Author Topic: Rotational rear end knock  (Read 363 times)

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
Re: Rotational rear end knock
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »
Your information regarding the lemon law is pretty accurate... You aren't anywhere near being able to make a claim under it...

I'd also say you're probably dealing with an improper repair from the first occurrence right now, The average warranty tech really isn't going to get something like gear setup right, most likely they just took the carrier out and replaced the bearings without redoing the whole gear setup procedure like they should have.

I went through a similar experience with a Ram (RumbleBee) I bought in 2005, It ate the pinion bearings in 20,000 Miles... It ate the next set 12,000 miles after that. I told them I wanted a whole new axle at that point, because if the techs they had working on it were competent, then they must reason that something in the axle is not lining up right or correcct.. They begged me at that point to let them have "The Old Guy" do the setup on the next set of gears, rather than get a new axle just yet. I said OK, they had "The Old Guy" do it, and I drove the truck another 80,000 miles after that without issue (then traded it in on a JKU) The service department that did the work may even be the same one you're dealing with now...

What I would suggest is talking to your service advisor, and asking him honestly what his confidence level in the assigned technician is, and express your concern with a complex and tedious procedure being done by a less experienced technician who may not have done many gear setups before.

If you express that you will be insisting on a whole axle assembly if the complaint resurfaces, that will also help get his attention.

John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline TuffyMctuffy

• Forum User
  • Forum User
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »
Your information regarding the lemon law is pretty accurate... You aren't anywhere near being able to make a claim under it...

I'd also say you're probably dealing with an improper repair from the first occurrence right now, The average warranty tech really isn't going to get something like gear setup right, most likely they just took the carrier out and replaced the bearings without redoing the whole gear setup procedure like they should have.

I went through a similar experience with a Ram (RumbleBee) I bought in 2005, It ate the pinion bearings in 20,000 Miles... It ate the next set 12,000 miles after that. I told them I wanted a whole new axle at that point, because if the techs they had working on it were competent, then they must reason that something in the axle is not lining up right or correcct.. They begged me at that point to let them have "The Old Guy" do the setup on the next set of gears, rather than get a new axle just yet. I said OK, they had "The Old Guy" do it, and I drove the truck another 80,000 miles after that without issue (then traded it in on a JKU) The service department that did the work may even be the same one you're dealing with now...

What I would suggest is talking to your service advisor, and asking him honestly what his confidence level in the assigned technician is, and express your concern with a complex and tedious procedure being done by a less experienced technician who may not have done many gear setups before.

If you express that you will be insisting on a whole axle assembly if the complaint resurfaces, that will also help get his attention.

I too had this same concern. The tech doing the repair is the same tech who did it last time. It appears they’ve experienced an exodus of competent and qualified technicians. There aren’t any “old guys” there now that I’ve seen. The dealership is Marlow Motor Company. Always had good luck with them and they’re not modification Nazis is I come back and I’m no longer stock.

I did have a discussion with the service advisor about trying something different as in possibly replacing the whole axle so I don’t have to be back for the same repair in another 10k miles. They’re supposed to call me back with an answer if they get approval from Stellantis/FCA.

Offline zuke

• Member 2021 VA4WD
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 06:41:44 AM »

I too had this same concern. The tech doing the repair is the same tech who did it last time. It appears they’ve experienced an exodus of competent and qualified technicians. There aren’t any “old guys” there now that I’ve seen. The dealership is Marlow Motor Company. Always had good luck with them and they’re not modification Nazis is I come back and I’m no longer stock.

I did have a discussion with the service advisor about trying something different as in possibly replacing the whole axle so I don’t have to be back for the same repair in another 10k miles. They’re supposed to call me back with an answer if they get approval from Stellantis/FCA.

Well, it sounds like you've already covered everything I suggested then...

Nope, Not the same dealership I was dealing with on mine then (Lustine).

Only other thing I could think of is contacting Jeep customer service yourself (https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/), it's already too late to consider a different dealership for this occurrence, and if you're going to abandon the brand on the third failure, There's really not much point in pursuing higher remediation, the die is cast, you'll just wait to see the results.

John
2020 JT Sport S
2015 JK Rubicon
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline TuffyMctuffy

• Forum User
  • Forum User
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 05:52:39 AM »

So I have my Jeep back. As with the last repair, they are not able to tell me what the problem was/is. I was told they replaced all the internals on the first repair, but to be honest, I really didn't remember what they replaced last time. Turns out, it was just bearings and the LSD. This time they replaced  bearings, LSD, ring, pinion and everything else minus the axle seals and axle shafts. All new guts. The sound is gone. They did opt for a BG diff fluid this time around instead of the mopar fluid for the diff. I am not sure how this will affect the clutch pack inside the LSD. I'm guessing time will tell.

They told me it was a no-go on a full axle replacement this time around, but while the sound is gone, axle housing replacement may be on the table if the issue returns. As for now, the sound is gone. No one knows the cause and throwing parts at it seems to be the fix.

As aggravating as all of this is, I'm hoping more manufacturers offer 44 axle replacements. Maybe ill source different axles before dumping the Jeep. Warranty is good piece of mind, but it's awfully inconvenient to use.

Well, it sounds like you've already covered everything I suggested then...

Nope, Not the same dealership I was dealing with on mine then (Lustine).

Only other thing I could think of is contacting Jeep customer service yourself (https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/), it's already too late to consider a different dealership for this occurrence, and if you're going to abandon the brand on the third failure, There's really not much point in pursuing higher remediation, the die is cast, you'll just wait to see the results.

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.