Soft top not lifting up

sharleen1

New Forum User
Hey guys! Recently got a 2008 JK with a soft top and just tried to fold it up and back, but nothing. Didn’t budge, I’ve removed the windows and rear window, unlatched the clips above the sun visors, followed every tutorial but it won’t lift up when I try. It’s like it’s stuck to something but I don’t wanna force it. Recommendations for places to have it looked at? Preferably free or cheap as I don’t feel like breaking the bank. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are likely a second set of catches on the top, above the B pillar over the front driver a d passenger shoulder. I'll see if I can find a picture of them.

Attached...

Push down on the flat spot, from inside the Jeep.

Screenshot_20240421_220006_Chrome.jpg

There are likely a second set of catches on the top, above the B pillar over the front driver a d passenger shoulder. I'll see if I can find a picture of them.

Weirdly I don’t see any catches, may have broken off. Super odd, but any place recommendations that I can seek in person help would be amazing

hmm... see if this helps. Maybe I gave you guidance for the wrong year.

Try getting in the Jeep, then unlatch the hooks on both sides and push up the soft top from the front. There is a tension cable that assists in lifting the soft top up from the front, but also keeps the flaps on each side tight above the door(s). If the cable has broken, then it may take some extra effort to push up the top. Good luck!

Last edited:
Try getting in the Jeep, then unlatch the hooks on both sides and push up the soft top from the front. There is a tension cable that assists in lifting the soft top up from the front, but also keeps the flaps on each side tight above the door(s). If the cable has broken, then it may take some extra effort to push up the top. Good luck!

Anywhere you can think of that I can take my jeep to get it looked at?

Anywhere you can think of that I can take my jeep to get it looked at?

Where about are you? I usually use OCD in Stafford, but if we are close enough, I can see if I can help.

I’m in Ashburn, Stafford may be a bit of a distance

Yeah, I can see that being a bit of a drive for many. I am in the south eastern corner or Prince William, too. Hopefully another member nearby can help, or if you can get some pictures or video to share, maybe we can spot the problem.

If I recall correctly, there was something like a plastic tube/sleeve over one of the joints on each of so my 2010 JK, and I had to slide those tubes back to lock and forward to unlock the joints. If you look at the video, at 0:36 mark, you can see the locking slides were already open in this video. Do you have these? If so, try sliding them in one direction or another to see if it was release.

1713803613773.png

Yeah, I can see that being a bit of a drive for many. I am in the south eastern corner or Prince William, too. Hopefully another member nearby can help, or if you can get some pictures or video to share, maybe we can spot the problem.

If I recall correctly, there was something like a plastic tube/sleeve over one of the joints on each of so my 2010 JK, and I had to slide those tubes back to lock and forward to unlock the joints. If you look at the video, at 0:36 mark, you can see the locking slides were already open in this video. Do you have these? If so, try sliding them in one direction or another to see if it was release.

View attachment 8677

I’ll check later, but thank you for your help!

Back