Dreaded pentastar 3.6 engine ticking noise

Hello everyone, after many trips back n forth the local parts store and many hours researching I have come to the conclusion that my Jeeps engine has become the victim of the dreaded pentastar engine ticking issue. Jeep is a 2013 rubicon joy n has about 155k and has all the symptoms n sounds like the problem. So the question is , is there any member here who does work on Jeeps to replace the rockers/lifters ,and cams on the engine? I remember a few years back there was one guy who many jeepers had work done by and he was located down in Fredericksburg. Any recommendations? Dealership is to expensive.

Doing that work while is not hard, it is intensive if you turn our own wrenches. To pull the cams you need to disassemble the front of the engine to get to the timing chains. With 155K you might think about replacing the guides and the chains. Rock Auto has complete heads for a decent price which would save some time. Also look at the oil Cooler Since you will have the engine torn down to a short block be a good time to upgrade the oil cooler housing to a metal one.
It will take a full day to tear down, and a day to put back together.

Reman heads ~$890.00 x2 ( will require new torque to yield head bolts or ARP studs.
Cam Chains and guides ~ $250
Gasket set ~ $200
Dorman Oil Cooler ~ $200

Total in parts $2430.00 ( Rock Auto)

Labor ~20 hrs To tear down the front timing cover comes off which mean everything in the front of the motor comes off, need to loosen the front oil pan bolts and then follow directions removing cams. It is very easy to snap the cams while removing them. A decent torque wrench is required as well. TTY head bolts are torqued by degrees ( tight plus 120 degrees or something like that)

I have the cam chains and guides as well as the Dorman Cooler from my take out engine and one good reman head.

Try some oil additives to help clean the oil passages and remove stiction. this might be the best way to start. then decide if you want to go in the motor or have a shop do the same. Labor is going to be your biggest bill on this.

Cheers

Just to add. If you are going to do it minimally, I did it over Christmas in my dad's driveway (Iowa, not warm) on our Grand Cherokee and it took 3 days.
There is a cheap phaser lock set you can get to avoid pulling the timing chain.
I did it for about $1100 and change. I had heard it before, I was able to catch it before any cam damage occured, so I only had gaskets, rocker arms and push rods to replace.

I remember a few years back there was one guy who many jeepers had work done by and he was located down in Fredericksburg. Any recommendations? Dealership is to expensive.
That might have been Steve, he is doing very little to zero work other than on his own Jeep these days.

Back