Search results

1. Mudskipper

Interesting 3.6L Pentastar engine tear-down video… what could’ve caused all this carbon fouling?

I’m a regular viewer of this guy’s videos, they’re fascinating insights into why engines fail. A common theme always seems to be main bearing wear and/or oil/lubrication failure. Anyways, this particular video is a tear-down of a 3.6L Pentastar from a minivan. Not a Jeep, but essentially the...
  2. Mudskipper

Anyone here have any knowledge/tips/ownership experience with “C” generation (3rd Gen) Mazda Miatas?

we’re looking to get a 3rd gen (2006-2012ish) Miata (because I guess we’re not spending enough $$$ on Jeep accessories lol). Looking for an early C generation, manual transmission only, under 90k miles, ragtop. don’t know much about them other than the basics of checking out any used car, but...
  3. Mudskipper

Manual sway bar disconnects on a JK Rubicon - need some insights

So I’ve got the still-functional electronic sway bar disconnect on my JK, but after a dozen or so trips this summer, I think I’d rather just go with the traditional style manual disconnects in the future. My biggest gripe is not being able to disconnect in high range, which would be nice for...
  4. Mudskipper

Place your bets! Place your bets!!! What does this Jeep weigh! Closest guess gets a prize of some kind!

So I’m going to weigh my JK on a CAT scale tomorrow and get a definitive answer! Which is a lot more than the guesstimate I have right now. I’ve heard everything from 4,800 lbs to 7,000 lbs, which is an absolutely gigantic spread, to me. So I want a definitive answer, and I figure that might...
  5. Mudskipper

Anyone use Fluid Film as an ongoing rust preventative measure?

After having to part-out my TJ 9 years ago because it was literally breaking in half in the driveway, this time I’m going to be a lot more proactive about rust prevention in the frame rails. To that end, I’ve read a lot about rust proofing with Fluid Film, and I think I’m going to adopt this as...
  6. Mudskipper

Rubicon owners- how vulnerable is the sway bar disconnect motor unit?

Just swapped out the factory steel bumper and skid plate unit for a winch bumper. Lost the skid plate for the sway bar motor unit in the process though. I can’t do the sway bar motor rotate maneuver trick - the recessed winch tray will interfere with it. Im not crazy about the various...
  7. Mudskipper

Harbor Freight Badlands Apex 12 winch? Anyone have any real world experience with one?

I’ve always used Warn winches (except for one Ramsey I won at a raffle). I’m looking at winches, trying to decide what to get next. I’d figured I’d just get another Warn, but now I’m seeing some of the “recreational-grade“ Warns are now made in China… which is disappointing. And then there’s...
  8. Mudskipper

Does anyone have contact info for Josh and Sean Steig (Jeep techs) in Maryland? PM me?

Josh and Sean Steig had (hopefully still do!) a great at-home shop up in the Mount Airy, MD area. They did all kinds of Jeep work for a bunch of folks back in the ‘day, me included. They were absolutely Top. Men. at wrenching. But I can’t find any of my contact info for them now, and I’m in need...
  9. Mudskipper

Leaking input seal on JKUR NV-241OR transfer case?

Did all new drivetrain fluids on the Jeep today (no idea if previous owner ever did them, so it seemed like a good idea to just start everything over at 50k miles). So I did both diffs, engine oil, manual transmission fluid and t-case fluid. Noticed a “sling line” of ATF residue coating stuff...
  10. Mudskipper

Howdy from Kensington, MD!

I’m James. I’m coming back to the Jeep Life after a dozen years’ hiatus. I’ve owned various Jeeps since ’97, and used to be a member of the old Maryland Creepers club, as well an associate-member of NOVA Jeepers, nearly 20 years ago. Hoping I‘ll bump into some old acquaintances and make some new...
Back