Anyone use Fluid Film as an ongoing rust preventative measure?

Mudskipper

2nd Time Around
Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
After having to part-out my TJ 9 years ago because it was literally breaking in half in the driveway, this time I’m going to be a lot more proactive about rust prevention in the frame rails. To that end, I’ve read a lot about rust proofing with Fluid Film, and I think I’m going to adopt this as a twice-yearly regimen for the JK.

I never had a Jeep that rusted out so badly and so quickly as that TJ did. It was absolutely eaten up in a decade. Like the factory didn’t even paint-dip the frame at all, let alone galvanize it beforehand. Living near the Bay didn’t help matters, either, but still…

I ordered a couple spray cans of the stuff so I could sample it and see what it’s like, and at this point I’m convinced it’s probably worth doing a whole-chassis treatment twice a year - once in late summer while it’s still hot and the film can “wick” into voids and inside the rails and such, and then again in early spring, after the last snows, after a thorough chassis wash to get off any remaining salt and coat it for summer. That seems to be the prevailing treatment based on what I’ve read on it.

Are there any places anyone here would recommend for having it done? I’d want the whole high-power wand treatment to get up inside all the rails and inaccessible places that you can’t reach with a rattle can and red straw. Not really worried about prices, as the memory of a $10k loss on the TJ is still pretty darn fresh in my mind… and I don’t intend to repeat that.

i did a spot treatment on the new front bumper to see what the stuff is like… If you’re interested in seeing it, it’ll be at Camp Heep. But I’d like to hear any recommendations from folks who’ve been doing the Fluid Film treatments.

I read about it but I went with eastwoods inner frame treatment stuff when I did my frame swap on my Scrambler.

Have you drilled any holes in the bottom of the frame where the water tends to collect? I know this is common for CJs and TJs. What do you have now? JK? JL? Is there enough evidence out in the web to know where common water collection spots are?

Twice a year treatment? Is fluid film like a paint application or an oil? If paint, do you think you need to do it that often? I have not reapplied my coating, but it is like an amazingly hard to remove paint. But you now have me wanting to get under my Scrambler and seeing if my frame is rusting inside already.

Twice a year treatment? Is fluid film like a paint application or an oil? If paint, do you think you need to do it that often? I have not reapplied my coating, but it is like an amazingly hard to remove paint. But you now have me wanting to get under my Scrambler and seeing if my frame is rusting inside already.
FF is lanolin (Wool Wax) and requires routine re-coats to maintain the protection.

LA-216_Lanolin_USP__50204.1581876910.jpg

I’ve done the Fluid Film treatments on a couple Jeeps and have been thoroughly pleased with the results.

My 2014 Wrangler was spotless underneath when it went to its new home in PA, thanks to Fluid Film.

My son is looking for a couple more summer jobs, and would handily beat any shop price. We’re getting ready to treat a couple other family cars over the next month.

Back