Author Topic: It's here! Redneck Ram arrived!  (Read 419 times)

Online Major Ho

• Forum User
Re: It's here! Redneck Ram arrived!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 04:46:39 PM »
Tragedy has struck!
Went to Lowe’s with a utility trailer and while backing into the driveway the passenger side mount sheared off!
Shows how not good my welds were. Although the bottom one bent the entire bottom of the mount area.

Posting from my tree stand(opening day for county program. Had to take the wife’s car :D )
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:41:12 PM by Major Ho »

Offline Gogged

• Member 2021
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 11:01:31 AM »
Tragedy has struck!
Went to Lowe’s with a utility trailer and while backing into the driveway the passenger side mount sheared off!
Shows how not good my welds were. Although the bottom one bent the entire bottom of the mount area.

Posting from my tree stand(opening day for county program. Had to take the wife’s car :D )

Hahahaha sorry laughing at the tree stand part! That sucks, hopefully you can get it welded up.
Josh

V.P. Black Goat Offroad Club

2018 JLUR 3.5" Metalcloak lift, 37s

'06 TJ Sport...sold..

Online Major Ho

• Forum User
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 07:17:04 PM »
Cleaned the area up some.

The welder was acting up a bit, good ground but really jerky wire feeding.

In retrospect I think the poor welds last time were from not seeing well enough (need a better helmet) and being in an awkward position and angle.

So I was basically guessing where to weld.

The 12 setting is too bright to see anything and 13 is too dark to see the puddle. That’s with some additional light cast.

Offline Clifford04X

• Member 2021
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 08:06:15 PM »
I Ran the WTO hydro assist for a few years with my old set up. I welded tabs onto my steel diff cover and onto the drag link.  I never had a single issue with the system except it would get hot after a day of beating on it.  A cooler would have solved that issue though.  Also doing the pump mod helps bump the pressure. 

I use 9 shade on my helmets
2004 TJ Dana 60’s, 42’s

Online Major Ho

• Forum User
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »
So... I fixed it sort of. At least enough for me to take a short drive to go hunting.
I ordered a new welding helmet which does help me see better.
(It seems overly sensitive to auto darken with the LED light for additional light casting)

I cut off/down the old mounting location. Remounted:

Although I'm not happy with the remounted location as it leaves the ram REALLY close to the tie rod.

Full passenger side turn also has the lower nut rub/scratch the tie rod.
I will have to re-do it all again before a loosely planned Rausch trip in November.
I boxed in the lower mount with 1/4" plate. I think it was intended for the original steering stabilizer, then stacked/welded WTO/RNR mount onto the newly boxed in mount, if that makes sense?

A few add on thoughts, open to input or guidance:
- Previous setting was a 3 on my hobart 140. That wasn't enough penetration so I think blindly and cold welded the old brackets on hence shearing off. Switched to 4 which does appear to be better based on the color?
- I think the bottom boxed in mount, where I stacked the plates, I should probably make that all one piece and drill out the proper hole/mounting surface.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:23:46 PM by Major Ho »

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.