Author Topic: 2001 Wrangler Fender Replacement Advice  (Read 108 times)

Offline jack.haefner

• Forum User
  • 2001 TJ
2001 Wrangler Fender Replacement Advice
« on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »
Hey,

I have a 2001 Wrangler with rust on the fender near the fender flare. Surface treatment (sand to bare metal, prime, paint, etc) didn't help. Was actually rusting from the inside out. I figured that at least the spread of rust will be limited to the fender itself, so I'm thinking of replacing vs. worrying too much about battling this.

I'm looking at replacing with an off-road fender similar to this: https://www.quadratec.com/p/fishbone-offroad/front-tube-fenders-no-flares-jeep-wrangler-tj

Questions:
- Using the above type of fender would require removing the turn signal and marker light. What then? Where do you put the two lights?
- I've seen a version with a small LED light (https://www.quadratec.com/p/paramount-automotive/steel-front-fender-w-mesh-insert-led-turn-signal-wrangler-tj-unlimited). Is there a VDOT minimum size for the turn signal so that it would pass inspection?

Thanks,

Jackc
Jack

Offline DaveHill

• Forum User
Re: 2001 Wrangler Fender Replacement Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:22:18 PM »
It stinks I know as I have the same rusty issues with my TJ front fenders.

I think those fenders are ok for off road but on road VA law says tires cannot stick out more than 4" unless you have a mounted light over them as far out as the tires go. Not sure how much it is enforced and may depend on where you drive. About the light solution, but Maybe some small motorcycle turn signal stalks could work with a little fabbed bracket to hold them. There are plenty of after market choices online as well that could be made to work.

with those fenders Something to think about also is that the amount of water mud and debris your tires will throw up if you drive thru any. Might want to keep your window up :)
'99 TJ Deep Amethyst

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.