Author Topic: Build up a J8 or Swap Axles  (Read 133 times)

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
Build up a J8 or Swap Axles
« on: June 29, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »
I have a 2017 Recon (J8 axle tube 3/8" thick) and will be needing new ball joints at the end of the year. and planning to add gussets at the same time.  I also plan to regear over the winter.  I am currently on 37 Pats and Machete beadlocks, but will be upsizing at some point to a slightly larger tire.  I am planning to do one or two trips out west next year and possibly towing a small trailer.

The question that I have is, does it make sense to build up the J8 axle or go with TF44 (0.5" thickness) for $4,200-ish?

Help me with my guesstimates please (includes shop labor):
regear front axle (parts and labor) $1300
gussets $200
ball joints $600

In the end, I may be out of pocket $1000 net after selling the J8?
Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Offline R3

• Member 2020
Re: Build up a J8 or Swap Axles
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Fair guess is the  current OEM axle will sell for  round $1500-$2000. Nothing special  if still stock complete. If you are gutting the axle  a OEM housing will not command a $2K price

I would go with Reid knuckles and RCV shafts that adds a few more bucks to your estimate.  Then you can sell the front axle complete to a D30 guy  for a simple  axle swap. 

the rest of the prices  you would have to check with a shop.. prices vary widely in the area and you get what you pay for.

If you are going bigger and looking for  deeper gearing  the D60  is the safer bet.

Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline jdavis2nd

• Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »
In my opinion it would not be worth upgrading to teraflex. Still stuck with the same weak unit bearings/wheel hubs.

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
Hub assy is less than 200 bucks though. My concern going to D60 is weight. I’m already considering full underbelly of Aluminum skids.  I will definitely not be going to 40s.  Everything seems to go exponential at that point.

I’m not an aggressive off-roader and certainly not “sending it.”  I’m perfectly content in 1st gear just crawling.

The point is I’m gonna have to do some upgrade to worn down parts and definitely regear to 5.13. Looking at 2k for just the front axle. Or buy TF44 for 4K. Sell my clean J8 for a grand. Then I’m “only” 1k over what needs to be spent regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Offline jdavis2nd

• Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 03:28:31 PM »
Hub assy is less than 200 bucks though. My concern going to D60 is weight. I’m already considering full underbelly of Aluminum skids.  I will definitely not be going to 40s.  Everything seems to go exponential at that point.

I’m not an aggressive off-roader and certainly not “sending it.”  I’m perfectly content in 1st gear just crawling.

The point is I’m gonna have to do some upgrade to worn down parts and definitely regear to 5.13. Looking at 2k for just the front axle. Or buy TF44 for 4K. Sell my clean J8 for a grand. Then I’m “only” 1k over what needs to be spent regardless.

Guess my point is, if you're not "sending" it you're not gaining anything with the TF44 over the J8.

Went through several unit bearings wheeling hard on 37s on a regular JK 44. Tube thickness was never a concern.

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
 A thought from the cheap seats.
Weight is a concern.  my  rig is 6200# in fighting trim...  the Little V6  is  working hard at high speeds.

If at a point down the road you are thinking bigger  rolling stock  then consider upgrading the supporting gear as well.  I have 50,000+ mile son my  J8  housings, with the upgrades  to axles and  joints it is pretty beefy.  Larger rolling stock and deeper gears build torque  and strain on the drive line components, add to this if I remember right you want to pull a trailer... 5.13:1 is as deep as I would go on a D44. Pinion  is the weak link  going deeper.  Everything has a trade off and each piece affects the whole.

In my rig if I want anymore performance out of it  I am looking at serious bucks to upgrade the power plant, transmission and t case, plus axles and shafts....  or  I can work within the bounds of  the design I have.  You can go just about anywhere on 37 inch rolling stock.   Sure bigger is way cooler but it comes with  big changes and big budgets.

Upgrade axle shafts and knuckles, then look at a set of Timken Uni-bearings and you should be good  for a long time. There is less than 200 hp and 200lbft of torque  to the ground on the JK after drive line losses...
Cheers

17 JKURR

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

So it’s better to invest in stronger axles, knuckles, rotors, and hub assemblies than do anything to the J8? 

Definitely want 5.13s considering the trailering I want to do cross country.

Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Offline gravitywell

• Forum User
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:43:12 PM »
What's your time frame, what gearing is your J8, how many miles on those ball joints?

I have a Willy's 2dr that would love a J8 d44. Hah

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

2018 2 Door Wrangler JK - Willys W

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 06:36:24 AM »
What's your time frame, what gearing is your J8, how many miles on those ball joints?

Haha. 38k.

Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 07:35:42 AM »
I been toying with the idea of doing a trip like this in the Wife's JKU but towing a camper and the trails there would make me want to do a Hemi swap with 8 lugs and 40's.

HighlanderCJ-7

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
I been toying with the idea of doing a trip like this in the Wife's JKU but towing a camper and the trails there would make me want to do a Hemi swap with 8 lugs and 40's.
I’m talking about just a 2k lb trailer like Off Grid or Escapod.  Anything heavier I would shy away from.

Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
Got ya you will be fine in that weight range.
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
I’m talking about just a 2k lb trailer like Off Grid or Escapod.  Anything heavier I would shy away from.

There are a lot of trailers out there  that are  in the 800 to 1500# range that depending on what you are looking for would be a great fit for family and Jeep.

Hemi swap would be great, but  needs a trans, t case and the rest of the drive line to go with....
Cheers

17 JKURR

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 03:41:14 PM »

It would be this Fall to allow for a proper break-in period if I do decide to move fwd.
Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.