Author Topic: Traffic, camera, laser system on liberia Avenue/burger king?  (Read 558 times)

Offline I6CJ7

• Forum User
Traffic, camera, laser system on liberia Avenue/burger king?
« on: December 09, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
Was driving by the burger King on Liberia just now and saw 3 workers with "conduent" on their vest putting up some kind of big camera/plate reader/laser looking thing in the median between burger King and the nissan dealer.. No clue what it actually is. But I haven't seen anything like it.. Had 2 big side by side lenses 8 to 9ft tall. Large base, and large camera. Aimed toward rt 28

Offline zuke

• Member 2020
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2020
Re: Traffic, camera, laser system on liberia Avenue/burger king?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
Get ready for revenue/tax increase.  Surprised there wasn't more opposition from the Hispanic community about these fines that hurt them the most.

So when do you get nailed for a red light violation in VA by camera? Might be time to stick some mud on the license plate front and rear. Or just simply change the angle of the plates

Dave Apker

Offline Jammer

• Forum User
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 10:58:19 AM »
Guess I'm in the minority here.  I welcome red light camera's.  So sick and tired of seeing people blatantly running them.  And I don't mean the light just turned yellow type of thing.  If you're behind the line when it it's red, you had plenty of opportunity to stop.   Drive past an accident scene where a tbone was involved and maybe that will sway peoples minds.  but then again...doubt it.

Offline zuke

• Member 2020
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
Guess I'm in the minority here.  I welcome red light camera's.  So sick and tired of seeing people blatantly running them.  And I don't mean the light just turned yellow type of thing.  If you're behind the line when it it's red, you had plenty of opportunity to stop.   Drive past an accident scene where a tbone was involved and maybe that will sway peoples minds.  but then again...doubt it.

Oh, I'm definitely in favor of harsh punishment for running red lights. I'd prefer live enforcement myself, I think it's more effective than a $50 ticket without ever having to look another human in the eye, but the camera has an advantage in being there 24/7. But the big problem with cameras is jurisdictions tend to view them more as a source of revenue than a safety measure, and red light cameras are just the first step in all kinds of automated, revenue generating enforcement. While, as stated, I don't particularly mind Red Light cameras, I hate speed cameras, and I don't have a logical explanation for why I feel that way.
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline cwkann

• WC, VRC, EC
  • Committee: Trail Rides
  • Winchester, VA
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »

Oh, I'm definitely in favor of harsh punishment for running red lights. I'd prefer live enforcement myself, I think it's more effective than a $50 ticket without ever having to look another human in the eye, but the camera has an advantage in being there 24/7. But the big problem with cameras is jurisdictions tend to view them more as a source of revenue than a safety measure, and red light cameras are just the first step in all kinds of automated, revenue generating enforcement. While, as stated, I don't particularly mind Red Light cameras, I hate speed cameras, and I don't have a logical explanation for why I feel that way.

Probably because it doesn't really deter the action as much as immediate reinforcement.  If you see a cop car sitting there, get pulled over and ticketed, it is MUCH better at deterring you at that location next time.  Kind of like if a dog goes to the bathroom in your house, coming home and getting them in trouble three hours later does nothing.  they have no idea what is going on.
'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2020
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:45:48 AM »

A camera ticket be it for speeding, running a red light, running a stop sign etc for a lot of folks is the cost of doing business. It doesn't effect your insurance rates.  Its just a tax and a joke kind of like VA's law saying 80mph+ is Reckless Driving. 

So what is local LE doing? I am guessing raising tax revenue in other ways.  Actual law enforcement is a just other duty as assigned.

Dave Apker

Offline zuke

• Member 2020
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »

Probably because it doesn't really deter the action as much as immediate reinforcement.  If you see a cop car sitting there, get pulled over and ticketed, it is MUCH better at deterring you at that location next time.  Kind of like if a dog goes to the bathroom in your house, coming home and getting them in trouble three hours later does nothing.  they have no idea what is going on.

I don't think that's why I hate speed cameras so much, though I do get what you're saying. I think it's because speed cameras are much less about safety than a red light camera is. Oh surely a speed camera in a residential neighborhood, or an active construction zone, could be about safety. But when I see one in a construction zone with no people working, or on a rural two lane with a stupid slow speed limit, that's about taxing people for getting places quicker, not about safety.
John
2020 JT Sport S
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ HC Wheeler
1998 TJ SE

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2020
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »

I don't think that's why I hate speed cameras so much, though I do get what you're saying. I think it's because speed cameras are much less about safety than a red light camera is. Oh surely a speed camera in a residential neighborhood, or an active construction zone, could be about safety. But when I see one in a construction zone with no people working, or on a rural two lane with a stupid slow speed limit, that's about taxing people for getting places quicker, not about safety.

Back a couple Saturdays on Elk Run Rd between Catlett and Bristersburg  Fauquier County had one of those  Message Boards with a radar to give you your speed.  A political donor or other big shot must live in the area. Board  was located at half way down Elk Run. Just remember speed never kills but driving too fast conditions does.

Dave Apker

Offline Search

• Forum User
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 05:12:37 AM »
Guess I'm in the minority here.  I welcome red light camera's.  So sick and tired of seeing people blatantly running them.  And I don't mean the light just turned yellow type of thing.  If you're behind the line when it it's red, you had plenty of opportunity to stop.   Drive past an accident scene where a tbone was involved and maybe that will sway peoples minds.  but then again...doubt it

Red light cameras I don’t mind, but I can’t stand the radar cameras. The amount of tests that a radar/lidar operator needs to perform before/after shift, and the violator vehicle tracking history they need to testify to in order to get a conviction is literally assumed with a camera, and I haven’t heard of any certification or operators of those cameras appearing in court to produce anything that says the equipment is calibrated properly.

A camera ticket be it for speeding, running a red light, running a stop sign etc for a lot of folks is the cost of doing business. It doesn't effect your insurance rates.  Its just a tax and a joke kind of like VA's law saying 80mph+ is Reckless Driving. 

So what is local LE doing? I am guessing raising tax revenue in other ways.  Actual law enforcement is a just other duty as assigned.

I agree with you that the radar camera tickets are about revenue, but the stop light ones are deterrence when it’s clearly posted prior to approaching the intersection.

And I shouldn’t ask this, but other duties as assigned?? Go on a ride along with a patrol officer for 10 hours and see a few domestics, shootings, horrific accident scenes.....
Jeepless at the moment - Adulting is no fun

Offline ///BHRpowered

• Member 2020
  • Renegade Super Villan
    • Mazdaworld.net
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
1. Red light camera's don't stop people from running lights.

2. I believe a bigger issue is growing. Liberia ave has lights intentional timed so you get stuck at every single one. It's infuriating to leave one light and then see the next one a few hundred feet turn red. I'v lived on Lake Jackson for 9 years and can count on 1 hand the number of times I'v made it through the lights. Daily you see people's road rage building or people wildly speeding trying to beat them. That 1 mile stretch can take up to 10 mins to get through with no traffic.
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann

Officers:

President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Vice President: VACANT | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.