Author Topic: Vibration & wobble question  (Read 98 times)

Offline MLRSJEP

• Forum User
Vibration & wobble question
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
Hey all. Question & opinions?

2005 X with 275/65/18s. Been on for 3 months and no issues at all. This morning, I hit 40mph and all of a sudden starts "wobbling" significantly....hate to say the word, cause I don't want it to be true.

Question is: would the wobble come on overnight? And dramatically? Tires were balanced when installed. Again, zero issues except for a rougher as anticipated for larger non AT tread.

Thanks
Clark

Offline highlandercj-7

• Member 2019
Re: Vibration & wobble question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
Several things: Ball joints, u-joints, weight fell off, look for busted belts on the tires.

Can you tell if it's front or rear?
HighlanderCJ-7

Offline RFH_98TJ

• Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
Cold weather - look for low tire pressure too.
98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank

Offline R3

• Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 01:42:45 PM »
Hey all. Question & opinions?

2005 X with 275/65/18s. Been on for 3 months and no issues at all. This morning, I hit 40mph and all of a sudden starts "wobbling" significantly....hate to say the word, cause I don't want it to be true.

Question is: would the wobble come on overnight? And dramatically? Tires were balanced when installed. Again, zero issues except for a rougher as anticipated for larger non AT tread.

Thanks
Clark

Loose suspension components and or rolling stock

You could have a tire out of round and:

Loose or worn out  Track bar
Loose or worn out  Drag link
Loose or worn out  tie rod ends
Ball Joint  with too much play
Control arm(s) loose  or worn out bushings.

A tire out of round  or significantly flatspotted  can start  the DW, the Loose or wornout suspension components cause the issue.  I fought this with my new 2017 JKURR. Had a out of round tire that started the occilations in the front end. Bad ball joints, track bar ends, drag link and Tie rod all contributed to the issue.  Even if  the track bar end are ggood the bar it self will flex under load. if an occilation starts the track bar , drag link and tie rod will all flex and contribute to  the occilation getting worse.  For a 2005 it is a good bet you have some if not all f these issue goign on to one degree or another.   A flat spotted tire or out of round  would trigger the event.  Balance will have something to do with it  but historicly under 50/55 MPH  unless the tire is way out of balance  you will nto feel much  of a vibration.  You could have hit a pothole and broke a belt in the tire thsi will cause significant wobble  and you should be able to feel that  as soon as you start rolling. if the  wobble  is not present  from  the get go and comes on suddenly at or around 40/45mph you have worn or out of tollerance suspension joints.

From what you are describing  you are expirenceing a Death wobble.

Fix is to replace worn suspension components.

Suggest you look at  upgrading ball joints to a serviceable type ( Yep they are a bit expensive)
Also suggest that you go to a forged track bar front and rear.
After that  there are a host of modification to help stiffen up the steering gear to get rid of flex under load.

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:31:06 PM by R3 »
Cheers

17 JKURR
2013 Victory XCT hot rod.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Offline cwkann

• WC, VRC, EC
  • Committee: Trail Rides
  • Winchester, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
Unfortunately it does sound like death wobble.  Hitting a pothole or bump as stated before can immediately throw you into wobble.  Alignment can also be a culprit.  My suggestion would be start at the cheap, easy stuff first and move on from there.  Don't start replacing the entire front end just because someone said control arm, or track bar.  They can certainly be the reason, but it is much less expensive to move from cheapest to most expensive unless something is glaring when you get it looked at.  Good luck with it!  It is extremely frustrating. 
'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...

Offline sjalkian

• Member 2019
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
Start with tire balancing.  Even before that, try putting the rear tires on the front and test drive and see if the issue still persists.  TJs need near perfect tire balance.  If its still there after checking full tire balance, then go with the suggested above.
Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
5" total lift (3.75" SL and 1.25"BL)
33's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline cromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch

Offline Jeepsnbuses

• Member 2019
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
Cold weather - look for low tire pressure too.

Piggybacking off of Frank, it could also be ice. If some road water or slush was sloshed up somewhere and sat overnight, it could be frozen and thrown off your balance. Happened to me in my Silverado a couple years ago. Ran it through a car wash and that fixed it.
2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam

Offline MLRSJEP

• Forum User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'll work on some of these. Hasn't done it subsequently. Damn Jeep.

Offline Irish_Wake

• Member 2019
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 10:42:59 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'll work on some of these. Hasn't done it subsequently. Damn Jeep.
How convenient.  I know the drill well, seems problems always persist until you try and fix them  :|
2000 TJ Sport
~4" total lift
33x12.5R15
Truetrac D30/Locked D44

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Kronthal (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep) | Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.