Locksmith Recommendations

dave2002ti

Member 2024
Ned a locksmith to replace a front door on house lock and rekey the deadbolt.
Location Clifton, VA

Any recommendations.

TIA

Dave Apker

If you buy the lock assembly from Lowes and take your other knobs and deadbolts up there, they used to rekey everything to the new set last time I did that. Just food for thought. If you need more detailed work than a swap out I don't have much for ya. Sorry.

Some of the new locksets have an easy way to rekey it yourself. Quickset calls it Smartkey. So you can rekey the new lockset to the deadbolt but if you're trying to change keys for security you can just buy a front door lockset/dead bolt combo that is keyed the same.
Unfortunately i live quite far away or I would do it for you and i dont know any locksmiths out there to reccomend.

Last edited:
I have had Lowe’s or HD rekey when I bought new house locks before. But for automotive, I called Baldinos and they sent me to a guy at their Manassas shop. Was very happy and impressed with his work. I was replacing a BMW handle and lock cylinder and he rekeyed it to work with the original key.

Some of the new locksets have an easy way to rekey it yourself. Quickset calls it Smartkey. So you can rekey the new lockset to the deadbolt but if you're trying to change keys for security you can just buy a front door lockset/dead bolt combo that is keyed the same.
Unfortunately i live quite far away or I would do it for you and i dont know any locksmiths out there to reccomend.
+1 for the Smartkey from Quickset. It’s fantastic, works perfectly. Saves lots of money over changing locks especially on rental properties or places with high turnover Of people with access.

But a cautionary tale about standard residential security locks… I was at a gun show many years ago and this guy had a table set up and was selling lock picking kits. His presentation was really good (and I’ve always admired locksmiths and people with the skill to pick locks) and I figured I’d buy one of his basic kits he was selling for like $15, because why not? Yeah well, I didn’t think I’d ever be able to make it look as easy as he did with his demo stuff on his table, but I got home that afternoon I decided I’d see if I could pick open my own front door with it, doing it just like he showed me a few hours ago. So I grabbed the rake tool and tension wrench out of the little pouch and put them in the key slot and did what I saw him do, and I opened my door in literally 5 seconds.

Didn‘t sleep well that night….

After that I started experimenting with ignition locks (84 Bronco in seconds), padlocks, bike locks, cylinder locks, pin locks, cabinet locks… you’d be astonished how easy most are to pick once you understand how they work.

“Locks keep honest folks honest”. Lots of truth to that.

“Lockpicking Lawyer” and “Deviant Ollam” are some of my favorite YouTube channels. Fascinating stuff to learn there.

+1 for the Smartkey from Quickset. It’s fantastic, works perfectly. Saves lots of money over changing locks especially on rental properties or places with high turnover Of people with access.

But a cautionary tale about standard residential security locks… I was at a gun show many years ago and this guy had a table set up and was selling lock picking kits. His presentation was really good (and I’ve always admired locksmiths and people with the skill to pick locks) and I figured I’d buy one of his basic kits he was selling for like $15, because why not? Yeah well, I didn’t think I’d ever be able to make it look as easy as he did with his demo stuff on his table, but I got home that afternoon I decided I’d see if I could pick open my own front door with it, doing it just like he showed me a few hours ago. So I grabbed the rake tool and tension wrench out of the little pouch and put them in the key slot and did what I saw him do, and I opened my door in literally 5 seconds.

After that I started experimenting with ignition locks (84 Bronco in seconds), padlocks, bike locks, cylinder locks, pin locks, cabinet locks… you’d be astonished how easy most are to pick once you understand how they work.

“Lockpicking Lawyer” and “Deviant Ollam” are some of my favorite YouTube channels. Fascinating stuff to learn there.
thats why i keep several large dogs

Now I am not going to sleep well tonight. Good thing my 3 large dogs sleep lightly and are very loud.

Last edited:
We just used Baldino's for my office doors its was 2 locks and 12 keys for under $400.

Side note, unless you are licensed it is illegal to own lock picks in the state of Virginia. . . . one of the 3 states of the union where it is unlawful.

That said, I may or may not possess several sets of picks and practice locks.

Back