Author Topic: Road trip  (Read 270 times)

Offline R3

• Member 2020
Road trip
« on: June 15, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »
Anyone up for a road trip?

Where?  Wyoming, Big Horn mountains.

When?  Next Summer mid July 2021

Duration, thinking with travel 3 weeks.

Why  am I posting this now?   For  planning purposes of course.  Get the  pennies together and leave dates straight.

I have had a running dialogue with a Jeep Group in WY.  they run the Big Horns and up in Montana too.   The terrain is much different from the east coast and then there is the altitude passes as high as 10K ft....  the beauty of the area is  beyond words. I have run the road on my motorcycle out this way and always wanted to  explore the  trails.  I connected with a club out there and  I am beginning to make some plans.  I have only one stop to make first and that is my Sons wedding 09/10 July. ( hence the mid July Trip)

Idea is a mix of camp and  lodging...  Like to hit the Morrison Trail and maybe  the Black hills.  The venue is still very much in the air.

If you have the time and are interested in exploring a different section of the country let me know.

Interested
1) R3 ( Rob) (Going)
2) ENJYLFTJ   (Interested/going)
3) mopar31898  (Interested)
4) KG  (Going)
5) Steadfastranger (Interested)
6)

Cheers
Rob
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:45:59 AM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:10:39 PM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline AUjeep

• Member 2020
Re: Road trip
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
I am trying to decide when to do my road trip out West as well.  I am working to schedule a trailer be built some time in the Spring near SLC.  I was going to do some Moab and some Grand Canyon stuff, but WY just around the block (relatively speaking).  Summer may be better as opposed to trying to cram it all into Spring Break.
Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »
A trip like this  requires time and some careful planning. Been in touch with a Jeep club out that way and they are amazingly helpful.  They have an event  toward the end of June each year they are  asking me to consider and I would if it was not for a firm commitment for 9/10 July.  More thought and planning will be required. could make the event next year and then on the back side  head to the wedding then home.

One of the trail I am planning on is the Morrison trail a real  interesting climb up the side of a mountain thru a series of switchbacks.  The  north end  of the trail  feeds into the town of Red lodge  Montana a great little wild west town with a starbucks...

The Black hills are also in that area and  from what I understand there are some kick a$$ trails there too. 

So many trails so little time....

Cheers
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 10:14:28 AM »
Morning All,
Been working identifying trails  for this trip.  One thing I can say is there are a lot of trails  available in several great areas.  A 20 to 40 mile trail run  is not unheard of and camping is encouraged. It looks like the two biggest challenges are:
1) Fuel availability
2) Altitude some spots are in excess of 10K ft.

I have been mapping trails out on Gaia software.  There are several great areas to play. Big Horn mountains  west of Sheridan Wy are the obvious place to start. there are hundreds of miles of trails there and for the most part  only the locals will run them.  Moving west from there is Cody WY. a great jumping off point to trails to include the Morison trail ( toughest trail in WY according to the description) This Black Bear  (CO) run up hill.  Head south  to the wind River range and there are  lots of trails that run up the Continental divide to amazing vistas.

It is off the beaten path, I am pretty sure there are no badge of honor trails but I can say the  views are amazing and the weather can be challenging anytime of year.   Trails are not like our east coast Rock crawling, more like unmaintained Forest service  trails.

Will be happy to share  the trails I have mapped out with all who are considering going.

I have firm commitments for 9/10 July 2021 in Cheyenne WY. I am thinking  meeting location in Sheridan WY on the 12  and explore the area trails to the 22  and begin the trek back  23 July 2021.

The run out and back is  approximately 1800 miles  that is a long  time in a Jeep on the highway but achievable.

Will continue to  post  information as I get it. if you are interested please feel free to  post or contact me direct.

Cheers
Rob B
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline drekalots

• Member 2020
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »
Man, that sounds like fun. I went to school out in Bozeman. I love that part of the state.
--
2015 JKU-S

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
Save your leave and pennies
Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
That sounds amazing. We just put 2600 miles on the JKU from Nova to Key West and back. So I can understand the drive out n back is the worst part of it. The bad lands would be a good hit on the way out / back too.  8)
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 08:05:21 AM »
 I am hoping it will be all that and a bag of chips.

Ran out there a few times on the bike. Bad lands is a worth while  side trip as is the town of Wall SD.

For me my plans are to head to Cheyenne first for my son's wedding and then meet up in the Bighorn area  for a couple weeks of exploring.

The Club out there has been very helpful connected with a couple members  and planning logistic is off and running.

Cheers

Cheers

17 JKURR

Offline R3

• Member 2020
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
 Some thoughts on  required and suggested gear  for this trip.
Required:
1) Extra Fuel.  From my many trip out west Fuel  is always a concern. towns can be 100+ miles apart  so extra go juice is  going to be a requirement  for this trip
2) Medical kit more than just a band aid or two.
3) Fire extinguisher min 1 preferred 2  The area can be very dry and a small electrical fire can turn  into a major  problem quickly.
4) Onboard tool kit with specialty tool for you rig.
5) Recovery gear  to include  kinetic and non kinetic  straps. Traction boards might be a good thought if the winter had been particularly heavy
6) comms.
7) the ability to change and repair tires on the trail.
8) Camping gear.

Weather can be  hot or cold  rain or snow  just about anytime of year in the mountains... these are real mountains with passes  close to or above 10,000 feet.  Generally the weather is  nice , dry ( read  10% humidity)  wind seems to always be blowing  and 25 MPH is a normal breeze.  Suggest  a layered approach to clothing  cool/cold mornings to warm /hot afternoons make this approach reasonable

Trail are set up with designated camping  areas.  the Idea is to utilize these  as much as possible with  commercial lodging  injected for  things like laundry or to give wives, girl friends, and significant others a break from the tent.

Looking at  Arrowhead lodge as a rally point  on the 12th  as they offer  hotel, cabin, rv and tent options. https://www.arrowheadlodgewyoming.com/

More updates and info to follow like to start a list of  folks who are interested  see first post.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:04:08 AM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.