Author Topic: Overheating issues: FINAL UPDATE.  (Read 2043 times)

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
Re: Overheating issues
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2020, 09:54:40 PM »
I apologize if this question has been answered but is the engine stock?  Any mids that could be causing this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It was stock when the overheating started happening.  Now it has a Mishimoto aluminum radiator.
98 XJ

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2020, 03:06:53 PM »
Update... boroscoped inside three freeze plugs, block has some rust but otherwise very clean.  Found a cracked exhaust manifold very close and aiming towards the block.  Thinking this could explain why it overheats only at higher speeds.  Will keep ya updated!
98 XJ

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
Update:  didn’t help, still overheats.  Back to square one.
98 XJ

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2021
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »
How accurate is your gauge? What about the temp sensor??? Get hot plate and oil water and drop temp sensor into it. What does gauge read?

Dave Apker

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2020, 12:07:01 PM »
How accurate is your gauge? What about the temp sensor??? Get hot plate and oil water and drop temp sensor into it. What does gauge read?

Dave Apker
I IR’d the hoses around the t stat housing and compared to the gauge, it was right on.  I drove from Woodbridge to Springfield and it was fine... starting on the way back it started rising and rising so I turned off the AC.

Could the tranny have anything to do with this? I know it passes thru the radiator... I’m grasping at straws now...
98 XJ

Offline R3

• Member 2021
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »
So  maybe a recap of  things that have been looked at and changed is in order. This will help ground  the many  and look toward  a solution.

Cheers

17 JKURR Daily/rock crawler/overland
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
So  maybe a recap of  things that have been looked at and changed is in order. This will help ground  the many  and look toward  a solution.

Sure, here we go.

Jeep ran perfect.  Started with lack of heat, checked the situation of the coolant and it was a nasty brown gunk with lots of sludge in the overflow.  Took everything apart and cleaned the system the best I could, ran a cleaner with hose water, drained it, ran distilled water through it, drained it, refilled with coolant.  Car began to boil coolant out of the overflow in small amounts, and then it blew it all out on a drive and severely overheated.  I had nothing in the system.  This happened a few more times after this while trying to diagnose and change parts.  System was power flushed twice with BG additives at two different shops, one of which did a coolant pressure test that passed.  A cylinder leak down test has also been done and passed. Computer coolant temp matches the tstat housing.

Parts that have been changed are: Mishimoto aluminum radiator, water pump, thermostat, both rad hoses, exhaust manifold, and the cat.  Rear of hood has spacers to dissipate heat faster.

Yesterday I let it idle for about an hour, both AC on and off and the temp was normal.  As soon as I started driving without the AC I watched the temp rise up to 230.  Highest I saw was 243 with the AC on.  With low engine load and higher speeds, I can tell the engine is cooling off slightly.  As soon as I come to a stop, it starts rising. 

The mechanic that has been working with me said he didn’t see any of the spark plugs or cylinders were any cleaner than any others to suggest a blown head gasket either.  I don’t have an increased oil level.  Possibly a small amount of oil in the coolant, but I’m not positive.  My mechanic seems to think we have exhausted every possible option, and the only thing left to do is pull the head.  I tend to agree with him, especially from its overheating about 4 times,  but I’m unsure to take that step on a stab in the dark when the test results don’t agree.  Things have gotten better since replacing the cat.  Now the coolant temp just  rises, it doesn’t boil out.

I tend to believe I clogged something up when I did my flush or loosened something up that moved and clogged something.  This all stems from that.

He can’t get to it for a week with another big project, so I have some time to continue researching and getting helpful advice.  Whatcha guys think? Pull it or no?

98 XJ

Offline R3

• Member 2021
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2020, 07:22:20 AM »
So with all the easy stuff  addressed.  the Head is the next logical place to go.  cooling passages in the head may be clogged.
Cheers

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »
So with all the easy stuff  addressed.  the Head is the next logical place to go.  cooling passages in the head may be clogged.
That’s what I unfortunately think too... I’ve started trying to source a reman 0630 head should it be cracked.
98 XJ

Offline R3

• Member 2021
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »
I believe that  you are  sneaking up on  multiple issues  overcoming  each as you find them.  The problem is going in the right direction and there are still a few more things to address. Heads have cooling passages in them. if they are blocked or corroded bad enough  there is not heat transfer and the  cooling water  tends to boil around the  heat source.   Pulling the head will allow a sneak peak into the cool jackets too. 

The option then become  rebuild  or replace with reman power plant.
Cheers

Offline wbsjp

• Forum User
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2020, 04:20:04 PM »
Did you replace the radiator cap ? With at least a 16# cap . Did you replace the clutch fan with the HD unit yet ?
 Does the trans lock up as it should? Do the transmission lines feel too hot.
Check along the head with the IR heat gun for hot spots
Wayne
  AARP,NAXJA,NRA Endowment member
"the cost of Freedom isn,t Free"

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2021

Offline R3

• Member 2021
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »
Did you replace the radiator cap ? With at least a 16# cap . Did you replace the clutch fan with the HD unit yet ?

Good point brought  up  check the head with an IR  temp gun.  if temps are uniform flow is good or at least equal.

Dumb question, New radiator, it has a new cap yes?
Cheers

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »
Yes, I replaced the cap with the old radiator and the Mishimoto came with a 19.  I haven’t done the clutch because when I try to spin it it doesn’t even do a quarter turn. I honestly didn’t try out the 4x4 nor touch the lines, I did IR the pan and it was about 210, which seemed a little higher than desired but not detrimental, probably can’t cool off since it was running 243 when I checked it lol.  Level was good though.  I did also run along the head with the IR and nothing stood out.

Good point brought  up  check the head with an IR  temp gun.  if temps are uniform flow is good or at least equal.

Dumb question, New radiator, it has a new cap yes?
Yes, new cap came with it.
98 XJ

Offline XJBayne

• Forum User
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
98 XJ

Officers:

President: Scott Posti (Nacho) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: VACANT

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.