Local gun clubs / shops?

Other_Erik

Traitor
My mind was wandering this morning, thinking about my latest purchase and my destination tonight...

I picked up another FrankenColt, a 1950 Officer's Model Special frame with a period-correct Official Police 6" bbl on it...

Tonight I'll be bringing that and a couple others to the VGCA (Virginia Gun Collector's Association) meeting at the NRA HQ building in Fairfax. 

Wondering if it'd be appropriate to start some threads on Local Gun Shops and/or Clubs to see if there's interest.  I consider myself pretty good with Google-fu and Bing and whatnot, but sooooooooooo many places are either:
a) not listed at all (censored out of results)
b) don't have any kind of inventory available online
c) fake reviews on the ones that are listed
d) cater to specialties and/or LE-only issue

What say you, Novajeepers?  I'll give an example of shop review and club review in the followup post.

reddit.com/r/vaguns did a big thread like this a few months back Here is the current updated list.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1wPCNLUYzdb6N59r07Cx5ti9fs_I&ll=37.84651118839098%2C-78.04454819453122&z=9

LGS review: Loudoun Guns (Leesburg, VA)

Loudoun Guns is a shop in the middle of downtown Leesburg.  Caters to all from the newbie to the enthusiast.  Many new and pre-owned firearms available, they don't mind letting you handle a prospective purchase, and the staff is generally quite knowledgeable.  Approx. 150 long guns in racks on the floor for perusal, and ~10 display cases of pistols, plus a good number of long guns on the wall.  Services include FFL remote purchasing, inspection and minor repairs, and general advice on builds (IE: which upper hardware and lower receiver do I want in my new AR15 build?).  Pricing reflects retail, so roughly gun show pricing plus 20-25%, more for hot-ticket items.

----------

LGS review: Sterling Arsenal (Sterling, VA)

Sterling Arsenal is a custom shop just off Sterling Blvd., in Sterling.  Audience is the enthusiast/collector audience, with an eye towards Law Enforcement and specialized (NFA tax stamped) arms.  Inventory of non-NFA items is somewhat limited, around 20-30 long guns and about as many handguns, mostly new with some high-dollar items in on consignment.  Staff is very knowledgeable in most cases, and will get a little punchy if you're not.  Services include FFL remote, inspection and safety checks, repairs from minor to major, gunsmithing, and full custom work.  Sig certified armorer onsite.  Sterling Arsenal focuses their own production on NFA tax-stamped gear, from suppressors to Law-Enforcement-Only issue select-fire rifles, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, etc...  Pricing reflects retail (gun show + 20-25%), and carries custom shop fees ranging from $40 for a simple function/safety check to sky's the limit for custom shop work and laser engraving.

---------

LGC review: Virginia Gun Collector's Association (Fairfax, VA)

VGCA is a club headquartered out of Fairfax, VA.  Monthly meetings (except twice-yearly shows in March and November) are held on the 4th Thursday of the month at the NRA HQ building conference room, and generally attract ~50 members of the ~350 member count.  VGCA stresses safety and responsible handling, and is a CMP partner organization.  From the newbie to the rabid enthusiast, VGCA welcomes all levels of collectors, and encourages knowledge transfer between members.  VGCA welcomes non-members to attend their meetings by invitation, and usually holds a swap meet for members and invitees in the hour before the meeting begins.  Membership costs $30/year and is subject to sponsorship from an existing member and approval by the membership committee for new prospects.

overhead said:
reddit.com/r/vaguns did a big thread like this a few months back Here is the current updated list.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1wPCNLUYzdb6N59r07Cx5ti9fs_I&ll=37.84651118839098%2C-78.04454819453122&z=9

As an example, they missed every pawn shop that I know of that sells guns, along with not having user-generated reviews, some detail on inventory, etc...

That's what I'm talking about.  I don't like walking into a gun shop and all they have is brand new inventory at retail or higher - I want to have a nice LGS kind of find...  Ex: Sterling Arsenal took in a collection on consignment, and I picked up a Beretta Cheetah .380 that had only had the factory target round through it for $400 - about half of the retail value.

gunsamerica.com/local-listings has a greater in-depth than Reddit's collaborative map, but it's wonky as hell and shops rarely post more than 3 or 4 of their inventory, and it's always 'brand new Glock this' and 'Sig 238 at full retail or more that'...  I'm looking for hole-in-the-wall type places where I can find a bargain, not something I can get way cheaper on the internet.

O_E

I see what you're saying here OE.  There is a good section of used firearms missing from this area.  I'm not sure if it's because everyone around here just wants to buy new or what.  I've given up on finding a good deal in person and mostly stick to va gun trader if I want something used.

sirjames186 said:
I see what you're saying here OE.  There is a good section of used firearms missing from this area.  I'm not sure if it's because everyone around here just wants to buy new or what.  I've given up on finding a good deal in person and mostly stick to va gun trader if I want something used.

You can always try pawn shops, but they're commonly hit-or-miss.  I picked up a Colt Officer's ACP (lightweight midlength 1911), and it was beyond repair - previous owner Bubba had filed the feed ramp to the point that it hung trying to feed hollow points.  Professional written opinion along with the threat of "AmEx will refund me if you refuse" got it traded up to a New Agent .45 (lightweight subcompact 1911) with Wilson Combat grips.  Just gotta know what you're looking at, what it's worth, what could be wrong with it...  I'm more inclined to go that route than anything at the gun show, if only because I know where to go back to if there's an issue.

O_E

Back