Options for Winch Front Plate License Plate Brackets

blink9cd

Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
I got a ticket in DC for not figuring this out earlier :( Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations? I have a hawse fairlead.

A quick search showed a couple options seem to be:
* Bracket completely removable, plastic into the fairlead: https://www.quadratec.com/products/hawse-fairlead-license-plate-mounting-bracket-11238.07
* Bracket stays but license plate part removable: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rock-hard-4x4/universal-fairlead-license-plate-mount-cable-lanyard
* Bracket and plate both stay but flip up: https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-off...ation-mounting-bracket-hawse-roller-fairleads

Any issues or concerns with any style? Or is it all just how I like how it looks/stays in place?

Beware of most of these Fold up, Clip in, Easily moveable brackets.. Every one I ever had was destroyed within a year of wheeling with it.. I'd bet other people are more consciences about taking them off then I am, But I've now gone to much simpler approaches on my vehicles..

On the JKU I've got it tucked up behind the winch plate and held in place with some rare earth magnets....
PXL_20230119_230544172.jpg

PXL_20230119_230613715.jpg

Very secure since it stays tight to the fairlead mount, and leans against the solenoid box. The only time I need to take it off is when using the winch, but I tend to stick it to the inside of the tailgate when wheeling.

The Bronco I used a different approach since the Pre-Runner bar precludes putting it behind the winch fairlead, so I drilled a couple spots on the bumper, and tapped them to 5/16"-18, then installed studs in them. Bought two Bar Knob Nuts at Lowes and done.

YhQX1djh6dVwVbzrb_K7ObYAALuwY02XmeU8xa4M4QQHIDAQeLQZSCTU899g9NdfUOPTFYW5JhdAbS8jrvwJY3nNQakPJMMZxhxSE2s1AmajgXQ3h1B_Wx4G18N89Pp5VbOs61PrymgrG1yEnelrpC4k0figplldpX619W4WwraUeCUiOx4jgC7JFhYqfO68R3EdUFdo2lCDK-FMb37J5cUQLtZ5wCv1X6GvDgpGjI4b3RBTuEjHdAnuisUhOapg0lfMIxwszT8B5OkFyaSNwyRI-ePNA2sTmPS-KPSvKuZ39YjFlTToHj8PEvlUQtdeh1QPUmCyFf4v0WkceAArDeQPmdksbHEXoWApUn55tRzflJomNF7F0LMtRxzwSQm8RFrM6kQtie1cAc17hwfizLorCaILuje7qb_4UyWN5OqKZmjIFgoFWL4H9th3LzaIt-rpac5yfDsYBQcmiWOBGOqK452subsVHReFIcGHscU0o9a5vJZnnMrZpT0o527ywvuYtmicCSarqmB9j9Qk1xz14aGBnZwYmUMjvgfOiqxO61kot5V5tfLklTjNWrEZtqMcmMg-Zh7HZmuadNy4ssuEDLyDAuhVkllFOB05qR23oD0Oaa50bTh0_NGCk7PBYstiyO3YNAgOoJjpdHpb9kVCbz4dTu_u8nAXUJRRPYx8kXaI19hBkaLcBcwqDFPYH_BPATfm745AeVvDStlDPJk9D5IMD3u8EOyMetzoko_digYugyxVng5tOLKK9AQbUX_ElIN2E8zuhanCzZ6cyAEDoSJM3tuSNH0CPIa46Q4hS7a9Xf0CJKT2_-mbargL3GpaPu6wESMxsfw5fmMuGJDR4T3yD_GYRndJ2UBltx2N7oMcfvBAuVM90wXxi0rrwF7wEhhR6IsuxOtL4akWAwzMMhRiDhhomZV2VMyFPWWy314_=w996-h747-no

1sbGtURf89fXxb72wHbBICc_Uq3h0IAv-abjI_vKFk1lifjZos2G5NdSRRo1yODsgNuYGPuqXjEp8Edk8zlofOCYcGYRv4zUFOsOp0htD-_8YzXAOdk02GozB3gZUlE-P1SMdupBRQzKMqY54vYb3e9-J0EHpr2_6f__X3_n6GwMI_jFAE31SU5N30xAVlBzBctrT5ERg6QhgBbcooGWUDqA8lrM5fN1LvPF7dJRRSNOVWv8p7QuvqmHDCxyS9qlq7TcCn4PkHcn2qdWPCWjCn6nHDaQLkMUPBMuSNiKFogFufMPMXsrDOFUBGJw-F2CVf2MPQpU-R_nyNmd63c9hxJxa-lh9ylDF1xLWTdsGcRzPgKhMEhZ5WVsPvwePVX1LYlswPbLFYbhFJV_LAwGRyBwIYKEjlxo_CnFXqMpqBIkA_1uRN0n_qKHlgoZfpl-AuS2ZEkyu2_GerRCb2mHHIOJl6bWZSN8opWr0AJZww1jTf6GAkaR20v5WehJ7G1VGR0pi8LO6Y5B4JRtzrHO7gf72bcRNz9gcGZMYskc9E0A_eUo83DKzMLjBHsnFh05q1b9UaG3x__58R742_M9h0H9s94KMFBTgwSDNhrxtAj3SxQAOvka3uYgyEwynQL_f-1fHswHq5PUOuZwOVpRtKsTObtF5WPX5Wjz6hxkprOMc1T4klc6yAnWKMvPET7dZ6itOb0VMRWnQX64R-e6E_pRQHVqiN33bBXP4i247Qs834g-f8zWVLIVxT4r9bsFxzI6Egs51SefNceukyxl9s4Zk8hf03k1b9M7Po67-y9WrJ9Pzpv_yu5jn9YuAL6FqLz1HdZnX7zCF18s2Xq3DkUIXtVKLfPkIlyNMjblQrMV52tu8o7-w1a_95nYl_LnSD51KbnXKAMyoVDZr5MyH5IGyek7LDpbAIejfbWg2B_VYFzT=w996-h747-no

Again, It's well protected, secure, and the only time I need to take it off is to use the winch.

I'll bet one of these two solutions can work for you without having to buy a complex and fragile bracket..

Last edited:
I hate having a front license plate. I went with this one that goes underneath. Had it about 4 years with no problems.
IMG_3410.jpg

I stopped by Home Depot and picked ups 1’ x 1‘ 22 gauge aluminum plate, bent it on a 2x4, cut it down to size, and added nutserts to hold the plate. I don’t think it came out too bad.

Attachments

• 059DD6E7-9113-4A4D-9872-9FF2A5D8F0FB.jpeg
    059DD6E7-9113-4A4D-9872-9FF2A5D8F0FB.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 3116A5FD-690A-4BCD-90D5-AA54BABFC42B.jpeg
    3116A5FD-690A-4BCD-90D5-AA54BABFC42B.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I modified a YJ rear license plate bracket (factory flip- gas cap is under it) and use that on the front with the hawse. Dirt cheap and solid. My favorite was a clip on style I used when I had a roller fairlead. Very easy to pop off for trail time and solid on the road

I modified a YJ rear license plate bracket (factory flip- gas cap is under it) and use that on the front with the hawse. Dirt cheap and solid. My favorite was a clip on style I used when I had a roller fairlead. Very easy to pop off for trail time and solid on the road
I like that YJ plate mount idea. I also have a clip on toller fairlead style mount that has been sitting on a shelf since I switch to a hawse fairlead. Right now my front plate is ziptied to the bumper. Pretty? No. But it works.

I got a ticket in DC for not figuring this out earlier :( Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations? I have a hawse fairlead.

A quick search showed a couple options seem to be:
* Bracket completely removable, plastic into the fairlead: https://www.quadratec.com/products/hawse-fairlead-license-plate-mounting-bracket-11238.07
* Bracket stays but license plate part removable: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rock-hard-4x4/universal-fairlead-license-plate-mount-cable-lanyard
* Bracket and plate both stay but flip up: https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-off...ation-mounting-bracket-hawse-roller-fairleads

Any issues or concerns with any style? Or is it all just how I like how it looks/stays in place?

When I park in DC and have to park on the street (not in a garage), I actually use 3M automotive double sided tape and tape it to my bumper after I park, LOL. I do the same thing for VA inspection. Those DC ticket writers don't care what state you're from when it comes to writing tickets. I have seen them write a license plate ticket for a vehicle that was from PA! Like come on people, they are not required in PA. There are some things I miss about living in DC and some things I don't!

I made my own flip up plate holder out of some heavy guage stainless steel. It's been working good so far.

You probably only miss the good feeling you get when you finally move out of DC?
Haha, no I lived there for over 12 years. I literally bought the condo that I did because it was two blocks from my favorite bar in DC, LOL. It was a great area at the top of 18th street as well (Adams Morgan). It was a great place to live. There was no better place to live as a young professional, single guy.............met my wife, we sold our condos and moved to the burbs to have some mini jeepers! LOL

Wow thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I looked at all the options ranging from DIY to commercial, and put the plate at various spots on my bumper to see clearances (with light tabs above) and clearance for longer bolts behind to the winch (kinda tight for solutions that are thick).

I also saw a flip up one one a Jeep at the dealership when I dropped it off last week and liked using it (I'm probably on camera moving a license plate up and down lol). Thus I've decided to buy a flip up one and see how it goes. Along with the DV8 one I posted first, and the Cascadia one @REFYVD posted, there's also a Tuffy one and a Fishbone one. I liked the look and clearance of the Fishbone one so have decided to try it out as my first experiment. In the meantime, every time I park in DC I'll put the plate on my dash until it arrives... :ROFLMAO: (there was a note from the officer on the ticket "No plate on dash")

Haha, no I lived there for over 12 years. I literally bought the condo that I did because it was two blocks from my favorite bar in DC, LOL. It was a great area at the top of 18th street as well (Adams Morgan). It was a great place to live. There was no better place to live as a young professional, single guy.............met my wife, we sold our condos and moved to the burbs to have some mini jeepers! LOL
Oh I'm curious, what's the bar? I find myself in the area a decent amount

Oh I'm curious, what's the bar? I find myself in the area a decent amount
It was Adams Mill, Bar & Grill. It closed years ago unfortunately. There were some "unresolved issues" with the city. The "pinapple bar" has occupied its spot ever since then. I call it that because of the pineapples on their awning. It's at the corner of 18th and Columbia, next to the bank. Adams Mill was a great bar, with an awesome owner, and awesome bartenders. My soccer team buddies and put together a team and played adult kickball at Marie Reed on Thursday nights (WAKA Social Sports was the league at that time). Every opening night of every season the owner gave my team a free keg! They were our sponsor bar for the late night shenanigans most seasons! Too many good stories, LOL. 🍻

I have this and I really like. It's a bit pricey, but these guys are right down the road from me and I like supporting some local folks making a great product!!

Awesome part is, it's quick and easy to remove when you are out on the trail so you don't have to worry about snagging your plate on obstacles... just don't forget to put it back on!!

Back