Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? -July 2020  (Read 1579 times)

Online Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
What did you do to your Jeep today? -July 2020
« on: July 01, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »
Here you go Mike. 

I took the 3a for a quick spin around the neighborhood. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:08:05 PM by Jeep Freak »
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

Offline DAMTALL

• Thread Jackin' 24/7
  • Committee: Events
  • JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today -July
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 04:23:24 PM »
I had a bad caliper on the driver side that locked up and was melting my brake pads!  I had to have it replaced, so I decided to get them both done (original calipers on my 2012 JKU), with new front rotors and pads.  Decided to get an oil change and tires rotated too.  I felt like I was at a stealership!  Over $1,000.00 later I started drinking!

I really wish lots things:  I had a garage to do oil changes, rotate tires and do other things like diff services!  I was better at shop in high school than carpentry!  I didn't hate Safford Springfield so much!  And Safford Warrenton wasn't so far away, but I don't know anyone there anymore, so I guess it doesn't matter!
Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:07:13 PM »
I felt like I was at a stealership!  Over $1,000.00 later I started drinking!

This made me laugh out loud Mike!
2004 LJ - Built to wheel, but hides in the garage :(

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Club Vice President
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »
I had a bad caliper on the driver side that locked up and was melting my brake pads!  I had to have it replaced, so I decided to get them both done (original calipers on my 2012 JKU), with new front rotors and pads.  Decided to get an oil change and tires rotated too.  I felt like I was at a stealership!  Over $1,000.00 later I started drinking!

I really wish lots things:  I had a garage to do oil changes, rotate tires and do other things like diff services!  I was better at shop in high school than carpentry!  I didn't hate Safford Springfield so much!  And Safford Warrenton wasn't so far away, but I don't know anyone there anymore, so I guess it doesn't matter!

I wish I had a garage too  :rotfl
women wheelers | IG: @offroadelites & @ladyhawkjk

"empowered women, empower women..."

Offline Jeepsnbuses

• Member 2020
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
For what it's worth, I have a garage (one car) and I quit doing things like tire rotations several years ago. It's one thing to jack up a front end and do a quick oil change, or brakes, but it's almost not worth my time and hassle to lug around tires in a one car garage.  Between my tools, golf clubs, a grill, and just general garage stuff it's a squeeze to start maneuvering wheels/tires around. It's tight with my wife's Subaru and my TJ's 30" tires. With my Silverado? Fuhhhgeddaboutit. For $60-80 I'll just pay somebody.

I will do tire rotations again one day when I upgrade to an oversized two-car, and install my two-post Bendpak.
2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam

Offline DAMTALL

• Thread Jackin' 24/7
  • Committee: Events
  • JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
For what it's worth, I have a garage (one car) and I quit doing things like tire rotations several years ago. It's one thing to jack up a front end and do a quick oil change, or brakes, but it's almost not worth my time and hassle to lug around tires in a one car garage.  Between my tools, golf clubs, a grill, and just general garage stuff it's a squeeze to start maneuvering wheels/tires around. It's tight with my wife's Subaru and my TJ's 30" tires. With my Silverado? Fuhhhgeddaboutit. For $60-80 I'll just pay somebody.

I will do tire rotations again one day when I upgrade to an oversized two-car, and install my two-post Bendpak.

This made me smile and realize that you are absolutely right!  My bad back and knees probably wouldn't allow me to rotate tires!  :?  :rotf  :bang
Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.

Offline ogre45

• Member 2020
  • Winchester,VA
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »
Doors and top off for the holiday weekend. 

Sent from my mobile device
Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando 2in lift, always in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle, Rancho 2in progressive springs

Offline sticksout

• Club Secretary
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:16:57 PM »
I got a call about my jeep today  :lol

The rotted out driverside frame was cut out and the new piece is being welded in today. Paying her a visit on Sunday with a set of new brake lines.
2001 TJ Sahara - black

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2020
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »

Safford Warrenton is now gawd awful. Total rip off stealership now for their service department. Mr Apker you have 4mm of brake pad remaining and you must have them replaced to pass inspection. We cant pass you Grand Cherokee w/o replacing the pads. Total BS minimum pad depth is 2/32s or about 1.5mm. They got reported to VA State Police.  Service manager is a  just a rip off artist. Not sure if Safford was bought out. I found Brown's to be pretty decent but have only been there once.

Mike you need to change the brake fluid every two years max. It helps extend caliper life and also you get shorter brake distances.  Also use quality brake fluid. I had a 90 3 series track day car with over 240,000 miles on it and few thousand track miles and it had the original calipers and they were still in great shape when I sold the car. Brake fluid was changed a several times a year for track days. Rotors used to glow red at the end of main straight at Summit Point's big track.

Dave Apker

Offline gravitywell

• Forum User
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today? -July 2020
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »

Safford Warrenton is now gawd awful. Total rip off stealership now for their service department. Mr Apker you have 4mm of brake pad remaining and you must have them replaced to pass inspection. We cant pass you Grand Cherokee w/o replacing the pads. Total BS minimum pad depth is 2/32s or about 1.5mm. They got reported to VA State Police.  Service manager is a  just a rip off artist. Not sure if Safford was bought out. I found Brown's to be pretty decent but have only been there once.

Mike you need to change the brake fluid every two years max. It helps extend caliper life and also you get shorter brake distances.  Also use quality brake fluid. I had a 90 3 series track day car with over 240,000 miles on it and few thousand track miles and it had the original calipers and they were still in great shape when I sold the car. Brake fluid was changed a several times a year for track days. Rotors used to glow red at the end of main straight at Summit Point's big track.

Dave Apker
I know you guys had had bad experiences with Fair Oaks Jeep, but they've never given me problems. They've done three of my annual inspections and exhaust, and never balked at anything I've done to my JK. Also, had it in a few times for warranty stuff and again never batted an eye with my mods.

Had great experiences there with my Cherokee KL and my wife's Renegade.

They worked with me after a mouse chewed up a wiring harness and the line to my washer fluid bottle

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Offline Dropkick

• Member 2020
  • Manassas, VA
    • Thinking about moving? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 07:25:18 PM »
Got an ARB twin compressor and started the wiring. Got the wiring fished through the firewall and the switch connected. Also moved the switch to my locker to the same location.

Forgot how much of a contortionist you need to be to work under a dash lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shamus

'09JKU

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:20 PM »
Turned my  Trail rig into a trail ambulance  today....  Think we saved a life today.
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Online Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
What did you do to your Jeep today? -July 2020
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 06:17:19 AM »
Turned my  Trail rig into a trail ambulance  today....  Think we saved a life today.
Story please.....

Never mind.  I just read it in the events forum.  Good Job Rob. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:22:50 AM by Gr8Dain »
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 06:05:11 PM »
Happy 4th,
Clean Jeep  inside and out.... yippie. Story to follow LOL.
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Online Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 06:14:02 PM »
I tried to make it to the Middletown parade.  Instead I overheated a little past Round Hill and pulled into Hill High to cool down and refill the coolant

Had a beer at More Better while I waited
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: Hiam Agha (BLACKHAWKJEEP)| Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.