VA4WD Annual Meeting - Report

This is a summary of the things from the meeting I think matter most to NVJA. There were other things such as budget review and nomination of VA4WD officers, but not immediately relevant to us. I have not included that here.

Land Use

Red Cloud
The park was voluntarily shut down by the operator (Jim Underwood) per an agreement with the property owner. This was not the result of environmental, zoning, or insurance issues.  The owner of the property saw the pictures of the flopped vehicle and was concerned about the issues it might cause. The property is currently being returned to its original condition, including removing signs. Watch the Red Cloud Facebook page for more information.

Shoe Creek
There were rumors of the private property owners putting up gates that would effectively close Shoe Creek – ½ mile in the middle of the trail is private property with no legal right of way. Wheelers creating side trails and tearing up property are angering the owners. So far these rumors are unsubstantiated, but VA4WD will be working on contacting these owners to see how we can help prevent further and future damage to their property while keeping the trail open.

Contacting Rangers
When contacting the Rangers, please go through Phil Wolf (landuse@va4wda.org) if possible.  Phil has worked to develop these contacts and has a rapport with them. A unified and consistent front is more likely to get results.

VA4WD Trail Cleanup—Union Springs:
A ranger should be there.  Eric (me) is hoping to work out something with the ranger that day where we can run the trail and discuss open and closed locations. VA4WD will be providing food. Campers must pay their own way.

More information on this event is here: http://novajeepers.net/index.php?topic=21707

Other Business

United 4WDA
There is a 4WD Awareness class that this organization does. The U4WDA hasn't been very active in a few years but there is new leadership so hopefully we will see more. U4WDA is only OHV vehicles.

Blue Ribbon Coalition
BRC advocates for all vehicular recreation (ATVs, Snowmobiles, etc.). Last year there was a trail in utah that closed, I believe “Trail 53.” The local club fought to keep it open and lost.  After the closing, BRC got involved and got the trail re-opened. This is an INCREDIBLE feat as once trails close they practically NEVER re-open. Very active organization. VA4WD members get a discounted membership rate for BRC.

North Carolina Beach Buggy Association
NCBBA has been working to maintain and improve access to OBX beaches. Recently won a victory when Congress (or state?) was forced to revert to access laws from several years ago and redraw protection areas. Current access maps are available on their website - http://ncbbaonline.com/

VA4WD:
  • Now has close to 700 members.
  • There is an fund where VA4WD will pay for expenses of any project on public land, up to $500 per project. NVJA should take advantage of this fund and work with the FS and VA4WD to improve trail markings on Flagpole.
  • VA4WD received several winches at discounted price and plan to give away a winch at every event have. They are looking at coming the NVJA Show and Shine as well.
  • VA4WD was advertised on a rig at KOH. Look for Ted Szego online for more information.
  • VA4WD has a Members Only ride at the cove the first weekend in May.  Last year I think they said there were 28 Jeeps. THAT'S IT.  This could be a great way to get to the cove in a less crowded environment.  Think about joining if you haven't already! It is at a discounted Big Dogs rate (Cove camping rates still apply and are in addition, as usual).

NVJA
Eric (me) was invited to speak on behalf of NVJA “coming back into the fold” (everyone seems to think we were a part of VA4WD but then stopped?  I didn't think we ever were, but…)  I gave a brief summary of our club, said we were excited to be a part of VA4WD, and plugged the Show and Shine. It should be in their next newsletter.

Other Notes:
  • Starr Motors (where the event was held, in Chesapeake, VA) has a small off road course behind the dealership. They will have an Off Road Day on May 9th.
  • The Club of the Year was Rock Ridge Offroad.  NVJA should aim to be the club of the year for 2015!

Back