Wash Fluid Pump Leak in Cold Temps

Woke up this morning in PA to 2* Temps (w/o Windchill) and a nice umm puddle? under the jeep. All fluids seem to be topped off so best i can think is maybe the reservoir shock blew.

80737d08087bec3e167ced6b8996e77d.jpg

9e56aa3cc1be4fe11399eb166a9f59a9.jpg

Did you check the washer fluid? Looks like it has sort of a blue tint to it and some of that stuff is a summer blend to deal with bugs rather than de icing. I believe the summer stuff is only good down to 32 degrees.

Did you check the washer fluid? Looks like it has sort of a blue tint to it and some of that stuff is a summer blend to deal with bugs rather than de icing. I believe the summer stuff is only good down to 32 degrees.
x2 on this. The washer fluid reservoir is right above this area, and yeah summer mix doesn't like cold temps. Any shock fluid would be oily, and wouldn't crystalize unless much colder, battery is on the opposite corner of the engine compartment.

Try squirting the wiper fluid.

yea digging into it i found a thread talking about the seal on the Pump From the washer fluid reservoir. that when temps get way below freezing it leaks
Thread:
Video:

My Jk
c431db5fd08691654105a479c95d6c55.jpg

My Sisters JK sitting side by side

da98621b8ec783485f07acf34081ae53.jpg

Just had the same thing happen to my 2013 JK. The subzero temps and wind chill we had here last week must have caused the grommet and/or pump to crack. There was a puddle where the pump sits and on top of the spring perch dripping down. Ordered a new pump and grommet/screen.

Will it get cold enough to have the problem again Likely not has it been fixed now with the new rubber style grommet yes

f6685b63483c42a6a01bb45450094c62.jpg

Yeah I ordered the same BMW grommet/screen to hopefully prevent it from happening again.
Not a hard fix at all, just 1 of those pesky "oh come on Jeep engineers...." repairs.

-Clayton

Edited title for anyone searching later.
Part number for the Replacement is
BMW part number 61667006063 (Strainer for wash pump). Very easy swap unless you have to undo an SPOD or similar control box just adds a few minutes

Back