Welders

I've been borrowing a buddies Hobart 140 MIG lately, because my cheap HF flux welder isn't up to the task for recent projects. Given my novice welding skills, I'm looking to buy a good quality MIG.  My requirements are I'd like to have a dual voltage model, i.e. 110/220 capable.  I also don't see myself ever having a need for more than 1/4 steel, but looking at the Eastwood MIG 250, it meets and exceeds my requirements.  I know Miller and Lincoln are the go-to choices for welders, but what interests me about the Eastwood model is the price, reviews, portability and 3 year warranty.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Go to TSC and pick up a Hobart. They are the best bang for the $$ I have a Handler 190 and love it. The dual voltage is available, in other models. I need a bigger bottle the lil pony bottle is not large enough. It's a great back up because you know you always run out of gas at the worst time. But I would recommend at least a 80CF.

highlandercj-7 said:
Go to TSC and pick up a Hobart. They are the best bang for the $$ I have a Handler 190 and love it. The dual voltage is available, in other models. I need a bigger bottle the lil pony bottle is not large enough. It's a great back up because you know you always run out of gas at the worst time. But I would recommend at least a 80CF.

I looked at the Hobart Handler 210MVP MIG.  However, it was more expensive than the Eastwood model, had a complicated 5/3/1 warranty and only handled up to 3/8". 

I have a 140 Amp welder that is great for most of my jobs but like you I am interested in something a with a little more power & versatility. After quite a bit of searching and reading reviews I have settled on the ESAB Rebel 215ic combination MIG-Stick-TIG welder (Note they offer the 215 in a variety of packages)

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/esab-rebel-emp-215ic-mig-stick-tig-welder-0558102240 

This kit offers the things I want most, ability to weld up to 3/8 steel, dual voltage, TIG capability, and a long list of available options using standard connections all with a reasonable duty based on my "hobbyist" needs. It is a little pricey at $1,500 ($1,699- $200 rebate) but still cheaper than buying a separate MIG / TIG welders.

The 215ic MIG only configuration comes in at just under a $1,000 ($1,195 -$200 rebate). If you decide you want any or all of the options you can always purchase them as need down the road.

Just one guy's opinion.
Garner

Runner said:
I've been borrowing a buddies Hobart 140 MIG lately, because my cheap HF flux welder isn't up to the task for recent projects. Given my novice welding skills, I'm looking to buy a good quality MIG.  My requirements are I'd like to have a dual voltage model, i.e. 110/220 capable.  I also don't see myself ever having a need for more than 1/4 steel, but looking at the Eastwood MIG 250, it meets and exceeds my requirements.  I know Miller and Lincoln are the go-to choices for welders, but what interests me about the Eastwood model is the price, reviews, portability and 3 year warranty.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Been using a Millermatic 211 for a few years now.  easy to use and will make a novice  weld like a seasoned professional  ( or at least that is the  tag line in the brochure).  It is dual voltage and I have used it to weld up everything from tin to tractor frames.  Just set the wire size and dial the thickness in and make two pieces one.

Cheers 

RattleTrap55 said:
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/esab-rebel-emp-215ic-mig-stick-tig-welder-0558102240 

This kit offers the things I want most, ability to weld up to 3/8 steel, dual voltage, TIG capability, and a long list of available options using standard connections all with a reasonable duty based on my "hobbyist" needs. It is a little pricey at $1,500 ($1,699- $200 rebate) but still cheaper than buying a separate MIG / TIG welders.

The 215ic MIG only configuration comes in at just under a $1,000 ($1,195 -$200 rebate). If you decide you want any or all of the options you can always purchase them as need down the road.
Just one guy's opinion.
Garner

Well if you want to buy one to last a life time and you got the chips. This is the bees knees.. Inverter welders that can do all 3 are a big hell yeah!  Spending that kind of cash I'd go Miller then ESAB.

Well if you want to buy one to last a life time and you got the chips. This is the bees knees.. Inverter welders that can do all 3 are a big hell yeah!  Spending that kind of cash I'd go Miller then ESAB.
[/quote]

But Ian uses a ESAB

Dave Apker

highlandercj-7 said:
I bet he gets paid for it too  :lol

Alas' Stacey David uses Miller  8)

Forgot about Stacey and we like Stacey better cause he used to have a rescue collie.

One day need to learn to weld. It will come in handy when I buy the farm so my collies ahve sheep to work.

Dave Apker

RattleTrap55 said:
I have a 140 Amp welder that is great for most of my jobs but like you I am interested in something a with a little more power & versatility. After quite a bit of searching and reading reviews I have settled on the ESAB Rebel 215ic combination MIG-Stick-TIG welder (Note they offer the 215 in a variety of packages)

Now you've done it Garner. Planted another seed in my head.  I'll likely be picking something up in the next few weeks, so I'll have to read up more on ESAB. 

Rich you can't go wrong with any of the big names Miller, ESAB, Lincoln. The little inverter style, that can do everything is the best way to roll but also the price reflects it. If you want one to last a lifetime and never need an upgrade, you will never regret going that route.

highlandercj-7 said:
If you want one to last a lifetime and never need an upgrade, you will never regret going that route.

That's the plan. I want this to be a "one and done", from the welder perspective.  Now I have to also look at plasma cutters. An oxy acetylene torch is a bit rough for some of the stuff I'd like to do.

Runner said:
highlandercj-7 said:
If you want one to last a lifetime and never need an upgrade, you will never regret going that route.

That's the plan. I want this to be a "one and done", from the welder perspective.  Now I have to also look at plasma cutters. An oxy acetylene torch is a bit rough for some of the stuff I'd like to do.

A friend used a Plasma Cutter (Miller I think) to cut some thick metal brackets for my rear bumper.  Man, it was impressive haw it went through it like butter.  I would have been there for days going through cutting wheels (and possibly more slices to my face) if it were not for that tool.

There's a never used Miller Maxstar 150 in my garage now, thanks to Travis.  A TIG wasn't in the plan, but hey, plans change.  This was to good of a deal to pass up, so I didn't.  Although the welder came with 10 lbs of 7018, I picked up some 3/32 6011, ran a quick test burn, and am blown away at the versatility of this little 14 lb welder.  My initial test run was on 110, with a 220 test having to wait until an outlet gets installed.  My plan is to practice, practice, practice since my bead technique could be improved on significantly!

Resurrecting and piggy backing. All the research I've done is pointing me to the Hobart 210 MVP. Prices have change significantly since this thread started. The 210 is right about a grand. I like the dual power option. I'm gonna build a cart for it so that I can put it in the trailer. That way, next time someone breaks a drag link I can fix it. ;) Assuming it's not aluminum, but maybe eventually since the 210 allows for a spool gun for aluminum. Just don't see me dragging 2 tanks of gas around like that.

I'm ultimately doing this to learn. It's one of the tools I've always wanted to play with. I obviously have a use for it in certain circumstances, I own a Jeep. The miller 215 is double the price, and Hobart is made by Miller anyways. Was concidering the Hobart 200 Multi Process, but it can't do aluminum TIG, so I'm not interested. One day I've love to TIG.

Had the Millermatic 211 for a few years and absolutely loved it, super easy to use and like @R3 said, makes a novice look like they have far more skill than they do.

Stepped up to the Multimatic 220 AC/DC to support stainless and aluminum Tig, and that thing is a beast. Crazy awesome welder that I have spent quite a few hours on. If you want to come try it out, you are welcome any time!

Millermatic and ESAB are the two I would recommend. Like Kevin said the Millermatic is a great and fully supported.

I used Kevin’s Miller and my very first welds made it look easy. I have the Hobart 210 that you mentioned. I like it, but you have to know how to do the adjustments. I am getting better with it, but make sure you have a grinder too 😂

If you want to try the Hobart out, let me know.

You guys running the older transformer base millermatic 211 or the newer inverter?

Found an older transformer based one for a little more than the Hobart, and thinking of jumping on it.

You guys running the older transformer base millermatic 211 or the newer inverter?

Found an older transformer based one for a little more than the Hobart, and thinking of jumping on it.
My two cents, but a good one right off the bat. You will enjoy it and make better welds sooner

Back