Author Topic: 1999 XJ - 2.5" Lift Kit Install  (Read 425 times)

Offline UpSide

• Member 2021
1999 XJ - 2.5" Lift Kit Install
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
Hi all!

I'm pretty new to the Jeep party, but after driving a 1999 XJ for the last year I've decided to take the next step in my build plan and install a 2.5" lift. I don't have the space/tools/knowledge to do the install myself, but I'm hoping to learn from some of you and have a little fun doing it. I'm aiming to get it done in the next few weeks but have a flexible timeline.

I picked up a DPG Offroad  2.5" kit (https://dpgoffroad.com/product/2-5-ultimate-xj-old-man-emu-hybrid-kit/), adding some JKS adjustable lower control arms and some rear bar pin flag nuts since I hear they almost always shear off when removing the old shocks. Let me know if you have any thoughts on things I might be missing! If you're interested you can check out my rig thread over here - https://forum.novajeepers.com/index.php?topic=31361.0.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow club members!

*EDIT* Forgot to mention, I'm more than happy to provide as much food/drink/Novajeepers swag/etc as needed!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:25:44 PM by UpSide »

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2021
  • Arlington, VA
Re: 1999 XJ - 2.5" Lift Kit Install
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »
I don't have a workspace to offer you, but I do have sufficient tools, extractors, and penetrating oil to work on a 20 year old Jeep!  If you need another hand I'd be happy to lend one

Offline Nacho

• Trail Team
  • Club Member at Large
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 01:59:43 PM »
I have no experience working on an XJ, but happy to host my garage and a hand.  I have most tools and am happy to host, if someone who knows what they are doing wants to come by.

I am between Manassas and Woodbridge.

Offline UpSide

• Member 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 08:47:22 PM »
Thanks all!

After we installed new brake lines WNDR-XJ helped me do the rear suspension as well, so right now all that's left is the front end. I definitely don't have the experience/knowledge but if either of you would be comfortable taking a crack at it I'm more than willing to give it a shot. Just another learning opportunity, eh?  :D

Offline Nacho

• Trail Team
  • Club Member at Large
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 07:20:17 AM »
I'd be up to give it a shot.  Let me check with wife on calendar.  I know I have plans the 13-14th.  Is there a weekend that works better or worse for you.

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
The biggest issue is the rear end. The upper shock bolts make or break the day. Be prepared to drill and tap them. Also what kind of rear lift method does it include: blocks or add-a- leafs? Shackles are not preferred as the spring eye bolts can be another PIA to get out. Rear springs are known to sag and I have seen broken leafs and spring eyes.
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline ogre45

• Member 2021
  • Winchester,VA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
I think he’s already got the rear suspension done.

Sent from my mobile device
Alex
2011 JK Sport

Offline UpSide

• Member 2021
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 03:49:15 PM »
The biggest issue is the rear end. The upper shock bolts make or break the day. Be prepared to drill and tap them. Also what kind of rear lift method does it include: blocks or add-a- leafs? Shackles are not preferred as the spring eye bolts can be another PIA to get out. Rear springs are known to sag and I have seen broken leafs and spring eyes.

We did end up doing the rear end suspension replacement this last weekend, and you are right on all points - it was a bit of a PITA :lol We broke off the shock bolts and ended up having to cut off one of the spring eye bolts after it somehow got bound up with the bushing. Fortunately we had some replacement hardware on hand that we could use with the new parts, otherwise it would have been a rough day.

I'd be up to give it a shot.  Let me check with wife on calendar.  I know I have plans the 13-14th.  Is there a weekend that works better or worse for you.

Other than Sunday the 21st I am free any weekend day in March, including this weekend. Happy to work around whatever availability you have.

Offline Nacho

• Trail Team
  • Club Member at Large
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »

We did end up doing the rear end suspension replacement this last weekend, and you are right on all points - it was a bit of a PITA :lol We broke off the shock bolts and ended up having to cut off one of the spring eye bolts after it somehow got bound up with the bushing. Fortunately we had some replacement hardware on hand that we could use with the new parts, otherwise it would have been a rough day.

Other than Sunday the 21st I am free any weekend day in March, including this weekend. Happy to work around whatever availability you have.

I can do this weekend.  I would say we should shoot for Sat just in the rare case something takes longer than expected.   :lol

Again, I have never worked on an XJ, but have tools and a garage.  The one thing I know I dont have is a spring compressor.  When I did my lift on my JK I had to rent one.

Offline UpSide

• Member 2021
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:50 PM »
I can do this weekend.  I would say we should shoot for Sat just in the rare case something takes longer than expected.   :lol

Again, I have never worked on an XJ, but have tools and a garage.  The one thing I know I dont have is a spring compressor.  When I did my lift on my JK I had to rent one.

From the research I've done so far my understanding is that we should be able to get the axle low enough to move springs off/on without needing to compress them. I'm happy to rent a spring compressor just in case though, never hurts to be prepared for failure :D

Saturday works great for me - would love to have more hands too if anyone else is available to join (Irish_Wake, etc). Just let me know when/where to show up!

Offline WNDR-XJ

• Member 2021
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:40:30 AM »
I can do this weekend.  I would say we should shoot for Sat just in the rare case something takes longer than expected.   

From the research I've done so far my understanding is that we should be able to get the axle low enough to move springs off/on without needing to compress them. I'm happy to rent a spring compressor just in case though, never hurts to be prepared for failure :D

Saturday works great for me - would love to have more hands too if anyone else is available to join (Irish_Wake, etc). Just let me know when/where to show up!
You should not need a spring compressor, the axel has enough travel to remove the springs - just watch your brake lines!

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2021
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 10:19:30 AM »

Yup!  Let me know when.  I do need to sort out a fuel pump issue and this weekend is a little busy for me, but if I get that sorted by your install date, let me know where to go!

The XJ front is what I'm more familiar with, it's very similar to the TJ, I'm glad to hear you got the rear already done  :rotfl  I agree you shouldn't need compressors.  You're taking the track bar off anyways, it should droop far enough.  I do have spring compressors I can bring if you want, but I don't like using them.  Only other thing, make sure you have a 9/16" drill bit that fits in your drill for the JKS track bar install.  It's surprisingly difficult to find a bit over 1/2" with a stepdown shank for a little chuck like my DeWalt drills have
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:46:33 AM by Irish_Wake »

Offline Nacho

• Trail Team
  • Club Member at Large
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »
How about Saturday morning?  Say 9 or 10?   :wrench

Offline UpSide

• Member 2021
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 05:27:48 PM »

Sounds good to me!

Offline Nacho

• Trail Team
  • Club Member at Large
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 08:33:20 PM »

Sounds good to me!

Sent you a PM with address and contact info. If anyone else is available and wants to help out, just let me know and I will send you the info as well.

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Scott Posti (Nacho)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.