Two technical questions about 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

First question: I have a “knocking” or ”pinging” noise that occurs frequently, but not always (I would call it intermittent but it occurs fairly frequently) almost always between 1000 rpm and 2000 rpm, and more specifically 1400 rpm to 1700 rpm. It has the V-6 Pentastar engine in it. I bought the Jeep used from Carmax and it had 18,100 miles and was a little more that one year old when I bought it. The Jeep did not have this problem then, but about about 23, 000 I started to notice it. I now have about 44, 000 on it but it does not seem to have gotten worse, or more frequent. I have taken it to my dealer (Criswell in Gaithersburg MD) several times and told the about it (it is still under warranty and want them to fix it before it is out of warranty) but they don’t seem to know the cause. They have heard it when test driving it, but it isn’t loud enough, or constant enough for them to have diagnosed the problem. They did say on the last trip to them that they replaced some valve components but that seemed to do nothing? Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Second Question: I am trying to understand whether I can put a 16 foot, 84 pound, canoe on the top of my Wrangler (2019 Wrangler Sport Unlimited) with the hard/removable top. I don’t want to put any “heavy duty” rack on my Jeep so I am just wondering whether the roof can hold it> I asked the dealer and they said they didn’t know. Anyone have any knowledge about whether I can put a 16 foot, 84 pound canoe on the top of my hard top? Any and all information appreciated.

Its still under the emission waranty. What brand of gas are you using? Is it throwing any codes? Suggestion find a desolate section of straight road and do what we used call back in the good old days and "Italian tune up". Floor it and then hold it in third gear at close to max revs for a couple of minutes to allow all the carbon and crap to burn off. Check all the spark plug leads and leads from the distributor etc to make sure they are tight and not frayed. Check and make sure the O2 sensor wiring is not loose. Let your tank run down to near empty and try gas from a Tier 1 gas station Shell, Exxon/Mobil or BP. Change your air filter and make sure there aren't any leaks any all the joints are tight from the airfilter box to the throttle body.

Dave Apker

Thanks, but, at this point, I assume the dealer has looked into all these. I have been told by one or two friends/neighbors that I spoke with about the problem that it could be a “carbon build-up problem” which it sounds like you are suggesting (Italian tune up”). If it is a carbon build-up problem (and I’m not convinced that it is), those same people have told me to run “Seafoam” through the engine and that should take care of carbon build-up. But I have switch gasoline grades from 87 to 93 (it should run on 87 so I use 87), switched gasoline types Shell to Exxon (I mostly use Shell but did try using Exxon for a few week period of time) and in each case, no change - still knocking or pinging. I think the dealer did replace the spark plugs, checked the wires and the air filer has been replaced and I’m sure he checked the smog control systems such as the O2 sensor. But thanks for you information anyway. Hopefully I will be able to resolve this shortly, or certainly before the end of the warranty period.

Unfortunately, service techs at dealerships aren't always great at diagnostics (some are, some aren't- not trying to sound condescending towards any of them). Try a different dealership and see if a fresh set of eyes and ears can catch it. I've been impressed with the techs at the leesburg Jeep dealer and make the trip from Fairfax for warranty work. If you can, make a video when it is making the noise and share it here and with the dealership. If you haven't yet, do an oil change on it with the correct weight oil- sometimes shops mistakenly put the wrong weight oil in. Does it ever make the noise when you're stopped or only while driving? Also take a good look at your exhaust and make sure its all in good shape. Often an exhaust leak can sound like an engine problem.

As for the canoe, no problem with the top off- I use pool noodles over the windshield and the roll bar and straps. If you put it directly on the hard top, I would use at least 3 foam blocks to spread the load so you don't do any damage to the freedom panels or top itself. I transported my 19' grumman on my JKU countless times without issues, but no guarantees. Just be careful not to ratchet it down too much.

If it is pinging, then timing is off. This could be sensors giving false information to the computer. a Simple fix to clean up carbon is get the motor hot, pull the intake tube, get a mist type spray bottle and mist water into the intake with a little RPM over idle. mist enough to hear the rpm change then rev it up a couple times to help clear carbon build up.

O2 sensors can also be the culprit. If they are out of tolerance or at the edge of tolerance they will tell the motor to advance or retard timing Pinging is usually from too much timing or low octane rating. Since the Jeep runs on 87 as long as you get gas from a top tier station you can likely rule out the fuel source. This is a sensor or a catalytic converter issue.

Bad coil or plug wire might also be a suspect. does it idle smooth?

You're not the only one but dont worry...it's no cause for concern 🤣
knocking.JPG

Back