ford and Apple, You want to keep Jeep Profits in America? go by shares of FCA....
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline dan58

• Forum User
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 01:27:48 AM »
Warn has a great reputation for reliability and my dealings with their support staff has been terrific. I buy American whenever possible but for my money I expect and usually receive all made in America parts, superior engineering, and superior quality at a competitive price. I believe Ramsey is the only manufacturer that meets that criteria and their price point is a lot better than Warn. If anything Ramsey should be the go to company for American made winches. I believe they have the only "Made in American" sticker on every part rather than a "Crafted with pride in the USA" sticker you find on better Warn winches. (Note Warn winches no longer say made in US on any of them. The "Crafted" sticker is false advertising trying to make you believe they are all 100% American made. That pisses me off more than if they would just come out and say most their parts and winches are made outside the country. BTW Warn isn't even owned by Warn anymore and they employ less than 600 people nationwide. The crappy Chinese company I buy my computers from employs more Americans than Warn does.
Still its hard to pay twice the price for a Ramsey which is 100% American made (or 3-4 times for a Warn) for less pulling power than a Chinese made winch. Don't forget the Jeep you are putting it on isn't made in America either. Its assembled in American and owned by a foreign company. The Jeep hasn't been 100% American made for over 3 decades and American owned for over two decades. Its very hard to wave the American flag nowadays and say buy American when even American products aren't even 100% made in America nor employ Americans or keep the money they make in America.

I'm curious as to why you think so much of the Warn winch is made offshore.  The motor is.  Everything else in the non VR is US (those are offshore to compete on price).  They sub out their heat treating to another company in Clackamas, Or.  The broaching of all of the gears is done right there by their equipment.  What's left?  Castings and a rope.  They even powdercoat in house.  The Assembled in USA label is correct.  I'm not sure why you have such a problem with Americans having jobs.  We all own Jeeps, right? They're less USA than Warn.

See Camo and Jessie do a tour.  That's exactly what I saw less than a year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yLvpPjxHE

Why isn't Ramsey the "go to" winch?  I'd recon that they do a very poor job at marketing (offroad recovery isn't their primary business), and frankly, their innovation is severely lacking compared to others, IMHO.  (see Warn Platinum for example)

Warn has been owned by Dover for many years.  I don't see why that makes a difference.  Very few companies are truly independent.  If they're successful, larger companies will buy them out.

Just for sh1ts and grins, I checked online pricing between the base 8K winches without integrated solenoid and with steel cable.  This is a quick google shopping search.
Ramsey Patriot 8000 p/n 109153 is $835.20 shipped
Warn M8000 p/n 26502 is $584.99 shipped
Warn VR8000 p/n W86245 $499 shipped
HF 9K (no coupon) is $299.99 + tax

Bottom line. Go wheel.   :tu

Offline Osiris

• Member 2020
  • Mall crawler extraordinaire
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
Bobby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Offline cwfunrider

• Forum User

Offline Safari Jeep XJ

• TRC
  • Forum User
  • Remember that 2012 Winter Ride? Yeah...
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
Just to stir the pot.....

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/quadratec_exclusive/quadratec_winch/#synthetic

My understanding is that these are rebadged Smittybuilt winches, right?
1990 XJ Laredo
Renix 4.0L, AX-15, NP231J
Build Sheet

"He'sa comin' down from the Cumberland Gap to Johson City, Tennessee..."

Offline cwfunrider

• Forum User
Re:
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
I have no idea.  Just throwing another "winch" in the gears.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline dan58

• Forum User
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »
lol.  Are we adding all of the brands now?   :lol

Want bang for the buck?  Try this one.  I have seen them in action, and I'll put it against anything that doesn't say Warn or Ramsey.

https://www.samsoffroadllc.com/orders/winch/electric-winch/trail-fx-electric-winch-8000-lb

http://www.trailfx.com/winches.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:06:28 AM by dan58 »

Offline Sheepdog

• Forum User
Re: Re: Harbor Freight Winch - Suggestions
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
2015 JKU Sahara; 2.5" TeraFlex lift; 35 12.5/17 KO2; Yukon 4.88; Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust kit; Retired USAF; WWP Alumnus; Team Rubicon member

Offline cwfunrider

• Forum User
Re: Re: Re: Harbor Freight Winch - Suggestions
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/quadratec_exclusive/quadratec_winch/#synthetic
I've considered this one. I like the synthetic line.
I added the link to be a smart a#$. But seriously if I was going to buy a winch one these with the synthetic line would be the one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline AutoTraker

• Forum User
Re: Re: Re: Harbor Freight Winch - Suggestions
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »

I've considered this one. I like the synthetic line.
I added the link to be a smart a#$. But seriously if I was going to buy a winch one these with the synthetic line would be the one.
I considered it too since I need another winch. But its $550 for their 11k with synthetic and HF with 3rd party synthetic is still $100 less. Plus I can walk into any HF store which are all over and get it warranted in a few minutes if I ever have an issue with it. The other one I'm considering is this one http://www.amazon.com/Tungsten4x4-T12000S-Capacity-Electric-Synthetic/dp/B00MJDCSME
$390, 12k lbs with synthetic and remote control. Only thing that bothers me is their closest store is in Florida. I guess Quadratec isn't much better since their closest store is in PA.
Think its a toss up between HF and Tungsten4x4...
--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA

Offline Skipperart

• Forum User
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 01:19:21 PM »
What would be a good winch to get from HF?
I will get a cover for it because I had one on a trailer and the can't tensioner got all rusted.
It's a YJ
anyone has any pictures or recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jeepsnbuses

• Member 2020
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »
I will get a cover for it because I had one on a trailer and the can't tensioner got all rusted.
It's a YJ

Woahhh 2016 thread making a comeback

I'm not sure why you'd buy a HF winch when you can get something like this for $268 off of Amazon, or $294 with the cover included: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-97495-XRC-Winch-Capacity/dp/B00JXS3BXI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1DYAVXJVKEP0&keywords=smittybilt+winch&qid=1579011050&sprefix=smitty%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-4

There are two caveats with that unit: 1) it is now discontinued by Smittybilt (warranty it still honored, I've checked), and 2) the remote is wired, not wireless.  I have had this for almost three years now and it's been plenty for both an XJ and a TJ. I've dunked it several times with no issues thus far. I'm sure this is still made in China or thereabouts, but I do trust Smittybilt over HF.
2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »
Meh, chittybuilt is now owned by Polaris, who screwed 4wd Hardware over in their purchase of: Trans American auto parts. So IMHO they can stick it and their products.

I will spend my $$ on Ramsey and Warn. My Ramsey has been on my CJ since 98' no complaints, sans it's line speed on occasion..

There are plenty of cheap winches out there for those not wanting to spend the cash.

FB Market Place and CL yield great finds too. I picked up a very nice Warn for my JKU dirt cheap.
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline gravitywell

• Forum User
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »
It's a YJ

I've heard great things about the new Badlands Apex 12k winch from Harbor Freight. It's $599 in sale, and some people have reported the 20% coupon stacks (I haven't tried it)

Its also wireless, "waterproof" and comes with synthetic line.

Its the only winch I'd look at from HF, personally.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2020, 07:14:38 AM »
I'm looking at buying a winch and noticed that HF had some at a decent price. Seeing if anyone's has any positive or negative comments about their product.

Thanks.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/vr-evo-series-winch/10000lb-synthetic-rope

good price for a quality winch.
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.