What did you do to your Jeep today? - February 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepped the JT to install Next Venture aluminum belly skids today. Laid out the UMHW layered panels, painted the mounting brackets, removed the factory skids (PIA!), and scrubbed and power washed the undercarriage. Letting everything dry overnight then will touch up the frame before installing the new skids.

F58DEA23-3F28-453C-AEC0-960019B0F54E.jpeg
CED4EA83-2649-479A-97F3-C091084ED52C.jpeg
EACB3D5A-00F4-4008-A5F0-9A4B3021EEBD.jpeg

Here’s a pic of everything that came off today. ~60lbs of steel.

5F1EC916-F318-4F0A-BC70-EED95D384FEF.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 4.17.12 PM.png

Installed Bullet Point phone holder for JK, single ball, metal series. Mounts with the existing screw in cubby and has adhesive strips in two areas that need to set for 24 hours. I cut out rubber insert so that it could go back in around the new mount. Pretty solid and puts it within reach.

I've been fairly busy and behind on posting. But did manage to do some Jeep stuff...a couple weeks ago my friend and I took the ORC Winching course at AOAA. Very instructive and a lot of good scenarios. And of course as part of it I learned how to use what I have and tensioned the line. Seen here was being about as far away as possible from a tree and having to use everything in my recovery bag:

IMG_5674.jpeg

The next day my friend in the white GX470 and I explored AOAA. This is my first time exploring with just a map and no one more experienced guiding us. It was fun but we did run into a snag when he broke something going up a blue and lost all power to his front wheels. We were able to reverse him down, but without 4wd he got stuck on some rocks and I had to do my first real-life recovery. I believe this is after giving him a little tug:

IMG_5705.jpeg

After the course I decided I wanted to go with more closed/soft system for my synthetic line, so picked up another soft shackle and a lightly used Flatlink to replace my hook:

IMG_5742.jpeg

So I did a little thing today. When I got the cage, the mirror was connected directly to the bar. I liked it there rather than on the windshield, so I have kep it there. But with the top on, I can’t see as far behind me because I have to aim it down some to see out through the back window. So today I used some scrap aluminum bar I had to make an extension. It vibrates a little but only at some rpms. Less than it would on the windshield with the top off.
CFDF98B1-22DA-4C18-8577-778CFA76B2FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Been sick the past couple of days so didn't get a chance to do any big projects I have lying around. But it did give me a chance to do a few small things today, first being changing up the color of my Asfir diff skid before I install it later.

Newt was installing a second set of MOLLE bags I had bought for Bartact car seat covers. Originally just had one centered, so had to first take it off...man that MOLLE was really on there. I won't be worried about it coming off ever..

IMG_5894.jpg

Now finally need to move stuff out of storage under the seats and from the trunk in there to free up some space...

The last thing was during my Bartact install (many months ago) I found this really weird plastic piece on the floor when I was done (picture not mine):

weird_piece.jpg

I was pretty puzzled as to what it could be. There's *a lot* of pulling and sweat involved in that process, so my most immediate worry was I somehow broke part of my heated seats. Anyway, my heated seats still worked, so I put the piece in my closet and thought "I'll figure that out one day". Got really lucky and stumbled upon a thread on the national jl forums asking for an id to a plastic retainer and it was the same that I found! Turns out it's an endcap for the seat rails. Fixed it today! Here's a pic of where it goes:

IMG_5896.jpg

Dain, have you seen the back up cameras that use a rear view mirror as a screen? That's on my short list for my yj.
That is a bit bougie for my CJ. Though after driving the Ram with the back up camera, i do miss it when in the Scrambler.

Dain, have you seen the back up cameras that use a rear view mirror as a screen? That's on my short list for my yj.
I did that for my YJ when I went from 33s-35s. Lost even more visablity out of the rear window.

It's works nice. Fits right over the stock mirror. One thing of note, when you wear polarized sunglasses, you can't see the picture on teh screen and it turn into a mirror. lol

It was worth the $125 I paid on Amazon I think. Works GREAT at night.

Jumping off the deep end here and agreed to help my brother out. He bought this Ford 8.8 off of @SteadfastRanger awhile ago. Thing is, it was setup for a XJ. I'm going to make it work for his TJ.

Barnes 4x4 makes a truss system that keys all the mounting points off of it. You level the truss at 0° when you get the pinion angle where you want it. Pretty slick, and doesn't weld to any cast. Told him I would do it for him. I must have looked like a goober with 3M dual filter face mask, glasses, face shield, ear buds for some music, and over the ear hearing protection. Grabbed a cut off wheel then a grinder, turned on some music and 2 hours later have a clean slate to work with. I definitely enjoed that more than I thought I would, other than the mess. I'm sure my neighbors have to hate me doing this in the closed garage og my townhouse. :ROFLMAO:

Starting to reassemble Johnny 5 tonight. ;)

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

Jumping off the deep end here and agreed to help my brother out. He bought this Ford 8.8 off of @SteadfastRanger awhile ago. Thing is, it was setup for a XJ. I'm going to make it work for his TJ.

Barnes 4x4 makes a truss system that keys all the mounting points off of it. You level the truss at 0° when you get the pinion angle where you want it. Pretty slick, and doesn't weld to any cast. Told him I would do it for him. I must have looked like a goober with 3M dual filter face mask, glasses, face shield, ear buds for some music, and over the ear hearing protection. Grabbed a cut off wheel then a grinder, turned on some music and 2 hours later have a clean slate to work with. I definitely enjoed that more than I thought I would, other than the mess. I'm sure my neighbors have to hate me doing this in the closed garage og my townhouse. :ROFLMAO:

Starting to reassemble Johnny 5 tonight. ;)

View attachment 6047

View attachment 6048

View attachment 6049

View attachment 6050
Looking great!

c2a17ba183514e400d71ffa1bd0b07c9.jpg

The front 489 is in and I have the wheels back on. I have to reposition the steering stabilizer and get the axle centered tomorrow. Getting the axle twisted and all the control arms back on was a real chore in the gravel.
I should have the rear in tomorrow. Measure for new drive shafts and hopefully will be ready to break in by the weekend!

Where are you getting Drive shafts? Adams has some fast service...build In one day, shipping will be a few days.

Where are you getting Drive shafts? Adams has some fast service...build In one day, shipping will be a few days.

Adams is the route I’m am going. 1350 on the front and rear. I’m hoping to have the rear done tomorrow so I can measure and order them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back