Author Topic: Shimmy / Death Wobble mechanic shop?? - DC / Arlington/ Reston (Virginia) area  (Read 266 times)

Offline Sunandfun

• Forum User
  • Forum User
Hi all,
Long story short, anybody know of a reliable Jeep Wrangler JK mechanic shop to diagnose and fix a persistent steering wheel shimmy or "death wobble" issue? Northern Virginia area (Reston / Chantilly / Sterling)? I simply don’t have the garage, space, tools, resources nor time to diagnose/fix myself.

Been experiencing a wheel shimmy/ death wobble, extremely susceptible in the 60 mph range, at times very extreme. Tried having one mechanic fix it…. They didn’t and I determined they were unreliable and costly (despite having 4x4 in their company name). Dealership won’t touch it. Any recommendations of reliable mechanic shops that are able to isolate the issue, whether sway bar, track bar, steering dampner, etc.

thank you,
Brian

Offline Nacho

• Club President
There are a lot of great shops around here. I think dirt nerds is up there close to you.

Offline R3

• Member 2021
Wondering why a dealer will not touch it?.
DW is a combination of things and to fix correctly can involve lots of parts.

Not sure where you are, Chaos Fab shop is a great place and will be straight up with you.

Parts that can be involved:
Drag link
Control arm bushings
Tract bar
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
Alignment
Wheel balance
Tire wear
Wheel true or out of round

Good luck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cheers

17 JKURR Daily/rock crawler/overland
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline 3VOLVE

• Member 2021 VA4WD/BRC
Hi all,
Long story short, anybody know of a reliable Jeep Wrangler JK mechanic shop to diagnose and fix a persistent steering wheel shimmy or "death wobble" issue? Northern Virginia area (Reston / Chantilly / Sterling)? I simply don’t have the garage, space, tools, resources nor time to diagnose/fix myself.

Been experiencing a wheel shimmy/ death wobble, extremely susceptible in the 60 mph range, at times very extreme. Tried having one mechanic fix it…. They didn’t and I determined they were unreliable and costly (despite having 4x4 in their company name). Dealership won’t touch it. Any recommendations of reliable mechanic shops that are able to isolate the issue, whether sway bar, track bar, steering dampner, etc.

thank you,
Brian

Bull Run 4X4, Chaos Off-road, OCD are a few off the top of my head.

Joe
Joe (3VOLVE) - US Army Veteran
2019 JLUR

Offline cwkann

• WC
  • Committee: Website
  • Winchester, VA
Hi all,

thank you,
Brian

Bull Run 4X4, Chaos Off-road, OCD are a few off the top of my head.

Joe

I think Bull Run would be close to you.  OCD may be also, not sure where they are.  Another is ORI in Winchester.  May be too much of a hike for you.
'03 Rubicon- 4.5" Clayton LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton hi steering, Anti Rocks sway bars, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff.

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
ORI in Winchester.
Power House Suspensions in Manassas.
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
Surprised no one's mentioned this already, (Though it is on R3's list) but what you're describing doesn't sound like Death wobble... It sounds like an out of balance wheel/tire.

Before you take it to one of the mentioned shops, (All of them good choices!) If you can rotate the tires yourself, and see if the problem changes (Not necessarily gets better, just seems different!).

If it changes, Take the Jeep to any good tire shop, and get those things balanced!
John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline Jeepin_Donnie

• Member 2021
Hi all,

thank you,
Brian

Bullrun 4x4 diagnosed and fixed my steering shimmy.  I highly recommend them!
Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  :)

Offline R3

• Member 2021
Surprised no one's mentioned this already, (Though it is on R3's list) but what you're describing doesn't sound like Death wobble... It sounds like an out of balance wheel/tire.

Before you take it to one of the mentioned shops, (All of them good choices!) If you can rotate the tires yourself, and see if the problem changes (Not necessarily gets better, just seems different!).

If it changes, Take the Jeep to any good tire shop, and get those things balanced!
Concur.

Still want to know why the dealer will not touch it.  This is usually due to in safe modification or modification they do not understand i.e. coil over long arm suspensions.

DW starts around 45 - 50 mph. If it is a dw....it will shake the crap out of the rig.

A vibration or shimmy is something completely different. Tires, wheels, unibearing shocks or something as simple as alignment.

Zukes idea of tire rotation will lead you to a better understanding of what needs to be fixed.

Cheers

Cheers

17 JKURR Daily/rock crawler/overland
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline jdavis2nd

• Member 2021
    • Black Goat Off-Road Club

Concur.

Still want to know why the dealer will not touch it.  This is usually due to in safe modification or modification they do not understand i.e. coil over long arm suspensions.

DW starts around 45 - 50 mph. If it is a dw....it will shake the crap out of the rig.

A vibration or shimmy is something completely different. Tires, wheels, unibearing shocks or something as simple as alignment.

Zukes idea of tire rotation will lead you to a better understanding of what needs to be fixed.

Cheers

Concur except for the speed. Have had DW on 3 different rigs and just shy of a dozen times while chasing down the cause. In my experience it can happen at lower speeds and it has always been set off by something like hitting a pothole or sunken manhole cover.

There is no mistaking death wobble once you've experienced it. I would never describe it as a shimmy or vibration. I cannot imagine having it happen at highways speeds. It is terrifying if you are not expecting it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline cwkann

• WC
  • Winchester, VA

Concur.

Cheers

Concur except for the speed. Have had DW on 3 different rigs and just shy of a dozen times while chasing down the cause. In my experience it can happen at lower speeds and it has always been set off by something like hitting a pothole or sunken manhole cover.

There is no mistaking death wobble once you've experienced it. I would never describe it as a shimmy or vibration. I cannot imagine having it happen at highways speeds. It is terrifying if you are not expecting it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is absolutely true!  But I would say it is terrifying even if you are expecting it....  (when that would be I don't know)   :razz
'03 Rubicon- 4.5" Clayton LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton hi steering, Anti Rocks sway bars, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff.

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
I couldn't even begin to tell you the number of times I've been expecting it, KNOWING I was driving a vehicle that was going to wobble and expecting it.... when it finally happens it's almost a relief after the terror of WAITING for it to happen :D
John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline cwkann

• WC
  • Winchester, VA
I couldn't even begin to tell you the number of times I've been expecting it, KNOWING I was driving a vehicle that was going to wobble and expecting it.... when it finally happens it's almost a relief after the terror of WAITING for it to happen :D

Trudat!

Offline jdavis2nd

• Member 2021
    • Black Goat Off-Road Club

Trudat!

The last time I was dealing with this on the JL there was a certain spot on the road where I could make it happen. To test if I had fixed the problem I needed to head back to that spot. I chickened out soooo many times before manning up and hitting the dip in the road with enough speed. Should have recorded myself for youtube :D.

Offline gravitywell

• Member 2021
I've had awesome experience with @BullRun4x4 and Powerhouse Suspension.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.