Death wobble?

Stopped by Dirt Nerds today (closest local shop to me). They were able to show me the play/popping in the drag link. Had a chuckle about steering stabilizer being cause or solution. Recommending replacement tie rod and drag link; will inspect ball joints and replace if needed.

Apparently there aren't many heavy duty options (excluding mopar) for replacement steering components for a JLUR without a lift. I'm not intending to lift it, just don't see any need for my use case (85% daily driver on-road use, offroad at peters mill or flagpole 4-5X/yr, and add camp heep this year).

They're checking with some mfrs to see whats available and will send me an estimate. Will keep y'all posted...

Do some research. there are verious option out there soe replaement of drag link tie rods. Check out the 7071 aluminum options.

Thanks for the update. I’m likewise going to let the dealer replace the steering stabilizer on warranty. I’m at only 10k miles. Keep me posted and I’ll do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After consultation, the Dirt Nerds guys ordered me a tie rod/drag link from Mevotech's TTX line. Has greaseable ends. Sort of an OEM+ level. Will let you know what I think after they're installed...

New steering installed last week. Vastly better steering feel, no more wobble of any kind, and I spent some part of the week seeking out my favorite potholes (i.e., those that made it wobble every time I hit them) and everything feels solid. Stoked.

Also had to replace battery this week. And now have a TPM that needs service....maybe wranglers should be classified as boats....a hole on the pavement to throw money into LOL.

Back