Rausch weekend run 15-17 Dec

Added to Calendar: 12-14-23, 12-15-23, 12-16-23

R3

Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
Morning Boyz and Girls,

With a little luck the big Red Jeep will be back and functional by this time. (yes there are some delays in the process) I have a few passes that need to be used up by years end so the plan is to head up Early Friday and ride Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday to midday and head back to the barn. With the weather being , well the usual unpredictable self, lodging will be determined by the forecast that week. If lows are above 50 camping is authorized if the lows go south of that camping will be in Pine Grove within a heated space. Friday night wings at the pub Hot food on the trail for lunch.

Trails anything and everything. depending on the hunting schedule we could be either side of the park.

UPDATE #1: looking at various models and long range forecasts there is a better than average possibility of weather events. I know this will deter many of you and that is ok. Please let me know if the weather suspect for this event will change you plans. Yes plannign on a Snow or shine event. Add frozen precipitation and everything changes . Green trails become red and reds, well the challenge is real and winches are the tool of the day. To this end is you have a winch please , OP CHECK it before you need it. Nothing worse than being stuck and the winch you bought a few years ago is not working. Will continue to update as the event get closer.

If old man winter spreads his white coat, the trip to and from the park will likely be the most dangerous. please plan accordingly. Once in the park we can handle any situation.

Update #2: The Red Jeep will be on its shake down run ( first trip out on the new power train configuration). Planning on a 1/2 day on Friday with Dinner/Wings at "The Pub" All are welcome to join.

Saturday plan to arrive when the park opens and then have a short drivers meeting before hitting the trails. Lunch will be on the trails I plan on bringing something hot to share will update as the event get closer.

Sunday will be a half day and it have become a tradition to have "Lunch on the beach" before airing up for the run home.

Initial lodging plan is to camp in Pine Grove ( few hotels available there) if the weather is unseasonably warm then the trailer will be in tow and will camp at Rausch.(not likely)

Weather Update: monthly looks like highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 20s dress accordingly.

Comms- GMRS ch 4
Tools - Required
Recovery gear - required
first aid and fire extinguisher - required
Full size spare - required

Lead Red Jeep (winch)
2)
3) Fearless (winch)
4) Tally Ho (winch)
5) 22bluewilly
6) 3volve (winch)
7) cloakedjl (sat)
8) spaz (sat)
9)
Tail) Rattletrap 55 (winch)

Last edited:
Interested depending on the date, I may not be able to do the 3-day but I can come up on the Saturday of that weekend. This will likely be my last run before Christmas and Holidays kick-in.

Reactions: R3
Sorry being a ole guy and a bit out of the trail ride set up.... edited the title with dates. 15-17 Dec. main day Saturday

Last edited:
Put me down as tentative for the [mention]TheGuardianJLU [/mention] Saturday only plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to my son ( @CloakedJL ) about attending. We are tentatively game.

We want to hit AOAA and Rausch before the end of the year and this would be a good chance to hit trails at Rausch. I just need to work out some details on my end and get a shake-down run in first.

I talked to my son ( @CloakedJL ) about attending. We are tentatively game.

We want to hit AOAA and Rausch before the end of the year and this would be a good chance to hit trails at Rausch. I just need to work out some details on my end and get a shake-down run in first.
let me know when you have firmed up plans.

Depending on the weather may change my plans. Not afraid to wheel in it, but towing a 24' trailer there is the bigger concern and I am not currently setup for cold weather camping.
Understand. The highways will likely be fine might need to come in to Rausch from the top of the hill. Red Jeep will be there regardless of the weather.

I knew this would bite me in the butt, but that weekend now doesn't work for me - sorry and will need to beg out. Holidays are chaotic and with family and traveling at this point I just... accept the chaos. Will catch you guys on a different ride in 2024 for sure.

ill be ”camping” at one of the local hotels this trip. Any recommendations?

Welp, just found out my Richmond office is moving Dec 15th and I have to have their network up and running that weekend. I am no longer available. :(

• Sad
ill be ”camping” at one of the local hotels this trip. Any recommendations?
Hampton inn is the nicest, Quality inn is well weather tight, Knights inn fairly cheap, Fairfield inn is a bit further away and very nice as well. Red Jeep is likely to be at the Hampton.

Back