New to Jeeping Run (Flagpole)

Added to Calendar: 05-14-22

New to Jeepers Ride

One of Northern VA Jeepers Associations long standing traditional rides is the early summer “New to Jeeping” trip up to Flagpole. This year’s ride will be on Saturday, May 14th.

The Trail:

This is stock Jeep friendly, family friendly, and a dog friendly outing. This is the perfect run for new Jeepers, stock Jeeps, or anyone that just wants to get out and meet some new friends. If you went to Peters Mill, this is a great next step.

Since this is a new to Jeeping run, we will do an extended safety brief before we start and go over some basic off-roading 101 points. We will have folks available to answer questions and help those who are new to all this.

Depending on the number we have sign up, we will take one group of people up Union Springs to Meadow Knob, one of the most popular mountain clearings with awesome views for great photo ops. Then we will head down Dunkle Hollow to Skidmore Lake. If we have a lot of Jeepers sign up, we may break into two groups and go the opposite way where we can meet at meadow knob for lunch.

The Flagpole trail has a little of everything. There are some fun hill climbs, some rocky obstacles, and some muddy water holes.

Lunch:

We will stop there for lunch on the trail at Meadow Knob. You can cook out, eat cold food or share with your fellow Jeepers.

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Spare tire (and tools to change)
  • Food & drinks (yes, I always consider snacks mandatory, and we will do a group lunch at the meadow)
  • Recovery points (front & rear)
  • Full tank of gas
  • Follow Tread Lightly principles (including pack in-pack out)

Recommended:
  • Fire extinguisher & first aid kit
  • Comms (we will use GMRS)
  • Recovery gear & Tools
  • Camera- You never know what you will see up there. Bear, snakes, deer, fox, quail etc.
  • Chair- To eat lunch, relax, and enjoy some scenery at the meadow

Logistics:

We will meet at Mountain View Elementary School parking lot (2800 Rawley Pike, Harrisonburg, VA 22801)
Date: May 14, 2022
Time: 8:30 AM, this will be an all-day ride

We will do a short offroad 101 talk and safety brief before rolling out

Depending on the number of sign-ups will determine the number of groups, 15 rigs will be the max per group.

1. Nacho

2. SaintedDrew
  3. Cory
  4. OneArmedSaint
  5. RG12
  6. RVAWJ

Had a great time at Peter’s Mill with the group recently but can’t do this weekend. Hoping there will be an opportunity in June to do flagpole with everyone If so, I am in! Thx

Sign me up I added a new 2020 JL to the family and it needs to be put in some dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I just got my Jeep a few weeks ago and am dying to get out to learn move about off roading and test it on on some trails. Where is "Flagpole"? I JUST saw this post and we have plans for tomorrow, but if this is close enough to us, I may be able to break them.

Hey, I just got my Jeep a few weeks ago and am dying to get out to learn move about off roading and test it on on some trails. Where is "Flagpole"? I JUST saw this post and we have plans for tomorrow, but if this is close enough to us, I may be able to break them.
Flagpole is just outside Harrisonburg, VA. It is about 2 hours (or so) from from the metro area depending where you come from.
Come join us....should be a great time.

Nacho,
Unfortunately, I am going to have to bail on this one. I look forward to the next one. Thanks, RG12

New to Jeepers Ride

One of Northern VA Jeepers Associations long standing traditional rides is the early summer “New to Jeeping” trip up to Flagpole. This year’s ride will be on Saturday, May 14th.

The Trail:

This is stock Jeep friendly, family friendly, and a dog friendly outing. This is the perfect run for new Jeepers, stock Jeeps, or anyone that just wants to get out and meet some new friends. If you went to Peters Mill, this is a great next step.

Since this is a new to Jeeping run, we will do an extended safety brief before we start and go over some basic off-roading 101 points. We will have folks available to answer questions and help those who are new to all this.

Depending on the number we have sign up, we will take one group of people up Union Springs to Meadow Knob, one of the most popular mountain clearings with awesome views for great photo ops. Then we will head down Dunkle Hollow to Skidmore Lake. If we have a lot of Jeepers sign up, we may break into two groups and go the opposite way where we can meet at meadow knob for lunch.

The Flagpole trail has a little of everything. There are some fun hill climbs, some rocky obstacles, and some muddy water holes.

Lunch:

We will stop there for lunch on the trail at Meadow Knob. You can cook out, eat cold food or share with your fellow Jeepers.

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Food & drinks (yes, I always consider snacks mandatory, and we will do a group lunch at the meadow)
  • Full tank of gas

Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools
  • Camera- You never know what you will see up there. Bear, snakes, deer, fox, quail etc.

Logistics:

We will meet at Mountain View Elementary School parking lot (2800 Rawley Pike, Harrisonburg, VA 22801)

Depending on the number of sign-ups will determine the number of groups, 15 rigs will be the max per group.

1. Nacho
  2. Nachos friend John
  3. SaintedDrew
  4. Cory
  5. OneArmedSaint
  6. RVAWJ
  7. Stone1342
  8. Jeepers Creepers

New to Jeepers Ride

The Trail:

Lunch:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas

Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho
  2. Nachos friend John
  3. SaintedDrew
  4. Cory
  5. OneArmedSaint
  6. RVAWJ
  7. Stone1342
  8. Jeepers Creepers
  9. Trail Diva

Last edited:
Wish I was off this weekend. I will have to use some vacation to make sure I make it to the next one so I can meet everyone. Have fun and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to Jeepers Ride

The Trail:

Lunch:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas

Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho
  2. Nachos friend John
  3. SaintedDrew
  4. Cory
  5. OneArmedSaint
  6. RVAWJ
  7. Stone1342
  8. Jeepers Creepers
  9. Trail Diva

New to Jeepers Ride

The Trail:

Lunch:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas

Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho
  2. Nachos friend John
  3. SaintedDrew
  4. Cory
  5. OneArmedSaint
  6. RVAWJ
  7. Stone1342
  8. Jeepers Creepers
  9. Trail Diva

New to Jeepers Ride

The Trail:

Lunch:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas

Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho
  2. Nachos friend John
  3. SaintedDrew
  4. Cory
  5. OneArmedSaint
  6. RVAWJ
  7. Stone1342
  8. Jeepers Creepers
  9. Trail Diva

I lost track of weekends and was firmly reminded that daughters prom is tomorrow… will need to drop out.

Back