Added to Calendar: 05-05-22, 05-06-22, 05-07-22, 05-08-22, 05-09-22, 05-10-22

R3

Offroad Committee Lead
Trail Instructor
Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
Looking at a run to Windrock this spring. Dates 05-10 May 2022

Looking at transit on a Thursday and return on a Tuesday. This gives us 4 days of wheeling the 70,000+ AC park.

Camping at Half moon Campground. We will have a group site charge for each tent is $8.00 per night.

Commited ( or should be 🤪)
1) R3🏕️
2)Talley ho🏕️
4) Rattletrap55🏕️
5) Fearless:eek: broke.....
6) BluJT🏚️ moving....
7) RVAWJ🏕️
8) Just Only Me
9) DaNoLyfeKing (Camping?)???UNKN

Mandatory gear:
1) Good well equipped Personal First Aid Kit to cover you rig ( read number of people)
2) Fire extinguisher. Sounds dumb with well prepared rigs but I have had electrical shorts happen and seen one New Rig burn to the ground because no one had a fire bottle. Please have it accessible as well.
3) Comms. The Club uses GMRS, if your choice is hand held over base unit bring an extra battery. I run both VHF and UHF analogue and digital.
4) Recovery gear. see thread https://forum.novajeepers.com/index.php?threads/windrock-5-thru-10-may.33276/post-346565
5) Tool kit for your rig with any particular tools for non standard accessories you have.
6) Spare tire and wheel or a way to repair a flat or slashed sidewall on the trail.

Leads:
Whom ever is setting up a recovery or spotting a rig is the lead. Work thru them and with them. .

Trails conditions:
Wet in the spring a expected. This means the east Tennessee dirt is going to be slick. the temptation to just put more foot in it may very well lead to a broken axle, hub, U joint etc. But make sure you get it on video (lol) this will end the day for the group or at least part of the group. Keep that in mind.

Spare parts:
The #1 thing I can think of is U joints and U bolts for drive shafts. After that Tire repair kit. No need to carry the garage with you.

Trail runs:
This park is enormous! 300+ miles of trails and 70,000+ac of land. Compare that to Rausch creek with 3500 ac that we are used to running. I am good with not leading every trail run and if we want to run separate groups I am good with that as well as long as there is a two rig minimum.

I am good with running a long days on the trails or even if conditions warrant into the night. Trails take on a whole new look at night. The Campground is 8+ miles from the park general store. We do not have to enter the park at the general store, there are trailheads within a mile or two of camp. near by trail heads are 28, 29 and 30 with a short drive to Trail 16. Trail 51 is a bit of a road hike.

So another twist on trail runs, thinking Saturday/Sunday night or overnight trail run. Friday would be a good day to get our bearings. Then for the run Saturday, make it a trail side overnight to return back to base camp Sunday. My plan would be to leave the base camp set up and bring an additional overnight tent.

I have a map thanks to Zuke that we can chat over coffee or diner one night to get a better idea of where we would like to run.

Nemo Tunnel, short 30 minute drive

https://goo.gl/maps/cT1XAMfSfZyfDrjq7

In Camp:
Like to have a camp fire for all to enjoy. each is responsible for their own menu. I am happy to share my cooking gear or if someone brings a grate to use over the fire that would be great. A Quiet genset is allowed in camp according to the campground owner. So If you need a genset maybe one of the small Honda units. For those who are trailering. The campground owner would like to keep trailers on "the hard" Rigs are allow at the tent sites.

Drink:
We are all adults. Not interested in hold my beer moments on the trails. In camp we are adults.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Cookie,
Long distance trips require some advanced planning. That is why I am posting this now. You can grease whatever skids are necessary to improve you chances of success.

Love to have you along.

Cheers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

This is a definite maybe probably for me.  :lol

Wont really know until once we are through all the holiday season stuff and into the new year if its actually an option yet.
Found some grease in the garage so ima get to it.

Sounds awesome, Rob.  We'd love to tentatively join.  Our participation will be contingent on the schedule for our Galactica build though and what weekends we'll have to dedicate to it, which is not firmed up yet.  Hopefully we will know by early February.

Reactions: R3
Will firm up dates after the new year.. glad to have the Conestoga wagons along.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm going to try and plan a trip to folks house around this trip so I can at least come for a day or two to run some trails with everyone. I wouldn't put me as a member of the trip but I will be following the thread pretty closely!

Reactions: R3
Good morning all,
Did some initial looking on the Windrock website for a cabin.  cost for 10  rigs and 4 day is cheap about $270 per rig ( 1 or 2 person) problem is  the large cabins seem to be filled  looking out to mid April to Mid May.  Will keep tracking this  but might be a camping trip or Air BnB ( not sure how that works).

Cheers
Rob

Huh, it does seem to be booking up fast on property. Even the RV spots are mostly full.

Looks like there are several nearby campgrounds, and vacation rentals places though. For example: https://www.vacationcabinstennessee.com

Fearless said:
Huh, it does seem to be booking up fast on property. Even the RV spots are mostly full.

Looks like there are several nearby campgrounds, and vacation rentals places though. For example: https://www.vacationcabinstennessee.com

Looks like this might turn into a camping trip. The  cabin idea might be hard to swing on property.  There are several campgrounds near by all offering access to the trail system.

Fearless said:
I kinda feel like this is an excuse to make a camping trailer…

Be happy to show you the one I built if you need some ideas.

Cheers.

You showed me your pictures last weekend, but I'll whip up a CAD file and get your advice on it.

So lets  think about weekends in April to 1 weekend in May for timing of this run.

I am clear  all April so  Friday thru Monday with Thursday and Tuesday as travel days are good here.  Once we can get a date nailed down we can look at campgrounds and see if we can get a block of reservations  and go from there.

Cheers
All

Merry Christmas! :cold

Back