Author Topic: Ex-Racer Turned Jeeper  (Read 103 times)

Offline spnkzss

• Forum User
Ex-Racer Turned Jeeper
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
Mornin'. Figured I've spent a couple years researching (stalking), it was time to join and introduce myself. I grew up a Chevy guy playing with a '87 Monte Carlo SS as my first car. Spent the rest of my life driving GMC trucks. In 2002 I started building and racing Honda's in SCCA Road Racing. Built 5 or 6 cars between me and some friends including a couple Enduro (13 hour) cars. I still dabble here and there but got an itch for something new and picked up my first Jeep, a lifted, fairly well maintained '94 YJ that my kids named "Mater". Was craving an "experience". The smile I get while driving a crappy handling lifted Jeep 5-speed with the doors off is the motivator. Being not my daily, and refinding my love for outdoors doing some wheelin' in Vancouver, the decisions became fairly easy. I plan to find some trails and do some camping, hiking, and paddle boarding. Mudding doesn't appeal, and I'm scared of the rabbit hole I'm sure I'll end up in with crawlin'. So something in the middle. "Practical" trail driving.

I tend to play mechanically, just to play and learn. I don't tend to do things half-assed. It may take me time, but I do my research, have learned my fair share of automobiles over the last 25 years of hands on. I have lots of "real" car guy friends and believe that things should be driven and not babied.

This may rub some of you the wrong way, but I'm not a Chrysler fan at all, so this is new to me. YJ currently is lifted 4.5" on 33s.  I recently replaced everything from the back of the motor to rear axle including SYE.  My plan is a ECGS (just makes a lot of sense) Ford 8.8 with 4.56's, discs, and OX Locker for the rear. I plan to build the D30 with Chrome moly and some 4.56s. Eventually a LS in stock form, however, I am fairly impressed by the 4.0, even with the 3.07s (they gotta go). Basically, Ford axles, GM Motor, then LineX the rest of the Chrysler in

I'll try and refrain from too many dumb questions, other than learning "trail etiquette" before I get out there.  Obviously with the state of things right now, meeting and getting out on some trails are challenging, but I hope this summer to meet some like minded Jeep guys that are willing to drive their Jeeps, can teach the etiquette, and teach me the ropes.  Going low and fast is a little different then high and slow, but some trails and camping my my kids are the ultimate goal while getting my mechanical "fix" to keep the racing withdrawals at ease.

Born, raised, in Herndon, but spent the last 20 years either Sterling/Ashburn with the hopes of Leesburg in the next few years.

Rob
'94 YJ, 4.5", 33s, SYE, stock D30/D35
Rob
'94 YJ  |  4.5"  |  33"  | SYE

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
Re: Ex-Racer Turned Jeeper
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
Welcome. :wrench
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline GOTOMAN

• Committee: Events
  • people just dont get it !!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 11:35:25 AM »
Welcome !!  :jw

Offline smileyT

• Member 2020
  • TIP your Bartender and Waitstaff!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
Welcome!

T
2000 TJ Sold
1996 Grand Cherokee lift, control arms, 2001 wj leather seats family owned since new!
2016 Jku sport 2.5 lift, Geo brackets, front, rear bumpers, winch w/ synthetic line, 37 BFG AT, aluminum paint matched fenders inner fenders, bartact seat covers, rear seat capt chair conversion, etc

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »
Welcome From Ashburn!
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

Offline sticksout

• Club Secretary
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »
 :jw
2001 TJ Sahara - black

Offline Raquel

• Member 2020
  • Forum User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 06:45:01 AM »
Welcome Rob!!!  :jw

Offline DAMTALL

• Thread Jackin' 24/7
  • Committee: Events
  • JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:06 AM »
Welcome to the club from Kingstowne!  :hi

Big Mike
Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.

Offline overhead

• Club President
  • Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »
Welcome!

My only suggestion on the build is don't build the Yj front axle. Theres a vacuum disconnect box in it and half the work you do to mediate that would be solved by taking an xj or tj dana 30 front and putting spring perches on it from a yj instead. That way if you ever wanna run a track bar, sway bar, or hydro assist ram you actually get a place to mount all those too!
The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.