Author Topic: Silverback - 2015 Unlimited Rubicon  (Read 97 times)

Offline DaNoLyfeKing

• Member 2021
  • Forum User
Silverback - 2015 Unlimited Rubicon
« on: July 07, 2021, 11:24:23 PM »
I figured I'd join in on the fun and post about Silverback, my 2015 JK Rubicon. Skip the whole next paragraph if you want to skip the backstory and get straight into the build related stuff!

I've owned a mix of sport cars and SUVs, but I've never really owned a vehicle that had any other purpose than to get me from A-to-B. After having my last vehicle, a Scion FR-S, for 7 or 8 years I realized that I really dislike being super low to the ground when stuck in traffic and that I wanted something with more space and utility. I also knew that I wanted something with a manual transmission, so the idea of getting a Jeep popped into my head, but it was still a toss up amongst other SUV/trucks with a manual trans. Then I got out of the Army at the end of 2019, 2020 happened, and I realized that even though combat readiness was a huge thing for me as a soldier, as a civilian I really wasn't ready at all! So over the last year I've really dove into things like self-defense, firearms, disaster preparedness/prepping, and survival, discovering that I actually enjoy doing those things when it wasn't just for work. Then I saw a YouTube video about a guy that graduated college and traveled the country for 1.5 years living/working out of his customized JK and the decision on my next vehicle was made!   

So, I've had Silverback for a few weeks and I've got big plans for him. The end goal is to have an overland vehicle that is enjoyable to commute everyday in. Therefore, my priority of work can be summed with three things (well 4, because any soldier knows Security is always the first one!), in order of highest to lowest priority: Comfortability, Reliability, Capability. It's gotta be fun to drive, because I'll be driving it everyday and, eventually, I'll be driving it across the country. It's gotta work every time without me having to be in constant fear of tolerance stacking issues. And, finally, I want it to get me and all my stuff to wherever I want to go, roads be damned! That all being said, mod-wise, I'm starting from stock Rubicon with the exception of some LED headlights and some interior mods from the previous owner. Below is a rough plan of where I want to go (in loose order), I'll follow-up some other day with what I've done already with new pics.

• Onboard Air
  • Rear security enclosure
  • Trail Dash 3 with power switch
  • Deep cycle battery
  • Steel bumper w/winch
  • Undercarriage armor
  • 17wheels/33tires
  • Steel rear bumper with tire carrier
  • Mid or heavy duty suspension system (weight dependent); 2-2.5 inch functional lift. Advice on the timing of this mod would be appreciated, I know I need it with the all weight I'll be adding in the previous mods, but can my stock suspension handle all the previous mods for a few months or should I get suspension before adding most of that weight? I worry that if I put an appropriately heavy lift for how much I plan to have on the vehicle I'll end up with a ridiculous 4"-5" inch lift until I add more weight.
  • Dual battery setup with a dedicated switch. So many options here! Can any overlanders/campers advise?
  • Fridge
  • Heavy duty Roof rack
  • Full surround lights (for trail and camping)
  • Roof top tent

That list gets real expensive, real fast, so I'm expecting this to take me a year or two to finish. Here's what the Jeep looked like when I bought it.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 11:28:45 PM by DaNoLyfeKing »

Offline JustOnlyME

• Member 2021
  • Forum User
Re: Silverback - 2015 Unlimited Rubicon
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 12:19:56 AM »
Sounds like the same thing i'm trying to do. minus the roof top tent.

Offline Jeepin_Donnie

• Member 2021
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »
Thank you for your service!

Nice write up.  I'm looking forward to following your build!  It definitely gets expensive quickly!  Check out www.wranglerforum.com if you haven't done so.  When I owned my JKU I was addicted to that site. 

Here are a few discounts to help save some cash:

Quadratec, call in your order and tell them you're a Wrangler Forum member and you'll typically receive a 10% discount.
Northridge 4x4, place your order online and use discount code litebrite or underground.  Typically you'll receive a 10% discount with those codes as well

:cheers
Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  :)

Offline DaNoLyfeKing

• Member 2021
  • Forum User
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »
Thanks guys! Thanks especially for those discount codes, I already spend a lot of time on Quadratec  window shopping, so a 10% discount is great!

Offline Jeepin_Donnie

• Member 2021
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
Thanks guys! Thanks especially for those discount codes, I already spend a lot of time on Quadratec  window shopping, so a 10% discount is great!

You're welcome!
Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  :)

Offline wlfchld

• Forum User
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »

Quadratec also offers a 10% military discount.
2005 TJ Rubicon - in Colorado
2006 LJ Rubicon - my VA toy
1986 CJ - currently in resto process

Offline DaNoLyfeKing

• Member 2021
  • Forum User
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into that

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.