Cage Opinion

spnkzyj

Member 2024
VA4WDA
My poor YJ frame is getting quite a bit of twisting on the trail. I can hear it in the windshield.

I know a weld in cage is always the best, but I’m not building a full buggy here. Trying to stop some of the flex, which doesn’t help a leaf spring vehicle here (ha), but I need to save the frame I think. I’m looking at the Rockhard bolt in cage. It’s not intrusive and believe it will stiffen things up significantly. Also allows me to pull the dash out if need be, still run mostly on the street. Again, not super intrusive.

My question is more from, is there a reason NOT to do this?

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1002.htm

Do it! Would you put the front legs to the floor or at the dash? I would think the floor is the better option to stiffen the frame.

Last edited:
I would think that the rockhard sport cage would absolutely help stiffen things up, and for the price and the install effort seems quite reasonable.

Taking things up a notch - or two - GenRight does make an amazing, removable, cage for the YJ that would tie down to the tub, that is fully triangulated. The price is absolutely higher (along with the amount of work to do the install), but their attention to detail, and the quality of the materials is really second to none.

Trying to not sound too much like a GenRight fanboy, though we are in the final stages of installing our own. Sneak peek below
PXL_20240414_173731978.jpg

PXL_20240414_173722872.jpg

Definitely agree that the genright looks like the best option, but I'm not ready to do a full cage like that yet. For one, I need to keep myself in check. I have a full cage like that and I'm gonna start buggy stuff, which I want to do, I'm just not prepared for that yet, nor think I'll do it in the YJ. The bigger thing is I don't want something too intrusive as it does spend quite a bit of time on the street with kids in the back seat. The inside the cab cubic feet is a little tight as it is in the YJ. lol.

Cannot wait to see Galactica in person again when the cage is done.

I have Rockhard cage additions in my Jeep and like them. IMO anything additional is better than stock. I have the windshield bars and from the windshield back. I have fabrication collars and was going to get the behind the seat bars, but thought that was a bit much for the time being. Thankfully I haven't rolled it, but I think it would stand up better with the additions I have added.

I have the yj cage in mine. It definitely stiffened it up and would do what you're looking to have done without the additional cost of a full weld in cage. It allows you to incrementally increase too by adding more down the line.

My poor YJ frame is getting quite a bit of twisting on the trail. I can hear it in the windshield.

I know a weld in cage is always the best, but I’m not building a full buggy here. Trying to stop some of the flex, which doesn’t help a leaf spring vehicle here (ha), but I need to save the frame I think. I’m looking at the Rockhard bolt in cage. It’s not intrusive and believe it will stiffen things up significantly. Also allows me to pull the dash out if need be, still run mostly on the street. Again, not super intrusive.

My question is more from, is there a reason NOT to do this?

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1002.htm
Rob,

Have three in my close group that have this type of sport cage. One JKUR, one TJ and one CJ7. All have experienced a tighter rig, less frame flex. Install has been fairly easy in all cases.

Cheers

Back