Author Topic: Attendance? Spring Fling, Big Dogs Offroad Event  (Read 266 times)

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
Attendance? Spring Fling, Big Dogs Offroad Event
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
All,

Is anyone going to the Spring Fling, Big Dogs Offroad event? Location is at The Cove Campground...

Dates: JUN 26 AT 8 AM – JUN 28 AT 3 PM

A reminder, talked to the owners yesterday at The Cove, they are almost booked out... so if you plan on going, register in advance ASAP.

So reason I started this small thread was to possibly meet some new members from this club even if it is a simple hi and bye type of thing.
I will most probably be there by early Friday morning, and possibly on Saturday as well. I am going to be wheeling with Bull Run 4x4.

While I can't do invites to the group, I figured if some of us are going to be there, we might as well say hi

Best,
Hiam

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:32:34 AM by BLACKHAWKJEEP »
women wheelers | IG: @offroadelites & @ladyhawkjk

"empowered women, empower women..."

Online AUjeep

• Member 2020
Re: Attendance? Spring Fling, Big Dogs Offroad Event
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
Are they booked up in terms of camping or booked up as in getting close to the max limit of jeeps?
Dave

2017 JKURR
3.5” MetalCloak Lift
37” Milestars
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Skids and Winch

Online zuke

• Forum User
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »
In terms of Jeeps/Rigs, the limit was supposed to be 150. they were going back to the state to see if they could go up to 200, but I don't know if they got anything back on that or not...
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:03:31 PM »
Are they booked up in terms of camping or booked up as in getting close to the max limit of jeeps?

Camping reservations, and rigs in general.

In terms of Jeeps/Rigs, the limit was supposed to be 150. they were going back to the state to see if they could go up to 200, but I don't know if they got anything back on that or not...

Yes, they did say they were trying to work something out. Not sure either... I haven't seen a post about it, and assume if there was extra room they would announce it  :?

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 12:30:55 PM »
An update, I will be at camp 2 Friday - Saturday night.

If anyone is there and needs anything, be happy to help  :cheers

Online zuke

• Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
I'll be at my usual spot in Camp 10, starting Friday afternoon as soon as I can get there..
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline Iceman

• Forum User
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
To all who are going.... when you have a chance, give us an update on the event after you get back. I would be interested to hear how it goes with the new ownership of Big Dogs and new format.

I find it interesting that they require you to pick the level of trail you want to do ("select your line") when reserving your spot on the website. However, they do not have a breakdown of each trail line/level difficulty. Now this may not be a big deal to most/many of us, including myself, but for that person who is a potential 1st timer wanting to get to know their vehicle it would be helpful. You don't want someone signing up for a trail that puts them out of their comfort zone right off the bat and risk breaking something. Are they going to hold that person to doing the trails they signed up for?

-Clayton

Online zuke

• Forum User
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 09:45:44 AM »
It''ll be interesting for sure. I'm betting there will be a fair amount of shuffling at the driver's meetings as they straighten that out, and in the stratosphere of "10" (Buggies to super built Wranglers) there is such a variety of vehicles and capabilities that there is no way everyone in that group is gonna be happy doing the same stuff...
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
I'll absolutely post about this after the event.
I know lots of people have expressed their concerns with the new ownership, especially when they released the new guidelines.
However, when I called in to register for the event, I was told to pick an appropriate line  or difficulty and will be able to change once I reach the campground.

I definitely feel this brought a lot of confusion to newcomers, so we'll see where this test run takes us.
Glad you brought this up  :cheers

Best,
Hiam

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:34:44 PM »
To all who are going.... when you have a chance, give us an update on the event after you get back. I would be interested to hear how it goes with the new ownership of Big Dogs and new format.

I find it interesting that they require you to pick the level of trail you want to do ("select your line") when reserving your spot on the website. However, they do not have a breakdown of each trail line/level difficulty. Now this may not be a big deal to most/many of us, including myself, but for that person who is a potential 1st timer wanting to get to know their vehicle it would be helpful. You don't want someone signing up for a trail that puts them out of their comfort zone right off the bat and risk breaking something. Are they going to hold that person to doing the trails they signed up for?

-Clayton

So, this was my personal experience/conversations with those in charge at the event... picking a specific line (trail difficulty), can be changed or organized to fit someone's comfort level. However, what I was told is due to the new guidelines this test run is to see if operations are successful. Most who attended had a group they joined in advance (either planned out, or people made new friends at the Cove). We had a couple of jeepers ask to join our group, and found a newcomer lost by himself on the trails, so we asked him to join us as well. It did seem like newcomers had to either plan ahead, call, or ask questions at the "front desk" but most were set, and ready. I do not know how trail guides were appointed, but our guide had been going to the Cove for 29 years so we were covered (plus he is a friend to us all). Not sure how helpful this is, but it is the information I could get throughout the day.

Overall, a great event. Made new friends, met some people I knew from social media... good time, good folks. The nice thing is at this event, everyone mingled together. Night time was a great recovery lesson, watched couple of buggies do their thing, bonfires, food trucks, rain, and a bunch of laughter till 3 am. People accept you for who you are at the Cove, and it was great to witness different driving styles, perspectives, and personalities.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:40:40 PM by BLACKHAWKJEEP »

Offline BLACKHAWKJEEP

• Member 2020
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 12:49:23 AM »
In case anyone wants to see how the event was like, YouTube video is uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtKX6HU6ggo

Offline Iceman

• Forum User
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like the newly formatted event went on without a hitch for the most part. I am sure there will be 'bugs' to be worked out and a tweak here and there. I am definitely interested to see how the new restrictions/policies affect the overall turnout to their events over time (especially Main Jambo).

-Clayton

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.