Author Topic: Steel or Syn cable?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline ///BHRpowered

• Member 2020
  • Renegade Super Villan
    • Mazdaworld.net
Steel or Syn cable?
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
New stealth mount winch setups sealed the deal, getting a 2014 grand cherokee overland summit.

What are the pro's and cons to different cables?? I don't want the steal cable rusting but worry about a synthetic line getting moldy/rotting. Is it worth the extra 100 dollars?
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann

Offline overhead

• Club President
  • Crap, someone call Trevor.
Re: Steel or Syn cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
Go syn line, I won't go back.

Lighter, it floats, safer on energy dispersion because it drops down when it breaks instead of flying back at your new rig, easier to run, easier to quickly store if you expect to be using it later in the day and wanna wrap it around your bumper. all around it's worth it ease of use. adding in the additional safety matters it's the best upgrade I did to my winch.
The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.

Offline dubbydoo

• Forum User
  • Richmond VA 91 Comanche
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
draw back to the synthetic is if you keep it in the elements it wont last long water/sand/light kill them

Offline wbsjp

• Forum User
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
draw back to the synthetic is if you keep it in the elements it wont last long water/sand/light kill them

And yet, this rope came from the Fishing/Marine industry ? Go for it. Weight alone will seal the deal.Keep it covered until needed.
Wayne
  AARP,NAXJA,NRA Endowment member
"the cost of Freedom isn,t Free"

Offline unl1mtd

• BOD
  • King George, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
I've never used anything but the steel cable. I think if you understand it and how to be safe with it, then it's a perfectly viable option. You got to respect all safety issues with winching no matter what equipment you have. Plus replacement cables can be had on the cheap with everyone else 'upgrading' to synthetic.
unl1mtd@novajeepers.com   

Offline dubbydoo

• Forum User
  • Richmond VA 91 Comanche
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
Be a real man and pull STEEL!!!!

Offline ///BHRpowered

• Member 2020
  • Renegade Super Villan
    • Mazdaworld.net
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »

And yet, this rope came from the Fishing/Marine industry ? Go for it. Weight alone will seal the deal.Keep it covered until needed.

The issue is there will be no way to truly cover it. The entire winch sets behind the stock bumper enclosed in a new bolt-in subframe mount. Water/snow/road salt/debris can still get down on to it through the main grill. Not a huge issue to pull and clean after a day of use, but if the steel cable will rust anyway its a losing battle.

this is the setup.

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman

Offline lynskynbnd

• Forum User
  • Remington, Virginia
    • Off-Camber Crawlers
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
Many of the synthetic cable are UV stable now. For weight and safety go synthetic. for cost and durability go steel.
Happy Motoring,
Bryan Folts
Off-Camber Crawlers 2019 Ex-President
'87   □|||||||□
'04   O|||||||O

Offline rocknrubi04

• Forum User
  • TJ Rubicons Rule
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Go with steel. Know how to use it. I've never seen steel break. I've seen syn. Break 2 times and read on many more. Of coarse when syn was broke it was the users fault I'm sure
Brett

Offline Runner

• Forum User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »
UV won't be an issue in your mount location.  If you are worried about dirt, simply  unspool it periodically and rinse with water. Consider it routine maintenance, which you should do to steel cable as well, for inspection purposes. Biggest issue with synthetic line is generally misuse, typically involving abrasion. In either case both lines should be replaced periodically.  Personally,  I've used synthetic lines on my XJ, JKU, TJ, and LJ.  I wouldn't consider going back, but as always, do your research and make your own choice!
2004 LJ - Built to wheel, but hides in the garage :(

Offline dave2002ti

• Member 2020
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
Weight is also a consideration.  I know a few folks who have added winches to their WK2s but they also added the lift kits too. Not sure how the weight of the winch and cable effect the front suspension since a 2014 Overland Summit has a very basic  air suspension.  You might get more rake.

Only time I got stuck in mud in my 2012 WK2 was at herding trial. My friend went and got his tractor and pulled me out since I have the ORA I package with the front tow hooks.  With all the rain, ice, and melting snow and even with my winter tires I just park my WK2 and walk with my collie in 2 weeks when we have to work a herding trial there.

Stock Michelin Latitudes with 18" wheels do okay on crummy farm roads and across fields.  I wouldnt want to make same trips on the 20" wheels and Goodyears.

Dave Apker

Offline ///BHRpowered

• Member 2020
  • Renegade Super Villan
    • Mazdaworld.net
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
Yeah...I refuse to call it a WK2. At 55k I'm writing WL on the sticker.

Weight shouldn't be a big issue, looking at a Warm V8000S I believe. With a steel cable it really wouldn't be much more then the brush guard on my WJ. Air suspension works off height sensors so in theory it should auto-correct - atleast it does in the rear for cargo weight.

Really love the stealth design of it all, but honestly I'd need a winch maybe 1-2 times a year. Durability is more important then price or weight

Offline cwkann

• WC, VRC, EC
  • Committee: Trail Rides
  • Winchester, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
Personally I would stay with steel.  IMO easier, not as much upkeep and safe if you know what you are doing with it.
'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...

Offline JEEPIN J

• Forum User
  • Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
Really love the stealth design of it all, but honestly I'd need a winch maybe 1-2 times a year. Durability is more important then price or weight
Think this answers your question right here. If you don't have a need to spend more for the synthetic, the steel cable will work well for you.
97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF

Offline bremz8

• Forum User
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
The only advantage steel has is the price. Only old timers (who cant keep up) think steel is "better".

Officers:

President: Stephen Clough (overhead) | Vice President: Donnie Herrity (Jeepin_Donnie) | Secretary: Robyn Alley (sticksout)
Treasurer: Danille Wilson (TJ Girl) | Member-at-large: Brit Nora (rebel4sale)

Board of Directors:
Dave Plummer (HAWAIICJ) | Sean McCready (Unl1mtd)
Jeff Wilson (jwilson2598) | Aaron Thomson (Jeep Freak) | Dain Wilson (Gr8Dain)

Founding Fathers:
 Jason Markvart (LNDSRK)  | Steve Scott (Islander90) | Josh Storer (Jastor)| Mike Finelli (BiggMike) | John Harper (Opie) | Andrew Harvin (HarvinJeep)

Disclaimer Statement:
All images from NoVaJeepers.net are exclusive to the Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association. Any reproduction of exclusive Northern Virginia
Jeepers Association material is strictly prohibited without written
consent of the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. Jeep,
Wrangler, Cherokee, Commander, Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Unlimited,
Rubicon, SRT, HEMI and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Chrysler LLC. NoVaJeepers.com, Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
is not in any way associated with the Chrysler LLC.