Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? - March 2020  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Osiris

• Member 2020
  • Mall crawler extraordinaire
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today? - March 2020
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Just fixed a bunch of things the PO never did. Mostly  replacing rusty stuff underneath. Pulled the transfer case skid, replaced the tranny mount, made a transfer case drop out of bar stock, wire wheeled everything there, primed and painted, replaced all the hardware. Of course one of the stupid transfer case mount nutserts broke. I'll be replacing that as soon as I get the parts.

A cheap little trick I learned when putting the skids back on.  I clean and rust treat both the frame and skid. Then spray a thick coat of Flex Seal on the frame and skid, allowing them to dry for 24 hours.  When dried, I reattach the skid to the frame, using liberal anti-seize on the bolts.  The rubber coating helps keep moisture from causing more rust between the frame and skid.  I also use Flex Seal when installing rocker guards, to help with the same metal to metal problem.

Hmm, thats an interesting idea. I'll have to try that. I ground everything down as much as possible, used the rustoleum "rust reformer", then primed and painted. I went thick. When I replace that nutsert, I'll do the Flex seal too.

Thanks!
Bobby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Offline highlandercj-7

• Forum User
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
Working on everyone else's stuff but mine lately. Head replacement on 4.7L V-8 4Runner, 2.5" lift install on 460 V-8 78 Bronco. Up next is a lady's Sunfire then may get to my CJ :)

Way off-topic from Jeeps, but do are these heads known for going bad? A 4th-Gen with the 4.7 is on my short list of vehicles to replace my Silverado one day.

So the subject I am talking if Toyota above. The head issue was due to a dropped spacer that happened when it was under warranty and around 20k the intake leaked. The mechanic dropped it in the engine where it rode around for 200k miles. Then caused a issue. So this particular engine is a good one. So I can't speak for all.

Now if by 4th Gen you are talking Rams... RUN like hell!!  x10 if you want one with a 4.7L. The GM is a better truck. IMHO, if it's Gas go GM if it's Diesel: Cummins then Duramax. I hate my 4th gen Ram it's the biggest maintenance whore on the planet. Sitting at the garage now with Hemi number 3 freshly installed.
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline Jeepsnbuses

• Member 2020
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
Working on everyone else's stuff but mine lately. Head replacement on 4.7L V-8 4Runner, 2.5" lift install on 460 V-8 78 Bronco. Up next is a lady's Sunfire then may get to my CJ :)

Way off-topic from Jeeps, but do are these heads known for going bad? A 4th-Gen with the 4.7 is on my short list of vehicles to replace my Silverado one day.

So the subject I am talking if Toyota above. The head issue was due to a dropped spacer that happened when it was under warranty and around 20k the intake leaked. The mechanic dropped it in the engine where it rode around for 200k miles. Then caused a issue. So this particular engine is a good one. So I can't speak for all.

Now if by 4th Gen you are talking Rams... RUN like hell!!  x10 if you want one with a 4.7L. The GM is a better truck. IMHO, if it's Gas go GM if it's Diesel: Cummins then Duramax. I hate my 4th gen Ram it's the biggest maintenance whore on the planet. Sitting at the garage now with Hemi number 3 freshly installed.

Oh goodness no, I am 100% talking Toyota--not Chrysler. I can honestly say that's probably the first time I've ever seen any mention of a new head going onto a Toyota 4.7, which is why I asked. A testament to why I am considering them in the first place  :tu
2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam

Offline jrussbowman

• Forum User
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2020, 04:55:56 PM »
Just thanked the Fedex guy for dropping off my new track bar, looks like the weather is going to be nice enough to put it on the Jeep, Sunday

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2020, 05:15:54 PM »
I hope the weather is nice.  I just got a timing set for the donor motor and I have more parts coming. 
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

Offline Jeepsnbuses

• Member 2020
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
The Jeep has had it's top off for a couple weeks now and has been parked in the garage. Took it out for the first time in a while today since finishing the tube fenders, LEDs, wiper motor, and doing the rear control arms. I had had a pretty noticeable lurch whenever I came off the throttle which I figured was a U-joint somewhere, but it turns out it was def the rear control arms. When I replaced them they didn't look terrible, but the newer JKS arms/bushings did the trick and the lurch is totally gone. Must have been the rear shifting around a little. With those and the spacers, it actually drives pretty nice!
2002 TJ Sport

- Adam

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »
The Jeep has had it's top off for a couple weeks now and has been parked in the garage. Took it out for the first time in a while today since finishing the tube fenders, LEDs, wiper motor, and doing the rear control arms. I had had a pretty noticeable lurch whenever I came off the throttle which I figured was a U-joint somewhere, but it turns out it was def the rear control arms. When I replaced them they didn't look terrible, but the newer JKS arms/bushings did the trick and the lurch is totally gone. Must have been the rear shifting around a little. With those and the spacers, it actually drives pretty nice!
That’s awesome Adam. Glad those arms worked out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
5" total lift (3.75" SL and 1.25"BL)
35's Cooper SST Pro's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline chromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »
I started some Frame restoration and I went ahead and did the sway bar and the front of the frame:

Flap disk and paint. Now to let the paint dry and re-install.

Sarkis

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline mopar31898

• Member 2020
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »
I started some Frame restoration and I went ahead and did the sway bar and the front of the frame:

Flap disk and paint. Now to let the paint dry and re-install.

Sarkis

Nice. Now I need to get after it on mine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
Got everything back together is she’s looking fresh:

Sarkis

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline Jeepsnbuses

• Member 2020
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2020, 08:04:16 AM »
Frame cleaning and resealing is on my quarantine to-do list as well. Looking good!
2002 TJ Sport

- Adam

Offline Osiris

• Member 2020
  • Mall crawler extraordinaire
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2020, 08:09:17 AM »
Got everything back together is she’s looking fresh:

Sarkis

The plight of the TJ lol

Have you cleaned out the frame interior? I was looking at tips on wranglertjforum and will be doing that soon too.
Bobby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2020, 08:36:08 AM »

The plight of the TJ lol

Have you cleaned out the frame interior? I was looking at tips on wranglertjforum and will be doing that soon too.
[/quote]
Hey Bobby,

Yes, last year I cleaned out the frame completely and sprayed it with Fluid Film.  Luckily, my frame interior wasn't to bad.  I made a garden hose attachment for my shop vac and went to work.  I removed the larger chunks with a retractable magnet pen.  The drivers side was worse than the passenger side weirdly. I had already drilled drain holes so I'm good for now and will re-apply Fluid Film as needed.

Sarkis
Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2020
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »
Frame resto continuation. Got the driver rear flap disked and almost ready for paint:

Still got to get some nooks and crannies cleaned up.

Sarkis

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
35's Cooper SST Pro's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.